Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:00 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 What the ......?Why is Ramsey Cnty so "SPECIAL" 
 Post subject: What the ......?Why is Ramsey Cnty so "SPECIAL"
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

After FatManSlims post "Unlawful Denial" I went to the BCA report to look up some of the denials that were appealed.
//www.dps.state.mn.us/bca/CJIS/Documents/CarryPermit/2005%20PTS%20Report.pdf

DENIALS EXPLANATION REPORT
The number of Denials occuring from 01/01/2005 to 12/31/2005 based on the grounds that theapplicant or permit holder is a Danger self or Public [624.714, Subd. 6 (a) (3)], the factual basis foreach Denial and the result of any appeal.

Page 154 on the PDF file.........and low and behold Ramsey County is in violation of the above statute........there is no explanation of the "factual basis" :evil: :evil: :evil: What the ? So is this proof that they are a law unto themselves.........

On Fatmanslims denial.the Sheriffs office quoted ....

Pursuant to Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 922 (g) (9) it is unlawful for anyone who has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce, or possess in or affecting commerce, any firearm or ammunition or to receive any firearm or ammunition that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce. Given that under Federal Law you are prohibited from possesing a firearm you are ineligible to receive a permit to carry.

If this an obligatory last paragraph by Ramsey Cnty........how many people would appeal.....after all the sheriff says NO NO NO

Im not a black helicopter sort......but this made me take a step back

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

Interesting....Ramsey has half the number of applications as Hennepin, but has twice as many denials; nearly half the total denials for the whole state!

Does this mean that Ramsey has four times as many criminals as Hennepin or does this mean that there is something seriously wrong with the process there?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:54 am 
Longtime Regular

..and it appears that @20% were appealed and issued.

IMHO - I think that it depends on if you want to look at the surface statistics negatively or posatively.

Negative - Sheriff Fletcher et. al. are antis and nit pickers.

Posative - Sheriff Fletcher, et. al. are efficient and sticklers.

Personally, I applied for my permit in the original batch and had it in my hands 5 days later.

Two Cases: I personally know of two cases where the individuals both had a "misdemeanor crime of domestic violence (md-cdv)" complaint and arrest but not convictions, but also did have RO issued and in their records (here I believe that MN law may add some stipulations in addition to the FED);

a) Ramsey County- The individual had md-cdv from a previous relationship 15 years ago, he was initially denied, appealed, and was issued.

b) Hennepin County- The individual had md-cdv from a previous relationship 6 years ago, he was issued.

Are there different dis-qualifers and predjucies in different districts-I'm sure. Are there more people in Ramsey with dis-qualifiers applying in Ramsey-could be. In any case, before we get the tar and feathers out for Fletcher and Ramsey County, we should get more informaiton....IMHO.. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:35 am 

This is probably an unpopular opinion around here, but I'm not going to fault the sheriff for being cautious with regards to issuing permits when a police contact is on record for a possible domestic violence encounter, whether that contact resulted in a conviction or not.

The initial denial can always be appealed and issued. I'd much rather have that than a guy with a propensity for violence that's just beeen good at skirting the law getting a permit and doing something stupid with it (the guy at Nye's comes to mind).

It gives permit holders in general a bad rap. We all know how much the local media likes to skewer permit holders. Every time the permit issue report comes out from the BCA, every channel runs a story on how a guy with 15 DUIs got a permit.

JMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:16 am 
Longtime Regular

VikesFan wrote:
This is probably an unpopular opinion around here, but I'm not going to fault the sheriff for being cautious with regards to issuing permits when a police contact is on record for a possible domestic violence encounter, whether that contact resulted in a conviction or not.

The initial denial can always be appealed and issued. I'd much rather have that than a guy with a propensity for violence that's just beeen good at skirting the law getting a permit and doing something stupid with it (the guy at Nye's comes to mind).

It gives permit holders in general a bad rap. We all know how much the local media likes to skewer permit holders. Every time the permit issue report comes out from the BCA, every channel runs a story on how a guy with 15 DUIs got a permit.

JMO.

Just because there is "some" information on your record of the type that might disqualify an individual, the Sheriff should not automatically deny the application. After all, he has already been PAID to INVESTIGATE the situation!

Vikesfan, I'm not shouting at you, but I do feel better now.

They are no longer bound to "Protect" us any more, the least they could do is "Serve'!

In England, they're called "Civil Servants" which is a misnomer, after all, they're neither civil nor servile.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:55 pm 

When the policy is that in any call involving a domestic dispute, at least one of the disputants must be arrested and removed from the scene, AND

the policy is that anyone arrested for any domestic dispute must be charged, AND

the policy is that anyone charged must go to trial or plead guilty (even if the charge will be dismissed later) ...

Never mind, I've got other things to worry about today; the goblins won't obey the laws anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:01 pm 

I can tell you with certainty that currently, line 3 is not accurate in Ramsey County.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.