Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:25 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 How long did it take you to get your permit? 
 Post subject: How long did it take you to get your permit?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:59 pm 

Today was day 29 and nothing in the mail... I have this overwhelming doubt it will be in my box tomorrow.

Now here is where the big problem is: I accidentally threw away my receipt and CCW training course certificates earlier this month. I paid in cash so I don't have a paper trail (check) either.

If I don't receive anything tomorrow what should I do?

Edit: It was Hennepin County which I've heard they take every last day on most cases, which is comforting. I still have a question about the certificate. I took the class at Bill's in Robbinsdale. Would they make me a new one?

Post subject: Re: How long did it take you to get your permit?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:14 am 
Longtime Regular

I'm in Hennepin too and I think mine was right on day 30. I bet you a dollar you'll get it in today's (Wednesday's) mail, but if not I'd give it a couple days. Then you can decide whether you want to bother complaining about it taking 32 days or whatever. (I think you should, BTW.)

I bet Bill's can and will replace your paperwork for you if necessary. Presumably they'll charge you something for their time & expenses and, it being Bill's, and a capitalist society after all, a little more, but I don't think it's a problem. As far as losing it goes, you're keeping better track of other stuff, like where your gun is, right? ;)

Oh and hi & welcome aboard!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:57 am 

As of today (Wednesday) it has been 30 days since I submitted the application for my Hennepin County permit. So we shall see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:21 am 
Longtime Regular

29 days in my hand in Ramsey Co. At 31, start calling.

Welcome to the forum! :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Last edited by Srigs on Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:40 am 
Longtime Regular

If it doesn't come, just remember they do not know you lost your receipt. Just call and act as though you have all the records and they will most likely come though. If you do have to produce anything as proof act very irritated and very put out. They hopefully will assume you have all the paper work and are just hadn't have time to dig it out of your files. This tact should work. On second thought, just disregaurd all this because you permit will be in the mail. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:15 am 
Journeyman Member

Werm wrote:
Today was day 29 and nothing in the mail... I have this overwhelming doubt it will be in my box tomorrow.

It'll be there. Mine took the full 30 days.. Day #30 (a saturday) mine was in the box..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:13 am 

Hennepin County took exactly 30 days. They mailed it on day 28.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:27 am 
Longtime Regular

http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... c&start=21

7 days of processing + 2 days in the mail = 9 days in Ramsey county.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:38 am 

washington was 13 days...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:10 pm 
Delicate Flower

dmr-22 wrote:
washington was 13 days...

same for one of my students. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:36 pm 

Pat Cannon wrote:
I'm in Hennepin too and I think mine was right on day 30. I bet you a dollar you'll get it in today's (Wednesday's) mail, but if not I'd give it a couple days. Then you can decide whether you want to bother complaining about it taking 32 days or whatever. (I think you should, BTW.)

I bet Bill's can and will replace your paperwork for you if necessary. Presumably they'll charge you something for their time & expenses and, it being Bill's, and a capitalist society after all, a little more, but I don't think it's a problem. As far as losing it goes, you're keeping better track of other stuff, like where your gun is, right? ;)

Yea I work downtown and I often bring documents from work home in envelopes. I remember picking it up... feeling it was very slim (assuming it was empty) and throwing it in the garbage :oops:

If I don't get the permit in the mail, which I doubt, I'll contact Bill's about a new one. Other then when you apply for the permit... what purpose do they serve?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

They are suitable for framing! :)

Seriously, if you decide to pursue a permit from another state, they often ask for proof of training. That would be your certificate. :)

Werm wrote:
Pat Cannon wrote:

Yea I work downtown and I often bring documents from work home in envelopes. I remember picking it up... feeling it was very slim (assuming it was empty) and throwing it in the garbage :oops:

If I don't get the permit in the mail, which I doubt, I'll contact Bill's about a new one. Other then when you apply for the permit... what purpose do they serve?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:44 pm 

Surprise surprise... day 30 is here. Just got the mail... I received NOTHING from them. I seem to always get the short end of the shaft.

What's my course of action? I'm about to call the sheriffs but unsure how this will help if the mail is a day late etc... What can I do? I'm sure filing a complaint about it won't do much good.

What would you do?

Edit: I just called the "Permit Hotline at (612) 348-8008." and to no surprise it's only open until 3:30pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well, according to the letter of the law, failure to deny within the 30 days constitutes issuance. So you could, technically, start carrying.

624.714 wrote:
Subd. 6. Granting and denial of permits. (a) The sheriff must, within 30 days after the date
of receipt of the application packet described in subdivision 3:
(1) issue the permit to carry;
(2) deny the application for a permit to carry solely on the grounds that the applicant failed to
qualify under the criteria described in subdivision 2, paragraph (b); or
(3) deny the application on the grounds that there exists a substantial likelihood that the
applicant is a danger to self or the public if authorized to carry a pistol under a permit.
(b) Failure of the sheriff to notify the applicant of the denial of the application within 30 days
after the date of receipt of the application packet constitutes issuance of the permit to carry and
the sheriff must promptly fulfill the requirements under paragraph (c).

That said, I wouldn't do anything but wait a day or two. It'll come.

Last edited by Andrew Rothman on Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:08 pm 

What a bunch of crap those here to uphold the law are allowed to break the law and nothing will happen. :roll:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.