Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:46 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Why would you carry at church? 
 Post subject: Why would you carry at church?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

Add this to the already WAY too long list of reasons ...

http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_022124807.html

Not sure of the particulars ... whether the girl was a member there, what she was doing there, if the crime happened there, but for sure the body was found there.

I know a lot of church women that volunteer time to clean the church building and OFTEN they go to the church building alone at night. Naturally, politicians want to make sure they don't have the means to protect themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

She was visiting her sister, so she did'nt attend the church, was found outside the next morning by a plow truck driver.
Shitbag is in jail in MN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:30 pm 
1911 tainted

And why would people think that this type of thing would ever happen in a church? :roll:

I have talked to some people that are on the fence about carrying a firearm to defend oneself, but they do believe that the carry of a firearm should not be allowed in schools and churches. :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

And the cookjob bad guy came from Onalaska! Where else! That town has all the creeps of Wisconsin in it's population. Look it up on google, weirdos and nutjobs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

cobb wrote:
And why would people think that this type of thing would ever happen in a church? :roll:

I have talked to some people that are on the fence about carrying a firearm to defend oneself, but they do believe that the carry of a firearm should not be allowed in schools and churches. :roll:

One of the legislators is a clergyman (who voted pro MPPA the second time, not the first) told me before the second vote that he wanted a prohibition on guns in church. I responded that I respected his position but hoped that people who were in danger from a stalker should be able to feel safe, even at church. He must have changed his mind on that issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

Churches aren't exempt from violence any more than any other place. Plenty of weirdoes that come into a Church to cause harm to otherwise generally peaceable citizens

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL9911/S00208.htm

Naked Man Attacks London Churchgoers with Sword
Monday, 29 November 1999, 11:06 am
Article: Jonathan Hill
A naked man wielding a sword burst into a London church service yesterday (Sunday) and injured at least 10 people.

The most seriously injured was a 55 year old man who had his finger and thumb hacked off and his neck and face seriously slashed before churchgoers overpowered the attacker and held him until police arrived. His surgeon described his injuries as “horrific” and said a number of vital arteries had been danmaged.

Nine other people were also taken to hospital, and four of the injured were said to be in critical condition.

The attack took place at Saint Andrews Church in Thornton Heath, South London, during a special mass for children. Over 500 people including over 100 children had packed the church for the service and police are amazed more people were not injured.

Home Secretary Jack Straw offered his sympathy to those injured in the attack. ``It is difficult to think of anything more shocking than having the serenity of a religious service shattered in this way,'' he said.

The priest said he was horrified by the attack. ``I'd like to know why anyone should do this kind of thing,'' he said. ``If he is a drug addict or has a grudge against God or society, well, please God, he'll be helped.''

As yet there is no explanation for the attack.

Gotta love those naked swordsman killers! Insanity can happen anywhere...

Post subject: that reminds me of a story ...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

Speaking of naked people in church ....

I had a friend who was a minister at a small church in Jordan, Ontario back in 1995 or thereabouts. Guy came in 10 minutes into the service wearing only short pants. 10 minutes later he takes off his pants and underwear and sits back down. They call the police and a scene ensues with the guy going into a fit ... luckily the only thing he did other than strip was to throw a hymnal at the cops and yell "I'm just like my Father".

Headlines in the Jordan Newspaper the following day:
"Man bares more than his soul at church".

LOL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

Churches are even easier targets than almost any place else. They need sheepdogs just like anywhere else.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm 

A nice, average sized church, will most likely have more cash in the collection plate than the neighborhood 7-11 has in their till... unlike the 7-11, the church will most likely not have a video surveillance system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

History has proven that there is no place 100% safe. Pleanty of people have been attacked in churches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:00 am 
Longtime Regular

In the denomination I attend, there is a standard church lay office called a "sexton". Nowdays, these are little more than janitors, ushers, and parking lot attendants, but in medieval times, they were armed security. Traditionally, they were armed with maces, and modern ones are given batons as vestiges of this tradition. Not only was there a need to protect the flock, but also portable chruch property. They were also retained to guard against grave robbing. Some traditions carried over to the US, as well. I know that in Texas, sextons have full police powers while on church property. I bet this is true in some other states, as well, but Texas is the only one I know of for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:12 pm 

People tend to feel safe in a place of worship. why wouldn't a cook show up for easy targets? I have been carrying in church for 4 weeks now. I hope I never have to deal with anything like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

Chunk, but not all churches have sextons. The one I grew up in didn't. I DO recall when they started locking their church doors. It was a dismal day.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.