Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:43 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Open Carry and the Little "CCW Badge" 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

MostlyHarmless wrote:
I wouldn't go that far. The badges and uniforms issued by security companies mean little or nothing beyond the fact that, if genuine, the wearer is being paid $9.75 an hour to sit at the front desk and watch the door. The background check and the training requirements for a carry permit are more strict in some cases though I do realize that there are a handful of quality outfits out there who are more careful.
Oh, I didn't mean to imply they imparted any credibility to the wearer. They do tell you who he works for, though, and that's a valid piece of information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:00 am 

Looks like they are actually prohibited by statute in New Mexico:

TITLE 10 PUBLIC SAFETY AND LAW ENFORCEMENT
CHAPTER 8 WEAPONS AND EXPLOSIVES
PART 2 CARRYING CONCEALED HANDGUNS

10.8.2.16 TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF LICENSE:

G. Indicia of licensure. No person who is not a law enforcement officer, may carry a badge, patch, card, or any other indication of authority to carry a concealed handgun in New Mexico other than the license issued by the department or a license issued by a state that has been accepted by transfer, recognition or reciprocity by New Mexico pursuant to the act.

I wonder how many other states have similar language.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:00 am 
1911 tainted

12smile wrote:
I wonder how many other states have similar language.

It is a class B misdemeanor in Utah.

[76-9-512(3)]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:37 am 
The Man

johngagemn wrote:
Ramoel wrote:
Your permit and ID is state authorized, a badge, while not unlawful, is kind of pretentious.

Absolutely.

Speaking as someone who in the past had EARNED the privilege to wear a badge (FD, not PD) I really find it insulting when I see people wearing a badge that is purchased, not earned. I had to go through hundreds of hours of initial training, pass several state and national certification tests, and go through an extensive field training program and probationary period before I received my badge and the right to wear it.

Wearing a badge is generally reserved for those who have made a commitment that they are willing to put their lives on the line to protect others. A CCW badge is nothing more than a thinly veiled way of trying to look like you are someone of authority.

Now, I realize that the personal feelings of those who work in public safety have little to do with the right to self-defense, but I thought you might at least want a little insight as to why a lot of the folks who work in public safety frown upon things like a CCW badge .
Yup.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:27 am 

I am truly sympathetic to not being "chased away" by the refuse that increasingly litter our cities. However, the one scenario that I have not been able to shake after reading this thread is one where a pack of predators a) sees a victim b) observes victims handgun c) decides they want to possess that handgun and then decides to "shoot first" if armed or lie in wait around the nearest bend or in the most convenient hiding place with pipe or other object in hand to waylay said victim during their next daily commute.

I would be concerned as to how quickly I could produce my weapon and defend myself while riding a bicycle if confronted by such a quickly unfolding scenario. What's more likely is that if I'm riding quickly to avoid such predators is that I "wipe-out" when confronted which creates an entirely different set of outcomes.

This may be a "hijack" of the original question regarding CCW tokens but goes back to the principle of how to be safe in an obviously dangerous environment. In the above situation, open carry may increase the danger as I'm increasingly wondering whether "gang thinking" has such a disdain for life that their personal safety is not even considered over an impulsive desire to grab someone's gun.

Just another 2 cents to think about in the analysis.

...DaddyBooks

Post subject: 40-50 Kalamazoo teens beat cyclist unconscious
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:49 pm 

Quote:
This may be a "hijack" of the original question regarding CCW tokens but goes back to the principle of how to be safe in an obviously dangerous environment.

I guess this story is from the Detroit area. I won't go anywhere near North Minneapolis. When returning from Bills Gun shop last week I wouldn't even DRIVE my SUV on Broadway. There is no hope for reclaiming that part of Minneapolis. South Minneapolis is still worth fighting for inspite of similar attacks along the Midtown Greenway....near the sears tower we had a swarming attack of 8-10 TeenThugs where a cyclist was kicked till unconcious.

DETROIT: CYCLISTS KICKED BY 40-50 TEENS.

SOUTH MINNEAPOLIS: CYCLISTS KICKED BY 8-10 TEENS

If you do the math...Our "Quality of Life" is better by a factor of four. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Lake Phalen and The Midtown Greenway are hot zones where normal tactics may not be enough....

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/arti ... /902110347

KALAMAZOO - Kalamazoo police say about 40 to 50 young males attacked a 50-year-old man riding a bicycle and beat him unconscious.

Police say the attack happened about 6:45 p.m. Tuesday. Witnesses say the attackers appeared to be teenagers.

The witnesses tell investigators some of the group knocked the man off his bike and began beating him. Police say he was hit in the head with a bottle and then kicked and punched as he lay in the street.

His bike was stolen but later recovered.

Police said Tuesday night they didn't yet have any suspects. They said the victim remained unconscious at Bronson Hospital.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:37 pm 

12smile wrote:
[...but look at that guys head...I'll wear a Clown Suit while biking if I can avoid that :)

Since your purpose is to loudly advertise that you are carrying, without being seen to impersonate an officer, and without frightening soccer moms...

I think the best idea is to wear a bright orange shirt, with very large print, front and back, saying " I have a gun permit", and "Gun Here" with an arrow pointing to your hip.

Pretty much a clown outfit, but you said you wouldn't mind.

I'm not in favor of this myself, I prefer keeping it covered for various reasons, but it would seem to accomplish what you wish, without any of the negatives of the badge. Actually it would be better than a badge in that it would be visible from a far greater range.

And if you're worried about illiterate thugs... just use a picture of a gun, with an arrow pointing toward your hip.

Post subject: Impersonation.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:22 pm 
In the time out chair

As has already been said, a CCW badge is for wanna-be cops. If you were to get into trouble, you could be staring down the barrel of impersonating a peace officer. It doesn't really matter what the badge says, if it can't be read from a distance. I'm very much a fan walking softly and carrying a big stick. OC is a way of brandishing the stick, which should be enough deterrent. More people go home safely every night who don't carry, than do, after an afternoon of jogging.

Last edited by ecrist on Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

I came up with a great idea that would loudly advertise you're carrying without a badge.

Just get a rifle with a biathlon sling for you carry gun. :wink: It would be really comfy on a bike and EVERYONE will know. Two birds with one stone.

:twisted:

Post subject: Re: Impersonation.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

ecrist wrote:
More people go home safely every night who don't carry, that do, after an afternoon of jogging.

Once more, in English? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:27 pm 

OOOOOOOooooooooo Pretty!

Post subject: Re: 40-50 Kalamazoo teens beat cyclist unconscious
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:57 am 
Raving Moderate

12smile wrote:
I won't go anywhere near North Minneapolis. When returning from Bills Gun shop last week I wouldn't even DRIVE my SUV on Broadway. There is no hope for reclaiming that part of Minneapolis. .

And you, sir, are part of the problem. Won't drive your SUV on Broadway? Good grief. I work in North Minneapolis, south of Broadway, every day. My mother lives in North Minneapolis. The worst problem I have driving there is the idiots on cell phones- and I see more of them in Edina... :roll: :roll:

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:20 am 

Jeremiah wrote:
12smile wrote:
I won't go anywhere near North Minneapolis. When returning from Bills Gun shop last week I wouldn't even DRIVE my SUV on Broadway. There is no hope for reclaiming that part of Minneapolis. .

And you, sir, are part of the problem. Won't drive your SUV on Broadway? Good grief. I work in North Minneapolis, south of Broadway, every day. My mother lives in North Minneapolis. The worst problem I have driving there is the idiots on cell phones- and I see more of them in Edina... :roll: :roll:

You don't seriously think that West Broadway is just like any other quaint neighborhood in Minneapolis.

I agree with 12smile. One of the cardinal rules of being armed is to first avoid dangerous situations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:41 am 

I think I have found the solution to driving the SUV on West Broadway!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:51 am 
Longtime Regular

Jeremiah wrote:
12smile wrote:

I've never felt all that twitchy around Bill's (other than on the range when somebody wearing a lot of a single color decides to try their 50 Cent impression). Get a mile or two away from that area, though... :?

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.