Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:25 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Hennepin County Library 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

The photos are covered, I will get them this afternoon. I saw the post about the required shots, no problem. I also have a map to the library, shouldn't be tough.

Gee, I wonder what they'd do if they knew I was carrying my gun while looking at their PUBLIC web page? :roll:

And though I've never done it before, I WILL open carry while taking the photos. :D

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ unknown

Never been tazered. (yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:50 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

http://www.hclib.org/pub/info/AboutHCL.cfm

"The Library is a department of Hennepin County Government. "

Also, public place (as in- where we can carry) includes any land controlled by a governmental agency. Thus, even if it were a private business on public property, it's my opinion we cannot be banned.

Last edited by Pakrat on Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:51 pm 

Keep in mind that I'm conversing with a staffer (i.e. young attorney) on their help line, not the actual attorney. There is probably a mixture of accidental and intentional disinformation coming back at me. Though it would be interesting to know what the proportions are :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm guessing mostly ignorance. I would also guess that there is likely not one attorney in that office who knows that law in detail without reference to the actual statutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pakrat wrote:
"The Library is a department of Hennepin County Government. "

Cool :)

That leaves only the possibility of a local ordinance, which should be preempted.

Just wondering - what would happen if say 50 polite permit holders, carrying openly, were to visit the afore mentioned library? Just a whimsical thought...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pakrat wrote:
If you fight at all, then you're looking at disorderly conduct also, which I think is arrestable.

If you resist you would be arrested for Obstructing Justice a gross mis. Cause any harm to the Officer and you're Obstructing with force which is a felony. Disorderly conduct does not really apply because the Police can not be a complainant on a disorderly. They would need a bystander to be willing to testify that they were alarmed by your actions. Even if they got that for obstructing justice, I don't think it would really fly. Not an attorney. Just my .02.

Post subject: Just on the off-chance that somebody's willing to take ...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:02 pm 
The Man

... advice from me on this, here's some:

1. Good tests/test cases are either carefully manufactured or lucked into. If this is a good case, and it's been lucked into, the big luck in that is getting David Gross involved.

2. If this isn't a good one for David to move the ball forward with, there's no point in doing things like open carrying there now (and generating more attention); it's a break-even-or-lose proposition.

3. If David's involved, don't complicate his job for him. If he wants photos, get him photos, not further police contacts. If he wants further police contacts, he'll let somebody know (I predict that he won't). If he wants calls/letters/emails to the local authority (I predict he won't), he'll let somebody know. Right now, he's asked for three photos, so please give him those three photos, and -- and this is important -- don't do anything else involving this library, Edina, or the county for the time being.

Just to be clear, I haven't called David about this, and I'm speaking for me, not for him. I don't mess with his cases, or his clients or his relationships with his clients.

But I will say that I strongly doubt that Reaver could be, if David takes his situation on, in better hands.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

I defer to your advice Joel. Pictures only.

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

I am thinking I need to print off Mr. Gross' contact information and give it a home directly underneath my DL and permit...

-Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:20 pm 
Activist Extraordinaire

Sound advice from Joel, thanks a lot. I am only doing what David is telling me to do, no more, no less.

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:35 pm 
Journeyman Member

e5,

I have a laminated card with the following info:

Front side -

My lawyer has told me not to talk to anyone about my case, to not answer questions, and to not reply to accusations.

Call my lawyer if you want to ask me questions, search my person or my property, do any tests, do any lineups, or any other I.D. procedures. I do not agree to any of these things without my lawyer present.

I do not want to waive any of my Constitutional Rights.

Back side -

Brian Toder (651) 653-0990
David Gross (612) 545-1091 (612) 720-8856
Andrew Rothman MADFI (952) 401-3369

plus my wife and brothers phone numbers (emerg contact).

I know that David Gross' numbers are old - I haven't had a chance to update my card.

I stole this idea from PlusP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:39 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

reaver, how long is the trespass warning? I think they can only do 30 days for something non-criminal...

So, reaver is out if we were to do any organized events at the library. :twisted:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:02 pm 

Well the County libraries in other cities are posted the same way, so if one wanted to he could raise the issue repeatedly even after one city warns you, however... I'm with Joel on this. I think everyone should sit tight and let today's events be fully digested before considering any further action. Further actions will just annoy the people we are trying to educate, and be counter productive.

For my part I'm going to quit calling the county attorney.

If this issue peters out somehow, without a satisfactory resolution, we can always press the issue then. Lets cross that bridge if and when we come to it.

I am going to stop by the library on my way home, just to see if it is still standing after todays shock :wink: Hopefully nobody will scream "GRAB HIM!!! HE'S GOT A KEY CHAIN KNIFE!!!" :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

The photos were taken and just emailed to David Gross. I'm glad to have been able to help.

Please keep us informed, Doug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:43 pm 
Delicate Flower

Geez..............missed all the excitement. Need a MDT in my work truck.
Handled it well reaver.......I suggest all concerned follow Joel's advice and let things play out.

Good idea on the laminated card. Gonna make one myself.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.