Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:37 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 I had no idea shooting a 9mm was so hard! 
 Post subject: I had no idea shooting a 9mm was so hard!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

http://www.startribune.com/stories/467/5647951.html

Quote:
Judge rules that priest killed two men
Randy Furst, Star Tribune
October 4, 2005

HUDSON, Wis. -- A St. Croix County judge ruled today that the Rev. Ryan Erickson, who killed himself last December, probably murdered two men at a funeral home in Hudson on Feb. 5, 2002.

<snip>

Erickson owned 16 firearms and was proficient in weapons, including the 9-mm pistol, which was the caliber of gun used in the killings. Proficiency with handguns was "critical evidence" because 99 percent of the population could not use such a gun, Lundell said. Police have not found the murder weapon, however.

<snip>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:40 pm 

Does it make those of us who can shoot one bad? Maybe he thinks you have to hold it sideways!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:41 pm 
Delicate Flower

Doesn't make you bad .....just part of the 1%. That's better than I ever did in school........... :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

I sent him a polite email -- inviting him to the range. We'll see if he is one of the mystical one percent as well.

Post subject: A member of the elite 1%
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:45 am 

:shock: Wow, I didn't realize I kept such good company. Imagine, to be a member of the 1% of the population that can shoot a 9mm. Maybe he is confusing 9mm with 911.

Occam's Razor:
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything.
Visit us at www.ddht.us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:01 am 

Wow, my whole family is gifted because they can shoot 9mm quite well. Heck, even my 12 yo son shoots a 9mm. Come to think of it, everyone that I know, even the one's that don't really shoot can shoot a 9. Even my wife and I think she's pumped off about 25 rounds her entire life - total.

Maybe that's where all our tax dollars go, supporting this mystical 99% of the population that noone can find.

Post subject: My daughter
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:09 am 

JCinMN wrote:
Wow, my whole family is gifted because they can shoot 9mm quite well. Heck, even my 12 yo son shoots a 9mm. Come to think of it, everyone that I know, even the one's that don't really shoot can shoot a 9. Even my wife and I think she's pumped off about 25 rounds her entire life - total.

Maybe that's where all our tax dollars go, supporting this mystical 99% of the population that noone can find.

My 15 year old daughter who ways 95lbs and is left handed can not only shoot a 9mm accuratly and defensively but a 40S&W, a 45ACP, 357 and 44mags as well not to metion a whole bunch of evil assault rifles. That must make her somewhere in the 1% of the 1% of people who can't shoot a 9mm. 8)

Occam's Razor:
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything.
Visit us at www.ddht.us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:31 am 
Longtime Regular

Lets see here...

The population of Minnesota is about 4,920,000 so 1% 49,200
The population of Wisconsin is about 5,360,000 so 1% 53,600

That is a lot of people, but I think a lot more people can shoot a 9mm firearm.

The person making the 1% statement reminds me a lot of the FBI (I think) Agent who was waving a Glock about in a classroom full of kids saying he was the only one that had the training to handle such a weapon and then proceeded to shoot himself in the foot... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:56 am 
Longtime Regular

Mr. Furst was kind enough to write back. He said each victim was killed by a single head shot.

That's competent -- but not exceptional -- shooting, at room distances.

Post subject: Room distances
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:53 am 

I agree, considering the average room is 8'-12' by the same thats competent but by no means exceptional. Unless, of course, the room was pitch black and there were not any night sights or other illuminating devices used. Anymore details?

Occam's Razor:
Visit us at www.ddht.us

Post subject: It was a DEA Agent, and I hope he no longer is an agent
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:16 pm 

grayskys wrote:
Lets see here...

The person making the 1% statement reminds me a lot of the FBI (I think) Agent who was waving a Glock about in a classroom full of kids saying he was the only one that had the training to handle such a weapon and then proceeded to shoot himself in the foot... :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Virgin Teaching Sex
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

It may be the case that they think the 9mm is some whopper of a round or, they think that it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to hit a target from 15 feet ... no big deal as I've come to expect a lot less from them. For all I know, the writer thinks the 9mm is the pistol itself (not the cartridge).

I think the Strib writer did a remarkable job of reporting because he could have said, for instance, that the 9mm can shoot through schools, espcailly so with cop killer bullets manufactured by the NRA.

I used to have a vehemently anti-gun friend that routinely said some of the most asinine things about guns / ballistics. Despite many conversations, I just could not convince him that the .223 Remington was less powerful than an atom-bomb :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:05 pm 
on probation

grayskys wrote:
Lets see here...

NOT FBI but DEA agent

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Virgin Teaching Sex
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:39 pm 

lance22 wrote:

I used to have a vehemently anti-gun friend that routinely said some of the most asinine things about guns / ballistics. Despite many conversations, I just could not convince him that the .223 Remington was less powerful than an atom-bomb :lol:

I deal with those people by asking, if the 5.56/.223 is sooooo powerful, why is it not powerful enough to legally hunt deer with in MN???? They usually give a look similar to a deer in the headlights......

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

I do apologize for getting the agency wrong.

Thank you IDPA Shooter and LastGunShop for correcting me :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.