Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:20 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Hennepin County Library 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:47 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
I do need a favor, though. Could someone who lives nearby please take a couple of good digital camera shots of the sign, and email them to David?

It's the least I can do. What's the address (cross streets are fine).

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ unknown

Never been tazered. (yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:49 am 
Activist Extraordinaire

I didn't mind the cuffing, I expected that, it was the verbal abuse that rubbed me the wrong way, especially given that I was extremely polite. Oh well, I suppose they're caught in the middle, too.

They returned my pistols magazines out and slides locked back outside of the library. (I had a BUG as well).

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:50 am 
Longtime Regular

I'll tote my camera with me to work tomorrow and take the long way home to grab some photos for you unless someone else beats me to it...

-Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:58 am 
Journeyman Member

Congrats and thanks for doing this,

It sounds like you were the perfect representative for us – polite, well mannered and knowledgeable.

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

Must be this one:

5280 Grandview Square
Edina, MN 55436

I'll get the pics later today.

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ unknown

Never been tazered. (yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

Reaver, my hat is off to you. Excellent job. Keep us updated. This might be worth a complaint to the supervisors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:12 pm 

Geez, I go to a meeting for a couple of hours, come back and...

These are fast developments on an old thread.

I was going to suggest we continue to get the county attorney to define themselves, then call the Edina cops a few days in advance, then if the county refuses to obey the law, the open carry option is a strategy worth considering.

But I tend to be methodical, and a plodder.

Thanks for being polite. Good job on your reasoning and arguments.

Events may have passed me by on this, but I did hear back from the County attorney yesterday with a definition of a dangerous weapon. I'll post that in a little while.

I also put in another call today, asking what precipitated them putting up the signs, and why they use different wording at Edina vs. Southdale. Haven't got an answer yet.

For what it's worth, my one involvement with an officer Moir (presumably the same one?) of the Edina PD was pretty positive. He was forced to write a parking ticket for me when a neighbor invoked an obscure law,and then repeatedly insisted they ticket me (I was parking in front of my house, a crime in Edina, even though all my neighbors had done it for 15 years and never been ticketed). Anyway, he was sympathetic, and ratted out the jerk neighbor who made the call.

I don't condone rudeness on the part of the police, but I can uderstand them getting a little stressed over a man with a gun call. That's why I would have waited longer for the county to force the issue, and then given the police a heads up, so they could review the law, prior to making the confrontation. But that's just this man's opinion.

Last edited by bab on Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:24 pm 
Activist Extraordinaire

yes, it's the Grandview location.

To whoever is taking the pictures, David is requesting 3 shots

1 overall of the entire front of the library with the sign, to get perspective.

2 a medium shot of the door, also with the sign

3 a nice tight closeup of the sign itself.

Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:26 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Holy Shit that was awesome. I had figured reaver left, that's why no more posts. But, actually getting 'it' from the cops... wow. Bravo.

bab wrote:
For what it's worth, my one involvement with an officer Moir (presumably the same one?) of the Edina PD was pretty positive. He was forced to write a parking ticket for me when a neighbor invoked an obscure law,and then repeatedly insisted they ticket me (I was parking in front of my house, a crime in Edina, even though all my neighbors had done it for 15 years and never been ticketed). Anyway, he was sympathetic, and ratted out the jerk neighbor who made the call.

8 hour law? I lived in Edina and after getting 1 warning for parking on Vernon (main street near my house), I parked there frequently. Got a verbal warning (very nice, officers didn't want to have to ticket me) every other day. They just said, you can't park on the street for more than 8 hours at a time.

Quote:
I don't condone rudeness on the part of the police, but I can uderstand them getting a little stressed over a man with a gun call. That's why I would have waited longer for the county to force the issue, and then given the police a heads up, so they could review the law, prior to making the confrontation. But that's just this man's opinion.

I think someone needs to call their cheif and educate him. I would volunteer phorvick (did a great job with my incident), but he's not from this area. I don't know how much weight it would hold.

Aquaholic wrote:
Is tresspassing (I'd guess that's what he'd be charged with, he refused to leave once notified) an arrestable offense? Or a ticket-type, appear in court later offense?

I believe it's only ticketable. But, the police can certainly remove you from the premisis. If you fight at all, then you're looking at disorderly conduct also, which I think is arrestable.

I don't live far from that library. I have not been in it since it was built. If no one beats me, I can take pictures.

Anyone taking pictures, be sure to open carry!

Last edited by Pakrat on Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

If you can wait till tomarrow I will drive down and take the pictures. Would be a good opertunity to use my Nikon D70s somemore. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:33 pm 

OK, just checked my voice mail. I may post verbatim transcripts later if time allows, but for now I'll paraphrase my two messages from the County Attorneys Office.

1. Definition of a Dangerous Weapon: Any gun, loaded or unloaded, or any device intended to cause GBH or death, etc...

So they are definitely intending to include guns in their use of "dangerous weapons" .

2. They flat out admitted that the signs are in response to the Personal Protection Act. Or as he said the "Concealed Carry Law". You'd think the County Attorney would be a little more legally precise than that :roll: .

He went on to say that any business could post its property against carry. He didn't address the fact that a library is not a private business, but is obviously assuming it somehow magically applies to them too. He also didn't address the fact that they are posted improperly (didn't follow the specified wording).

He cited a petty misdemeanor as the penalty for ignoring a posting on private property, and said the penalty would be more harsh on public property, though he didn't know exactly what it would be. He did not address the reason for the different wording between libraries with courts next to them and those without, though that may be my fault. I probably didn't phrase the question very clearly.

Oh, and I live very close to the library, and would gladly take the photos, but I don't own a digital camera.
The library might be a little hard to find for the unfamiliar. It is 1/2 block South of Vernon, and about 2 blocks West of Highway 100. It is about 200 yards southwest of the Jerrys market.

Last edited by bab on Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:35 pm 
Activist Extraordinaire

thanks everyone, but i think aquaholic is going to take the pics later today. I don't want to crash David's email with a million copies. aquaholic, if you CAN'T do it let me know and i'll ask someone else.

thanks again everyone, your help is greatly appreciated.

Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:36 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

bab wrote:
He cited a petty misdemeanor as the penalty for ignoring a posting on private property, and said the penalty would be more harsh on public property,...

He acknowledges the library is public property, but does not acknowledge that it is a governmental entity?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have to ask, is it possible that the library is a business? I do not see how it can be, but that seems to be the crux of the County Attorneys argument.

On the other hand, maybe they passed an ordinance under some "home rule" law that they think trumps preemption or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

I don't think the attorney thinks that libraries are businesses. I think he is just vaguely familiar with the law as it is written.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.