Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:26 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next
 Road rage: Robbinsdale cop shot in Coon Rapids 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:14 am 

Just a small thought on an earlier post about the under cover cop showing his gun to say that he was a cop.(if it happened that way) Wouldn't you show some form of ID or badge? To me some guy waving a gun wouldn't be telling me he's a cop..
A cop getting into a road rage incident at least to me, is a bit too under cover.
As far as Robbinsdale not releasing the cops name thus blowing his cover, won't going to trial (if it does) do just that? Aren't trial records "public"?
Be safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:36 am 

Thanks Joel, that's the same thing I was thinking, hoping for the second option for Mr. Treptow's sake, (assuming the cop was in the wrong).

For the facts of evidence, I am wondering the details about how the cop was driving

take this as you may, this is a close up of 99th and Foley...

Google earth/Google maps search for same location:
Foley Blvd & 99th Ave Coon Rapids, MN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:23 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

CraigJS wrote:
Just a small thought on an earlier post about the under cover cop showing his gun to say that he was a cop.(if it happened that way) Wouldn't you show some form of ID or badge?

There are a lot of possibilities.

If he's raging, he's not going to think rationally.
If he's undercover, maybe he doesn't have a badge/id. Gun could have been a backup type.
Maybe he jumped right to the gun because it was more intimidating (for whatever purpose; like pulling him over)
Maybe he was trying to say that "that kind of driving gets people shot" (no intention of shooting).

All of those feed up into the first one. If the cop was angry/aggitated, he could think that any of those possibilities were good ideas at the time.

Quote:
To me some guy waving a gun wouldn't be telling me he's a cop..

That may very well be why the permit holder shot.

Quote:
As far as Robbinsdale not releasing the cops name thus blowing his cover, won't going to trial (if it does) do just that? Aren't trial records "public"?

The judge could seal the records if it compromises the officer.

Not releasing the name is going to be normal. The department is going to assume the officer can return to this type of duty. If he can't, it won't matter.

(obligatory officer gun handling joke) Maybe he thought he was the only one on the road professional enough to handle the gun he was showing... :shock:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:31 am 
Longtime Regular

hypertech wrote:
...I would break every traffic law on the books before breaking leather if it would keep from having to do so ..........

Probably a good plan to the point of NOT endangering other peoples lives...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:34 am 

I'm no lawyer but didn't Chief Snell commit a crime by revealing Mr. Treptow's status as a permit holder? I suppose the Chief's insults are simply par for the course. The officer's name and record should be made public immediatly to avoid the appearance of a blue wall of silence, or Mr. Treptow should be released uncharged. The officer's undercover work was damaged by his own actions. For the record, my guess is they are both equally guilty of behaving irresponsibly while armed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:39 am 
The Man

Suited wrote:
I'm no lawyer but didn't Chief Snell commit a crime by revealing Mr. Treptow's status as a permit holder?
Unless -- as seems unlikely -- there's already been a court decision about his permit, whoever let that out did violate the Data Practices Act, if their source of the information was the state database, or the police investigation. On the other hand, if the guy yelled it out in public -- unlikely, but not impossible -- there's nothing I know of to prohibit somebody else from believing and repeating it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:54 am 
Longtime Regular

This incident will be played out in every carry class from now on, as it should be. It shows how complicated these matters can be with regards to the law.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:57 am 

update: According to the SPPP Coon Rapids police are or have met with Anoka County prosecutors to discuss charges against Treptow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
:shock: :shock: :shock: prosecutors opted today to not charge 35-year-old Martin Scott Treptow :shock: :shock: :shock:

http://www.twincities.com/allheadlines/ci_6093943

Quote:
Coon Rapids man said he fired in 'self defense' as he walks out of jail without charges
Investigators refuse to release name of officer, who suspect's family says pulled a gun on them
BY MARY BAUER AND DAVE ORRICK
Pioneer Press
TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press
Article Last Updated:06/08/2007 01:31:18 PM CDT

The Coon Rapids man arrested in the Thursday shooting of an undercover police officer in a road rage confrontation said he shot in "self defense" as he was released this afternoon without being charged.

After meeting with Coon Rapids police, prosecutors opted today to not charge 35-year-old Martin Scott Treptow, said the prosecutor overseeing the case. The investigation, though, into the entire incident continues, prosecutors said.

Witnesses described Thursday shooting as the culmination of a rolling argument that escalated into an apparent full-blown case of road rage. The suspect's family said Treptow fired only after a man pulled a gun on them and they had no idea he was an officer. Treptow said outside the jail this afternoon, that the officer drew his gun first.

Police arrested Treptow shortly after the shooting after he called police from a nearby gas station.

A day after the shooting, the cop's bosses at the Robbinsdale Police Department continue to refuse to release the officer's name.

Coon Rapids police did not rule out the county prosecutor filing charges against the officer. Officials with the Anoka County attorney's office said no charges will be filed in this case at this time.

"At this point we are giving the county attorney's office everything we have. We are not giving any recommendation, one way or the other," Coon Rapids Deputy Chief Timothy Snell said this morning.

Meanwhile, Treptow's family, who last night told the Pioneer Press they were only protecting themselves from a "renegade cop" who had pulled a gun on them, refused to comment this morning.

On Thursday, Robbinsdale Police Chief Wayne Shellum said his officer was just doing his job. But Treptow's father said last night the plainclothes officer threatened his family with his gun and that Treptow shot him to protect his family.

"This is a case of people letting their tempers get out of control," Snell said. "It escalated and became a deadly force situation just because of some petty misdemeanor driving issues."

Police refused Thursday to release the 27-year-old officer's name, saying he was working undercover, but he is described as a six-year veteran of the Robbinsdale police force. He sustained injuries to both legs and an arm, although investigators aren't sure how many shots were fired.

The incident was particularly dangerous, Snell said, because the area was crowded with people. Many now are witnesses, he said.

Here is the account Coon Rapids police have pieced together so far:

The officer and Treptow were headed south on Woodcrest Drive Northwest toward 99th Avenue in Coon Rapids just before 2:30 p.m. Thursday.

Treptow, his wife, Rebecca, and their two children, ages 6 months and 6 years, were in a Buick Rendezvous SUV. The officer drove an unmarked police car. The original dispute began at a stop sign.

Snell said investigators weren't sure what started the dispute but that it was something petty.

Both vehicles turned east on 99th Avenue. The altercation continued, with yelling and shouting. As both cars approached Foley Boulevard, the officer pulled onto the shoulder. The Rendezvous pulled up slightly behind the officer's car on the driver's side.

Meanwhile, the yelling match continued. Treptow reached past his wife in the passenger seat and fired more than one shot into the police officer's vehicle, Snell said. Despite the Treptow family's comments, investigators are not clear on whether the police officer pulled his gun. He did not fire his weapon, Snell said.

The officer got out of his vehicle and fell to the shoulder of the road. His car rolled backward across 99th Avenue and came to rest behind a pizza restaurant. The officer was treated at Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis and released.

Treptow and his wife drove to a Holiday gas station across U.S. 10 and called police. Both adult Treptows were taken into custody without incident. Rebecca Treptow later was released. Martin Treptow is being held in the Anoka County Jail on suspicion of aggravated assault. His handgun was collected as evidence.

"It does not appear they knew that he was an officer," Snell said.

They didn't, Martin Treptow's family said. They say the officer never identified himself as a law enforcement official.

Treptow has a license to carry and conceal a gun, Snell said, and according to family he worked as a security guard for six years. He has no known criminal history in Minnesota, beyond a single traffic incident more than a decade ago, according to police and court records.

"We've got a renegade cop from Robbinsdale, and I'm pissed," said Martin J. Treptow, the suspect's father. "We want answers. We're getting runaround treatment."

The older Treptow said that, according to his daughter-in-law Rebecca, the officer was tailgating them closely. His son stopped because the car in front of him was pulling into a strip mall.

At some point, the officer pulled onto the shoulder, and Treptow honked, his father said. The officer stopped his car, "pulls a gun out and pointed it in my daughter-in-law's face," the suspect's father said.

"What was my son supposed to do?" Treptow asked. "People have a right to protect themselves and their family."

Nearby residents and drivers heard the shots and yelling.

Cory Alsaker and his roommate were in their apartment when they heard a gunshot. They went to the window and saw a man lying on the shoulder, both legs bleeding.

"It looked like he was shot across both kneecaps," Alsaker said.

Before placing him in the ambulance, paramedics went through the officer's pockets and pulled out a pair of handcuffs. Alsaker realized then the injured man was a police officer.

Robbinsdale Police Chief Wayne Shellum said outside the hospital that his officer was doing well, the Associated Press reported.

"He's in good spirits, and he looked at me and said, 'Geez,' he says, 'I'm sorry, Chief.' And I went, 'Hey, it's not your fault, you're doing your job, you're doing what you're paid to do.' "

Snell said the investigation continues. He said the Robbinsdale officer was on duty at the time of the shooting, but investigators don't know if he was in Coon Rapids working on a case.

Snell said the entire episode likely could have been avoided if cooler heads had prevailed.

"It wasn't just the danger for the people involved, but for everyone," he said. "There were people everywhere."

Staff reporter John Brewer contributed to this story.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

WOW

Fast moving story!

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

Good. Not only is this not a black eye for the carry permit community, but it's a documented case of a carry permit holder legitimately using a gun for self defense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Coon Rapids police did not rule out the county prosecutor filing charges against the officer. Officials with the Anoka County attorney's office said no charges will be filed in this case at this time.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

hammAR wrote:
Let's see "road rage" and

Quote:
wife and two toddlers in his car

and

Quote:
and the suspect didn't know he was shooting at an officer

Yes, there are lots of facts yet to be discovered and disclosed, but initially my response is "what a dickwad, he should be greybarred just for stupid.........."

...and don't start automatically hammering on the LEO................

I guess that I stand semi-corrected....
opinions are like butt-holes and I have one of each..................... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

Wonder if Chief Shellum will be revising his comments?

Mostly-

Last edited by mostlylawabidingcitizen on Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

the story jumps around in time a bit. Quoting the permit holder's father, retelling the story, quoting the Asst chief, Quoting the chief from last night, and etc...

I wonder how Asst Chief Snell would phrase it if this were two permit holders and no officer was involved?

Would he then say: "This is a case of people letting their tempers get out of control," Snell said. "It escalated and became a deadly force situation just because of some petty misdemeanor driving issues."

I think this is minimizing the issue. If they released him and no charges filed they don't go to court. If they don't go to court, it cannot be found that he feared for his life. he then cannot use the ruling as evidence in a suit against the city.

True, it's probably better for Mr. Treptow not to go to court but can you see my scepticism here?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.