Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:47 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Carry in a vehicle? 
 Post subject: Carry in a vehicle?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:46 pm 

I just started carrying a little over a month ago. As of right now I've been carrying a 92FS on my hip in a Fobus paddle holster. I know it's huge but its the only handgun I have that's worth carrying. Anyway, while in my vehicle with a jacket & seat belt fastened, I feel as though there is no way I'm going to be able to access my weapon if I were to need it.

If you are the only occupant of said vehicle, what do you do? Do you unholster and stash it away within reach? Any input would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

There are holsters that clip or screw into the dash, map pocket, etc. A good pocket holster wedged between seat and center console works for some. A shoulder holster is good for longer trips.

Laying the gun loose on the seat, or in the glove compartment, is not recommended.

A little Googling can go a long way:

http://www.desantisholster.com/n92.html
http://www.holsters.org/incar-holsters.htm
http://www.ccwsupply.biz/RossM23DrivingHolsterPAGE.htm

Last edited by Andrew Rothman on Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:53 pm 

I keep a spare in a black cloth bag inside the map pocket in the driver's door. Very accessible, very discreet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:13 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:

But then I wouldn't be able to talk to you guys. :D Thanks for the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:35 pm 

Two options to consider that I use:
1) make open jacket fall outside of the seatbelt and holster in position so as to make it drawable while belted.
2) draw and tuck it under your thigh. A reasonable option is unreasonable places.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

The poor guy just got his permit, he asked a question to join in on the board, and he's told to Google it, :roll: Give a girl a break!

Andrew Rothman wrote:
There are holsters that clip or screw into the dash, map pocket, etc. A good pocket holster wedged between seat and center console works for some. A shoulder holster is good for longer trips.

Laying the gun loose on the seat, or in the glove compartment, is not recommended.

http://www.desantisholster.com/n92.html
http://www.holsters.org/incar-holsters.htm
http://www.ccwsupply.biz/RossM23DrivingHolsterPAGE.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

Not that Andrew can't speak for himself, but I believe he was suggesting to sixstring that there are holsters which will work for him and that, with that info in hand, he could do a Goggle search for said holsters.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

I use an Ace Car Holster from www.smartcarry.com in the products section @20 to 25 bucks.

It is a velcro exterior holster with 3M glue velcro pad that you mount in the car, truck, bed, or wall. Works for many different uses. I have a couple extra pad that I mounted in each vehicile near the center hump right by my hand.

Give it a look. :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

When I drive I use a Black Hawk CQC Serpa holster. It lets the pistol sit above the belt. I then open carry it, so I can acutally get at it.

Another option that I like (when you get a new pistol ;) ), is I have a j-frame revolver which I use for pocket carry. A great way to carry as one is just wandering around. Also when you get in the car, it is not a big deal to take it out of your pocket (still in the Mika holster) and shover it under your leg. With a little bit of think, practice and talking to friends one can work this such that no one around the car or a passenger that is with you can tell what you just did. Do the opposite while getting out.

I also tend to shove that pistol between the seats, but that only works if you have a 60/40.

The last thing to keep in mind is what happens when you get into a crash. Weged between the seats may not hold it still, as well as under you leg. The other thing to think about is when you get out of the car after an accident you will probably forget your pistol in the car if it is not on your person. If you do open carry it, you then have you remember that from the other persons point of view they just got into an accident and here comes a guy with a gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

I've had the same problem. It was the only thing that was not good about my 1911 & Comp-Tac CTAC, and one reason I switched to a snubnose revolver on a Clipdraw which I can easily reposition. Then just a few days ago I found out about the FIST "#42 DRIVING HOLSTER TO CROSSDRAW", which sounds pretty darn cool. From their web page:
Quote:
This holster is a good answer to the usual problems of wearing a regular driving holster. With a regular driving holster you have to take it off when you get out of the car and have a regular holster to carry your gun while out of the car. The Fist driving holster makes a smooth transition from driving holster to cross draw by simply pulling it up and to your side in one motion. This is very important because for some people who use driving holsters, such as bodyguards, it is necessary to jump out of the car to deal with problems. A gun held in your lap could be a disaster. Also, the simple problem of having to leave the car to get a candy bar can prove to be very frustrating. When changing it from a cross draw to a driving holster, you simply press on the release bar and pull the holster across your lap. This holster also snaps on and off so you don't have to remove your belt.
$84.95

Post subject: Re: Carry in a vehicle?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:18 am 
Journeyman Member

Sixstring1 wrote:
I just started carrying a little over a month ago. As of right now I've been carrying a 92FS on my hip in a Fobus paddle holster. I know it's huge but its the only handgun I have that's worth carrying. Anyway, while in my vehicle with a jacket & seat belt fastened, I feel as though there is no way I'm going to be able to access my weapon if I were to need it.

If you are the only occupant of said vehicle, what do you do? Do you unholster and stash it away within reach? Any input would be appreciated.

Great question. What I do is carry two firearms. Primary is on the waist and the Secondary (Glock 26) is in an Alessi Ankle holster. The ankle holster allows fairly easy access while seated in the drivers seat. The Glock 26 is not a sub caliber piece and can be considered a primary piece even when carried as a secondary weapon. I tend to wear somewhat baggie-in-the-leg jeans (carpenter/utility style) which allows the Glock to disappear. Both firearms stay in position on my body at all times and I don't need to handle/reposition a firearm when getting in and out of the car, etc..-which can be a safety issue and can expose the firearm to public discovery from passerby/other drivers. Just my $.02

Post subject: Re: Carry in a vehicle?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

Sixstring1 wrote:

New/different/specialized holsters are great and all, but they get expensive! Try moving your paddle to a cross draw position. I believe the fobus is basically vertical when strong side carry, and I believe the paddle is not that wide that you couldn't just move it to a cross draw position and give it a small cant. Cost = $0.00! Cross draw in a vehicle == much better access. I use to do this with a Bianci strong side belt. It interfered with my deer rifle, so I just moved the holster a cross draw and give it a little twist.

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:15 pm 

I've got pretty big truck and can draw my pistol from my hip without a problem. But in my couple days? of carry I've kept it in my center counsel while driving also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:39 pm 
Journeyman Member

I drive a Mustang, which is very, er, "efficient" in the use of space in the drivers area. During the week, I can't carry at my workplace, but I carry during the commute with a Fobus paddle holster on my right side. I tuck my shirt behind the gun and it sits just behind the seatbelt latch. I can easily draw with it like that.

I would like to check out a car holster, though, which would be nice when I'm not working and have my CTAC.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.