Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:42 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Airport Security and an oopsie 
 Post subject: Airport Security and an oopsie
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:58 am 
Forum Moderator

I just got back from a great trip to Florida (Sanibel Island). Tremendous weather (well, ...glad I am back given the hurricane problems now), son #4 got married on the Island...overall great time. Except for one anxious moment.

Although I knew I would not need a heavy jacket in Florida, I wanted to bring a lightweight coat for the trip and for when we returned. I had not worn this coat for many months.

I was wearing it while in the security check-in line at the airport, about three people away from the TSA person when, for no real reason that I can think of (perhaps Providence??) I put my hand into the outer front pocket and...oopsie...there were about a dozen 9mm rounds. Apparently when I was last at the range with this jacket I did not box up the remaining rounds and instead just tossed them in my pocket.

As I fumbled with my hand, I said to myself.."Hmmm...this is either not good, or will be very embarassing...or worse."

So, what to do??

Option 1: Do nothing, let the screener find the items, act surprised and try to explain; as this was being processed in my head, I tossed it aside as a bad option, as the question certainly might be "Well, if you brought the ammo, who in your party has the gun?" If nothing else this would delay us for some time, perhaps missing the flight (or worse??).

Option 2: As soon as I meet the TSA agent, indicate to them exactly what had happened, give them the rounds and hope that the explanation is sufficient; this had some merit as I suspect that it is not unusual for people to have prohibited items with them by mistake; yet, this is ammo, not a nail file, and I wondered if this may gernerate too many alarms.

Option 3: discretely leave the screening line and find a place to dispose of the rounds and hope no one gets suspicious when I suddenly leave the screening line.

Option 4: ????

Your choice/suggestions??

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:12 am 

My vote would be for option two. I've got a friend with the TSA, and they're still getting all kinds of "contraband" from people. In my opinion, those rounds shouldn't be considered any different than if you had forgotton a can of pepper spray, or a pocket knife in your pocket. I got the "extra inspection" last summer, and in my checked bag was a Glock 19, and 100 rounds of 9MM, and the TSA folks were more concerned of the results of the white pad that they rubbed over the bag. Everything passed with no problem. If you tell them up front, they're less likely to assume that you're trying to sneak something past them.

Don Larson
MDL Inc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:18 am 
Longtime Regular

Step out of line, definitely. There is nothing suspicious about that. Maybe you had to pee. Maybe you had to go make a phone call. Maybe you heard a page. Maybe you remembered you had a perfectly legal item that wouldn't be perfectly legal on the other side of the metal detectors.

There's nothing wrong with that.

Go toss `em in the trash and get back in line.

No harm, no foul. But I'm glad you checked your pockets. That should be standard operating procedure when heading for the airport.

Glad it turned out well. What a beautiful bride and a beautiful location!

Last edited by Andrew Rothman on Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:21 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

If you are up front with them they won't tackle you. Maybe try getting an "agent's" attention and speak to them before you get up to the metal detector.

If there was a garbage near by, sure dump them there. Easy if you have another person in line with you.

The downside to giving it to the TSA, they may report it as "look our security checks are working!" Which of course, is ridiculus.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:53 am 

The downside to giving it to the TSA, they may report it as "look our sec
urity checks are working!" Which of course, is ridiculus.[/quote]
I hadn't thought of that, but I tend to agree.TSA is a joke,they will probably use anything they can to look good[and they need all the help they can get]I don't fly much,but when I do I am usually left shaking my head wondering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:44 am 

Why is the groom's shirt hanging out? A bit unusual in a wedding picture, maybe? Just curious :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:47 am 
Forum Moderator

It was wondered: "Why is the groom's shirt hanging out? A bit unusual in a wedding picture, maybe? Just curious."

1. wedding was very informal
2. temp was about 90 degrees with a nice Gulf breeze
3. he is a good and well trained son?? Not a hint of print! 8)

Here is son#1 ...the "Best Man" and yours truly and wife...

So, who is carrying and who isn't??

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:17 am 
Journeyman Member

Well, my $$ is on both sons keeping up the "family tradition", the bride (if at all like any bride I've ever worked with) wouldn't THINK of packing on her wedding day. Maid of honor didn't look like she left much room for heat...

That leaves mom and dad...
Was pops sporting the pocket rig?
Don't know what to do with mom... except to NOT cross her when the boys are around!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:31 am 
Forum Moderator

It was suggested... " Don't know what to do with mom... except to NOT cross her when the boys are around!!!"

That would be very good advice. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:13 am 

BigRedBowtie wrote:
the bride (if at all like any bride I've ever worked with) wouldn't THINK of packing on her wedding day.

Depends whether or not the bride has a permit, maybe?

You might be surprised what you can tuck inside that bouquet :D

Post subject: two
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

I also would go with option number two ... though I'd expect to miss my flight because of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:34 pm 
Delicate Flower

Paul, who is the old duffer in the picture? :P :P

PS I would have discreetly dumped the 9's

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

ttousi wrote:
Paul, who is the old duffer in the picture? :P :P

PS I would have discreetly dumped the 9's
You should not call my wife an "old duffer" !! I prefer to think of us as youthfully challenged or perhaps (more realistically) AARP-eligible. :)

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.