Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:17 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 I know, just what you wanted... another CC'ing LIBERAL. 
 Post subject: Re: I know, just what you wanted... another CC'ing LIBERAL.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

Uncle Harley wrote:
Give your ego a rest.

MODERATOR MESSAGE:
Give the forum rules a look.

Personal attacks are not allowed. You're on thin ice and you won't get a second warning.

- Andrew Rothman, Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:04 pm 

Uncle Harley wrote:
Dude, you've got so much mixed fruit up in the air here, it defies serious and reasoned inquiry. Your argument is completely a "straw man" in both character and content.
Quote:
Straw man. This is the fallacy of refuting a caricatured or extreme version of somebody's argument, rather than the actual argument they've made. Often this fallacy involves putting words into somebody's mouth by saying they've made arguments they haven't actually made, in which case the straw man argument is a veiled version of argumentum ad logicam. ... The fact that some arguments made for a policy are wrong does not imply that the policy itself is wrong.

http://www.csun.edu/~dgw61315/fallacies.html#Straw%20man

Actually, it is a subsititution argument, and it is as logical as the substitution is.

Are you saying that the 2nd amendment is lesser than the other basic rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:08 pm 
Prolix Pontificator

mrokern wrote:
Uncle Harley wrote:
rudy wrote:
Uncle Harley wrote:
Adding guns to youth, improvidence, inexperience, raging hormones and the immaturity that characterizes college students as a class, is simply adding fuel to the fire. Expecting enough pistol-packing college students to drink in bars and stay at or under .04 BAC, such that the threat of a shots-fired incident in a crowded area is rendered negligible, is not only pollyannish and idealistic, it's ludicrous.

Since you're calling out logical fallacies, this is a hasty generalization.

Quote:
A hasty generalization is one in which there is an insufficient number of instances on which to base the generalization.

http://www.sjsu.edu/depts/itl/graphics/adhom/general.html

Do you have some statistics to back your statement, or simply anecdotes?

Pointlessly argumentative. It's common knowlege. Give your ego a rest. The literature is so replete with statistics THAT INSURANCE ACTUARIES BANK ON IT. Insurance companies are so highly regulated that they'd never get away with charging different rates for drivers under 25 if the issue wasn't a well-settled matter.

Start with google, you can't help but find something. It's well-known scientific fact that most people's brains aren't fully physiologically developed until their early to mid-twenties, particularly in the areas governing the cognitive functions of reason and judgment. Start here with this excellent overview from the National Juvenile Justice Network. ---> http://www.njjn.org/media/resources/public/resource_242.pdf

No difference between a college freshman and an 18 year old US Army Private, except one can carry a gun during everyday activities...

College students are adults. Some of them may not want to act like it, and then they find out that the courts don't give a shit about their tuition dollars or GPA. That's fine. But the rest shouldn't get penalized...

-Mark

Mark, your analogy of the Army Private possessing weapons is misplaced. I was a Private at one time. I know the rigorous supervision and controls that are imposed on Privates possessing weapons. With the exception of war zones, where military personnel have relatively unfettered access to their weapons, those weapons are turned into the Armorer after every duty shift. Moreover, in war zones, no armed Private is ever going to be allowed to leave his cantonment area during "everyday activities" while he is liquored up. Therefore, the risk to the general pubic is negligible.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:13 pm 
Prolix Pontificator

akodo wrote:
Uncle Harley wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:
Dude, you've got so much mixed fruit up in the air here, it defies serious and reasoned inquiry. Your argument is completely a "straw man" in both character and content.
Quote:
Straw man. This is the fallacy of refuting a caricatured or extreme version of somebody's argument, rather than the actual argument they've made. Often this fallacy involves putting words into somebody's mouth by saying they've made arguments they haven't actually made, in which case the straw man argument is a veiled version of argumentum ad logicam. ... The fact that some arguments made for a policy are wrong does not imply that the policy itself is wrong.

http://www.csun.edu/~dgw61315/fallacies.html#Straw%20man

Actually, it is a subsititution argument, and it is as logical as the substitution is.

Are you saying that the 2nd amendment is lesser than the other basic rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights?

It's not a valid substitution argument. The substituted argument must logically fit within the context in which it is being analyzed. How do voting rights have anything to do with the perils of youthful immaturity being paired with alcohol and dangerous instrumentality in a public health and safety context?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:15 pm 

Quote:
A reasonable person simply can't rationally argue with dogma, ideology and inanity. That's your issue to deal with.

HA HA HA HA HA!

Let me rephrase how you have countered Rothman's arguments so far.

All my 'facts' are common knowledge, all my comparisons are reasonable and fair, all my conclusions are logical, all my hyperbole are on-target. Yours are not, so rather than address them and defeat them with ease I will slap them with negative labels and hope you do not notice I have defeated zero of them logically.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:17 pm 
Prolix Pontificator

pappy87 wrote:
Quote:
Uncle Harley wrote:

Adding guns to youth, improvidence, inexperience, raging hormones and the immaturity that characterizes college students as a class, is simply adding fuel to the fire. Expecting enough pistol-packing college students to drink in bars and stay at or under .04 BAC, such that the threat of a shots-fired incident in a crowded area is rendered negligible, is not only pollyannish and idealistic, it's ludicrous.

I'm a college student, just 21, have my permit, never even been .001 BAC while carrying. I do go out quite a bit, but its just a no-issue for me, no carrying if I'm drinking, and no drinking if I'm carrying.

If only every adult, regardless of their age, was as responsible as you, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Best wishes for a safe and productive academic career. --Uncle Harley

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:18 pm 

Quote:
The substituted argument must logically fit within the context in which it is being analyzed. How do voting rights have anything to do with the perils of youthful immaturity being paired with alcohol and dangerous instrumentality in a public health and safety context?

"The substituted argument must logically fit within the context in which it is being analyzed"

Please cite this rule.

Second, it fits logically within the context because in all cases you are using 'public good' to abridge a basic human right.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:21 pm 
Prolix Pontificator

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Uncle Harley wrote:
A densely populated urban city should be allowed to prohibit the possession of semi-automatic, high-capacity, high-power assault rifles in multi-unit housing.

Could you please tell me which is more powerful: a "semi-automatic, high-capacity, high-power" AR-15 "assault rifle," or a humble Ruger Model 77 bolt action hunting rifle? Which one should be banned, again?

Here's a hint:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/30-06.htm
Quote:
Current factory loads drive a 55 grain bullet at 3,240 fps at the muzzle. Muzzle energy is 1,282 ft. lbs.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/223rem.htm
Quote:
The regular .30-06 factory load for the 165 grain spitzer, regarded by many as the best general purpose bullet weight for the .30-06, gives a MV of 2,800 fps and ME of 2,872 ft. lbs.

Oh, I noticed that your views on firearms are missing from your MySpace page. Are you only a gun owner when you visit gun boards?

Andrew, take your finger off the trigger. You obviously haven't read my initial post carefully. There's a link to a post in my MySpace blog where I do a balancing of interests analysis between 1st Amend. freedom of association and 2nd Amend right to bear arms. I hope you find it informative.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:29 pm 
Prolix Pontificator

akodo wrote:
Quote:
The substituted argument must logically fit within the context in which it is being analyzed. How do voting rights have anything to do with the perils of youthful immaturity being paired with alcohol and dangerous instrumentality in a public health and safety context?

"The substituted argument must logically fit within the context in which it is being analyzed"

Please cite this rule.

Second, it fits logically within the context because in all cases you are using 'public good' to abridge a basic human right.

It's not called public interest law for nothing! :mrgreen: Carrying a gun in public isn't a "basic human right". Read the Declaration of Independence about inalienable human rights. 2nd Amend. rights are created by the U.S. Constitution. They expressed the will of the polity as represented by their elected constitutional conveners, you know, the guys that authored and signed the Constitution.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

Uncle Harley wrote:
pappy87 wrote:
Quote:
Uncle Harley wrote:

I'm a college student, just 21, have my permit, never even been .001 BAC while carrying. I do go out quite a bit, but its just a no-issue for me, no carrying if I'm drinking, and no drinking if I'm carrying.

If only every adult, regardless of their age, was as responsible as you, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Best wishes for a safe and productive academic career. --Uncle Harley

The chance that someone might not be is no reason to deny someone else their natural rights.

While public policy adheres to the whole of society, rights only adhere to the individual. If you let policy dictate which rights each citizen may use, you might as well not have rights at all.

So far, you have failed to address anything I have said to you, and when addressing the valid objections of others, you have responded with pure argumentativeness. Granted, it has been rather long-winded argumentativeness, laced with the hallmarks of scholarship. But argumentativeness it remains. It seems to me that you will be quite happy in your ivory tower, but the rest of us have to live out here in the real world. What's more you have failed to show that you are any kind of "liberal", and instead make purely elitist arguments.

I have said that you are running the risk of being labeled a troll. That risk has only increased, the more you say. Had you not led with all this business, and instead become more a part of our online community, you no doubt would have rankled less. But since this is the way you start off, I am led to surmise that it was entirely your intention from the very moment you joined. I cannot guess what emotional state you must be in to need this sort of validation, but it does make me sad.

You should take Andrew's warning to heart, if you wish to continue contributing.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:43 pm 

Uncle Harley wrote:

Pointlessly argumentative. It's common knowlege. Give your ego a rest. The literature is so replete with statistics THAT INSURANCE ACTUARIES BANK ON IT. Insurance companies are so highly regulated that they'd never get away with charging different rates for drivers under 25 if the issue wasn't a well-settled matter.

This has nothing to do with ego--it has to do with you backing the garbage you're spewing and labeling as fact. Show me a correlation between young permit holders and propensity for shooting people at bars. As aforementioned, driving is a privilege not a right; therefore, the situation of a young permit holder and a young driver are rather dissimilar.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:44 pm 

Uncle Harley wrote:
It's not called public interest law for nothing! :mrgreen: Carrying a gun in public isn't a "basic human right". Read the Declaration of Independence about inalienable human rights. 2nd Amend. rights are created by the U.S. Constitution. They expressed the will of the polity as represented by their elected constitutional conveners, you know, the guys that authored and signed the Constitution.

The right to self-defense is a basic human right, and a gun is an important tool of defense. Liberty is also a basic human right, and as a libertarian restricting someones rights is unjust. Does your view point as a liberal mean you believe the public interest trumps the right of individuals?

In a big country dreams stay with you, like a lover's voice fires the mountainside. Stay alive.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

Uncle Harley wrote:

BZZT! Incorrect. The right of self defense is indeed a "basic human right". Don't deign to lecture US about the DoI!

You want reading homework, read "Rights of Man" by Thomas Paine. Then read "On Liberty" by John Stuart Mill. Then you might get an inkling of what liberalism means, and wouldn't try to lecture us.

RKBA is simply about the most effective means to self-defense. The 2A does not GRANT a right, it RECOGNIZES a pre-existing right.

Thanks for playing.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:58 pm 

Wow...I thought the founding fathers and the framers of our Constitution had been pretty clear that the document they were assembling granted nothing in the way of "rights." It was my understanding that the BIll of Rights was assembled as a recognition of the rights that every man enjoyed and as a limit to the powers that a new federal government could assume.

If you'd cite the source of this amazing document's power to grant rights I'd be happy to trot over to the Law library and verify your claim so we could all start afresh from the same viewpoint.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

I just want to let everyone know that I am so smug and smart it makes me want to shit.

Where's the toilet paper?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.