Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:08 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport 
 Post subject: Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:00 am 

FYI

A federal judge on Monday upheld a gun ban at the world’s busiest airport, dealing a
blow to gun rights groups who argued a new Georgia law authorized them to pack
heat in certain parts of the Atlanta airport. U.S. District Judge Marvin Shoob
expressed concern that allowing guns at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International
Airport could cause significant economic damage and could be a “serious threat to
public safety and welfare.” His decision rejected a request by GeorgiaCarry.org that
would have temporarily allowed gun owners to carry their weapons in the airport until
his final ruling on the gun ban —a challenge that could likely last months. The legal
showdown erupted when the state law that allows people with a concealed weapons
permit to carry guns into restaurants, state parks and on public transportation took
effect on July 1. City officials quickly declared the airport a “gun-free zone” and
warned that anyone carrying a gun there would be arrested. GeorgiaCarry.org sued
the city and the airport, claiming that the airport qualifies asmass transportation
under the new state law. Attorney John Monroe told the judge repeatedly that no law
makes it a crime for residents with permits to bring their guns into terminals, parking
lots and other unsecured areas. Meanwhile, airport officials are quietly devising a
backup plan. They have asked the Transportation Security Administration to amend
the airport’s federal security program so that guns are banned in all areas, including
certain parking facilities. TSA officials said the agency is reviewing the request, the
first such appeal it has ever received. Rep. Bennie Thompson, the chairman of the
House Homeland Security Committee, has also urged the agency to strengthen its restrictions and warned that Congress could intervene if national regulations are not
adopted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:08 am 
Longtime Regular

I'm in Atlanta right now ... it obviously has major crime problems. Every parking lot has a security guard. Last night at Walmart they had two security guards in the lot and armed cops in the store. I wasn't sure if the cops were after the employees or the customers as both groups seemed more derelict than what I'm used to. Reciprocity made me feel better prepared but not safer.

BIG contrast with Branson, Missouri (was there two nights ago). At Branson I actually felt safe. I didn't see any security people or police (on foot) and none seemed needed. Honestly, I've never been anywhere in my life that I felt safer; not due to any police presence but rather the demeanor and appearance of the people.

Looks like Atlanta might set a precedent on the airport rule :(

Last edited by lance22 on Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:06 pm 
On time out

It will fall on appeal, as the judge clearly ignored the law and the issues, and said so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
It will fall on appeal, as the judge clearly ignored the law and the issues, and said so.

Yes, but the judge knows full well that bench decrees and department policy supercede the Constitution.

Didn't you realize that?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.