Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:40 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 [UT] Supreme Court strikes down University gun ban 
 Post subject: [UT] Supreme Court strikes down University gun ban
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/09/10/utah.campus.guns.ap/

Supreme Court strikes down University of Utah gun ban
POSTED: 8:22 p.m. EDT, September 10, 2006

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (AP) -- The Utah Supreme Court on Friday struck down a ban on guns at the University of Utah, saying campus officials cannot adopt a policy that runs counter to state law.

The university will not immediately lift its ban while the matter is considered in federal court, President Michael Young said.

The 44,000 students, faculty and staff on the Salt Lake City campus have been subject to the university's ban on carrying guns since the 1970s. Those who violate the rule can be expelled from school, although university officials said that has never happened.

Young said the school's interest is in keeping the learning environment safe.

Utah law prevents state and local agencies from restricting possession or use of firearms on public or private property. The university sued Attorney General Mark Shurtleff after he said the law applied to the school.

The university had argued that it had autonomous authority under the state constitution.

The Supreme Court said in a 4-1 ruling that "the university's claim is unsupported by the text of our state's constitution, its historical context or the prior decision of this court."

"The university is subject to Utah law prohibiting it from enacting or enforcing any policy restricting the possession or use of firearms," the court said.

In 2004, the Legislature amended the law to specifically include "state institutions of higher learning," among other things.

Chief Justice Christine Durham was the only dissenter, saying the policy is "necessary to the educational enterprise."

In a statement, Shurtleff called the decision a "victory for the rule of law." He suggested university officials could talk to lawmakers if they want an exception.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
[url][/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

Nice. I don't know how our supreme court would rule.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Already posted in this thread: http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... 0&start=15

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dean......sorry for the duplicate.................. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

Good news though, Eh?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

It seems to set a precedent (?) hopefuly. Sooner or later I suspect that it will end in the SCOTUS somehow since the school is going to apparently ignore the UtahSC in taking it to Federal Court...........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

WOOO WHOOOO!!!!! [Party Down Emoticon!!]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

Don't start celebrating quite yet. IIR, US V Miller stated that we, as average citizens, don't really have the right to bear arms, at least through the ACLU's eyes. Now, I haven't read the case law in a long, long time, but I did see that excerpt from the ACLU just recently. (Not that I agree with the ACLU)

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject: Utah.....now its our turn
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:08 pm 

Given this is exactly whats happening in our fair (unfair) state does anyone now of a lawyer willing to take this up here. I'll be the student :)

Post subject: Re: Utah.....now its our turn
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

whydidihavetoregister? wrote:
Given this is exactly whats happening in our fair (unfair) state does anyone now of a lawyer willing to take this up here. I'll be the student :)

It's not the same thing. Utah law doesn't specifically permit colleges to forbid students. Minnesota law does.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.