Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 2:07 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 selling a used handgun 
 Post subject: selling a used handgun
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:19 am 

So how does one go about selling a used handgun? What kind of resources are available?

I guess this is a pretty naive question, but I've never attempted it before. I suppose some gun shops will buy a used gun but I would expect to get a fraction of it's used value that way. I was reading about selling on gunbroker.com and it looks like shipping for a non-FFL holder is pretty problematic. Looks like the only option is Fedex Priority overnight at about 50 bucks. Who is going to pay close to a quarter of the price of a gun just for shipping???

What do you guys do when you want to sell a gun?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:08 am 

I haven't sold many guns. I try to keep 'em all. :lol:

I have sold a couple of guns as a private sale. I just put an add in the local paper. I did ask for ID and their Permit to Purchase. Wrote down the information for my records and had them sign a receipt.

Done deal and not illegal.

8)

Post subject: Re: selling a used handgun
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:10 am 

JCinMN wrote:
So how does one go about selling a used handgun? What kind of resources are available?

I guess this is a pretty naive question, but I've never attempted it before. I suppose some gun shops will buy a used gun but I would expect to get a fraction of it's used value that way. I was reading about selling on gunbroker.com and it looks like shipping for a non-FFL holder is pretty problematic. Looks like the only option is Fedex Priority overnight at about 50 bucks. Who is going to pay close to a quarter of the price of a gun just for shipping???

What do you guys do when you want to sell a gun?

Gun shows and notes on the board at friendly gun shops and or ranges often work. Many clubs will also post notices of guns for sale. Many, including our club, www.twincitiesidpa.com, will post gun sale notices and photos, but restrict this service to members only.

While you are correct about gun shops buying for like 60% of the firearms value, they will sometimes take a saleable gun on consignment for a set fee or % of the sale price.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:21 am 

You know that's funny, I never thought about putting an ad in the paper :P I'm so used to selling on e-bay that I didn't even think of just the normal classifides! That takes care of the FFL fees and the shipping fees which all eat into what someone is going to be willing to pay.

I may just do that, although selling my 642 does feel weird. I don't like shooting the gun that much. I can't say I dislike it, I just don't enjoy it. I'd rather sell it and get something that I do enjoy, but there still is that part that I'm sure plenty of people can relate to that just wants to hang onto it even though I don't have a good reason to hang onto it. But it's a couple hundred bucks I could put toward something my wife would enjoy shooting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:29 am 
Journeyman Member

JCinMN -

Why don't you try posting it here? -

http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=9

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:38 am 
Longtime Regular

You can also join one of the larger gun forums like S&W, 1911, Ruger etc. They all accept guns in their classifieds and they seem to go pretty fast. You can specify FTF in your state only if you wish or ship to a FFL. These forum classifieds accept any make, doesn't have to be the forum gun type and best of all, it's all free just for signing up as a member which is free too.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:01 am 

How much do you want for the gun and how much of a hurry are you in to sell it? My wife is trying to find time to take a beginner's handgun course (no sense in me trying to teach her because whatever I tell her to do, she does the opposite). Once she decides whether she prefers autoloaders or revolvers we're going to get her a gun. My guess is she'll prefer the simplicity of a revolver, in which case I might be interested.

I'm hoping to get her in a class next month.

Bristol’s Bastards: In Iraq with the 2nd Battalion, 136th Infantry of Minnesota’s National Guard: Bravo Company of Minnesota’s National Guard fought alongside the Marine Corp in Al Anbar province through the deadliest period of Operation Iraqi Freedom, kicking down doors, dodging IEDs, battling insurgents, and trying to help one another survive in the deadliest place on earth. Available in bookstores everywhere. For autographed copies, visit bristolsbastards.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:51 am 
Forum Moderator

I'm in the market for a 642 myself...what do you want for it?

I've got the permit and all, or we can even run it through my FFL guy if it'll make you feel more comfortable.

Greg

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:53 am 
Forum Moderator

Also, I forgot to mention that you can list it further down the list of forums under "gear".

Greg

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:54 am 

The reason I didn't offer it up in the "gear" section is that Joel doesn't want to worry about the potential liability issues of selling a gun though this site. I respect that and my intentions for bringing this up here was not to sell it though this site but to find out what the heck is a guy to do that isn't well networked with clubs, etc... Not that I'm not willing to sell it, again I'm just trying to respect Joel but am afraid I'm treading dangerously close to his comfort zone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:58 am 
Forum Moderator

Right you are...I hadn't noticed that disclaimer.

Greg

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:19 pm 

Here's an idea: post it on The High Road or Glock Talk, then post a link to the post here. That way we can go to a different forum and buy and sell guns.

Both forums are good places to do business. I bought my Glock 26 from a probation officer in Missouri off a link from Glock Talk and couldn't be happier with the transaction. But it would be nice to deal with local people and save the money spent on FFL and shipping and handling.

Bristol’s Bastards: In Iraq with the 2nd Battalion, 136th Infantry of Minnesota’s National Guard: Bravo Company of Minnesota’s National Guard fought alongside the Marine Corp in Al Anbar province through the deadliest period of Operation Iraqi Freedom, kicking down doors, dodging IEDs, battling insurgents, and trying to help one another survive in the deadliest place on earth. Available in bookstores everywhere. For autographed copies, visit bristolsbastards.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:27 pm 

It's great to know about those places and I'll have to check them out. Thanks for all the advice.

Although, it seems the gun is already sold :P

I think I will be looking that way in the future. I will be buying something that my wife would enjoy shooting.

Post subject: Selling a handgun
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

Cabin Fever in Victoria will take handguns on consignment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:01 pm 

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.p ... ost1948756

if posting a link to a gun for sale at another board is not kosher, then I posted a pistol for sale at www.thehighroad.org under craig101

HK USP 9mm compact.

thanks

Craig

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.