Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:16 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 lease renewal denied 
 Post subject: lease renewal denied
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:59 pm 

This is tangental to this forum, but I need some advice regarding signage.

There was recently a break-in at the apartments where I'm staying. As a personal security measure, I posted the following 8.5" x 11" sign in my apartment window:

Nothing in Here is Worth Your Life

[photo of AR15]

We Don’t Call 911

I shortly thereafter received a letter from the apartment manager that unless I removed the 'offensive sign' from my window, they would refuse to renew my lease (end of March).

Can anyone offer, or direct me toward, a qualified opinion on my legal standing?

Thanks.[/img]

Last edited by Alpinist on Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:11 pm 

You're S.O.L.
Bottom line: you can't force someone to enter into a contract.
You want to plaster your windows with stuff like that, buy a house. :roll:

Post subject: Re: lease renewal denied
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

Did you ask him what, precisely, was offensive? Maybe he's one of those old-school thirty-caliber guys, and a picture of an M-1 would be OK.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pat Cannon wrote:
Did you ask him what, precisely, was offensive? Maybe he's one of those old-school thirty-caliber guys, and a picture of an M-1 would be OK.

You made me spit up my milk :lol:

Once you lease is over they can refuse to renew for any reason and so can you! If they tried to kick you out before that then you would have a leg to stand on. Let us know how it goes.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:32 pm 

At this point, I'll be shocked if they renew you at all. I'd keep my eyes open for a new place if I were you. They now think/know you're a gun guy. If they didn't like the sign, they aren't going to keep ya around.

This was a good reminder for me, as I was thinking about selling my place and renting for awhile closer to my job. I think I'll just keep enjoying my longer commute..

My Homebrew journal http://brew.goalie.cx

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:00 pm 

Pat Cannon wrote:

That was great! :lol: Yeah, I don't think caliber is the issue here, especially since 'he' is a 'she'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

If you ever, heaven forbid, have to use one of your guns, expect the police and the "victim's" lawyer to portray you as someone predisposed to shoot and a danger to others. Do you really want a picture of that sign on the 10 PM news while they interview your neighbors?

The other reason that the sign is a poor idea is that it's just advertising "guns to steal here"!

YMMV

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:59 am 

They can't prevent you from keeping weapons in your apartment - that's the law.

I suppose it's a gray area on whether or not they can deny your lease based on something they would deem "offensive." I say you might check your current lease and building rules to see if they say anything about it.

Take it down, sign the lease, then put it back up. Then you'll really find out how far they're willing to go - not that I suggest it may be wise for a pleasant living experience to continue annoying your building management.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:31 am 
The Man

Greg wrote:
If you ever, heaven forbid, have to use one of your guns, expect the police and the "victim's" lawyer to portray you as someone predisposed to shoot and a danger to others. Do you really want a picture of that sign on the 10 PM news while they interview your neighbors?

The other reason that the sign is a poor idea is that it's just advertising "guns to steal here"!

YMMV
Yup; what he said.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:27 am 

Thanks for the input. Clearly I have some cultural adjustments to make here. Regarding any worrying about how such a sign might portray me to the police and the deceased's lawyer, in Idaho such matters rarely make it to civil or criminal court, given the Castle Doctrine in place there. If someone breaks in, you neutralize the threat, the police take statements, end of story. I think you even get to bill the intruder's family for cleanup. :wink:

Regarding the sign as advertising 'guns to steal here', that's pretty much a given in Idaho, needing no announcement. It's hard to find a house that doesn't have at least a couple of firearms inside. In fact, you may have recently seen in the news that Greenleaf, ID, just passed an ordinance strongly recommending that all households have at least one firearm with matching ammo.

Just a whole different mindset there, where self defense is not tolerated, it's expected.

All your comments are appreciated.

John

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares shall plow for those who don't."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:57 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Put up another sign above the current one: "This building is losing a tennant due to this sign and lack of security"

Unfortunately, apartments, townhomes, and any residential place with an "association", doesn't want anything on the outside that upsets the plain brown wrappers.

I say move.

The instigator in me (as if the first idea wasn't enough) says to take the sign down, and as soon as the ink dries on another year lease: Put it back up. (If your lease defaults to a month to month, you are still in danger of terminating your lease. So, sign another one if you want to stay. But, ask for a discount on your rent since you are guaranteeing them a renter for the next year.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:20 pm 

I really like Pakrat's (devilish) approach. Since this is temp housing while we house hunt, and expect to be in a place soon, and have until the end of March on the lease, it's not a life or death matter. It would, however, be helpful to understand my rights in case there is a delay in our home purchase. And that is how I started this thread. If someone can stay on topic and point me to established Minnesota law regarding relevant tenant rights, I welcome that. If you'd rather evaluate my security protocol. please stand down.

Thanks again,
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:46 pm 

Darned if I can remember, but there is a MPLS based tenants' union of some sort with all kinds of helpful info in dealing with leases and landlords. Google should be able to help. Otherwise, it's in the contract (usually defined as rules to be followed that are listed elsewhere) or not. My rental days are past, but I seem to remember they usually had a clause about putting things in the window and posting notices and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:49 pm 

Mn Landlord Tenant law is overseen by the Mn Attorney Generals Office.
Here is a link to a PDF that covers most of the highlights

https://www.ag.state.mn.us/Brochures/pu ... enants.pdf

Another great resource for Tenants is the Minnesota Multi Housing Association.

http://www.mmha.com

They are geared a little more towards the Landlord side but are a good resource with helpful people that will talk to you on the phone. (at least they used to)

The "joke" (if you will) in the land of 10,000 taxes is, the tenants have more rights than the landlords.

I may be able to help you out with a referral for a real estate attorney, but hopefully you will not need one.

Respectfully,
John
www.RealServiceNow.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:47 pm 

Don't forget this one:
Quote:
MN State Statute §624.714, Subd. 17

(e) A landlord may not restrict the lawful carry or possession of firearms by tenants or their guests.

Andrew conveniently rounded up all the applicable firearm-related laws in the Reference Section of the forum.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.