Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 8:04 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Search refusal. Be prepared for the unpleasant aftermath 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:18 am 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
tepin wrote:
So I hear you can never lie to a LEO. Is this really true? Are some lies ok? If so, which ones?

Never. The good news is, "I need to speak with my attorney and I don't consent to any search" is never a lie.

So it is illegal for us to lie to any LEO, but they are allowed to lie to us in order to gain a confession? Is this actually the case, or have I been watching too much Law & Order?

Protect yourself and the ones you love.

NRA Certified Instructor
MADFI Certified Instructor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:42 am 
Longtime Regular

nmat wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:
tepin wrote:
So I hear you can never lie to a LEO. Is this really true? Are some lies ok? If so, which ones?

Never. The good news is, "I need to speak with my attorney and I don't consent to any search" is never a lie.

So it is illegal for us to lie to any LEO, but they are allowed to lie to us in order to gain a confession? Is this actually the case, or have I been watching too much Law & Order?

No, you've got it exactly right. That's why the most important and repeated lesson in David Gross's carry class last weekend was "STFU!" (And no, he didn't abbreviate, or hold back.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:53 am 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
nmat wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:
tepin wrote:

No, you've got it exactly right. That's why the most important and repeated lesson in David Gross's carry class last weekend was "STFU!" (And no, he didn't abbreviate, or hold back.)

I just love double standards, do you...

Just another reinforcer that cops are not my friend until they PROVE otherwise.

NRA Certified Instructor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:29 am 
Longtime Regular

Where does David advertise his classes? I wouldnt mind going to one at some point...
Andrew Rothman wrote:
nmat wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:
tepin wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:02 am 
Longtime Regular

nmat wrote:

You mean like

Peasants must tell all they know to the police (or be considered guilty) right after a hormonally charged (yes kiddies adrenalin is a hormone) violent encounter. This is so the facts can be established while they are fresh in your mind.

Police officers having come through the same highly charged situation are given three days of administrative leave to clear their heads and remember the exact details of the encounter.

You mean that kind of double standard? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:25 am 
Longtime Regular

To find David's class, go to the AACFI web site, and search for classes in 55052. His will be down the list a little bit, in Kilkenny, MN.

http://aacfi.com/courses/courses.php?st ... 52#results

Had the timing been different, I would have been equally likely to choose Professor Joe Olson's class. Getting to take a carry class from the guys who helped write the law (after fighting for over a decade to get it passed) is an experience not to be missed.

EDITED TO ADD:
Joe has a class on 5/31 in Roseville. Send a PM to kimberman to see if there's still space.

tepin wrote:
Where does David advertise his classes? I wouldnt mind going to one at some point...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thanks Andrew!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:13 am 

Selurcspi wrote:
nmat wrote:

You mean like

Peasants must tell all they know to the police (or be considered guilty) right after a hormonally charged (yes kiddies adrenalin is a hormone) violent encounter. This is so the facts can be established while they are fresh in your mind.

Police officers having come through the same highly charged situation are given three days of administrative leave to clear their heads and remember the exact details of the encounter.

You mean that kind of double standard? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Precisely. It's a crock of s**t.

NRA Certified Instructor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

That's why it's good to have a recorder running. Cops are allowed to lie to you. When they get on the stand and lie about what they said to you, well, there was actually one indicted for perjury recently. The recording was crucial.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:49 am 
Longtime Regular

Lying can be good police work, so they teach it. But there's a difference between "lying" when working as a secret agent man, and lying on a police report or in court. At least, there's supposed to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:39 am 

This reminds me of a video I watched not too long ago, although it talks about the 5th amendment, the reasoning is applicable to the 4th. That is that volunteering information or an opportunity to collect information that could be used against you will never help you.

Pt1 - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 4885833865
Pt2 - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 9458915912

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:28 pm 

Dick Unger wrote:
Lying can be good police work, so they teach it. But there's a difference between "lying" when working as a secret agent man, and lying on a police report or in court. At least, there's supposed to be.

So they can lie *to* you ("Your buddy just told us everything, you should probably confess so I can tell the prosecutor to go easy on you...") but they can't, in theory, lie *about* you. ("Suspect threw a punch at me, which is why I tasered the sh!t out of him...")

Dirk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:52 pm 
Wise Elder

SethB wrote:
well, there was actually one indicted for perjury recently.

I prosecuted a cop for perjury years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:41 pm 

Mannix wrote:
This reminds me of a video I watched not too long ago, although it talks about the 5th amendment, the reasoning is applicable to the 4th. That is that volunteering information or an opportunity to collect information that could be used against you will never help you.

Pt1 - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 4885833865
Pt2 - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 9458915912

It is a must watch for those who haven't yet!

It's long however has substance and is very informational.

Good posting Mannix. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

vfrdirk wrote:
Dick Unger wrote:

So they can lie *to* you ("Your buddy just told us everything, you should probably confess so I can tell the prosecutor to go easy on you...") but they can't, in theory, lie *about* you. ("Suspect threw a punch at me, which is why I tasered the sh!t out of him...")Dirk

No, they can lie about you (your first example is lying about your buddy). They can't lie *to* a court, or their department in official records, etc. Or at least, they're not supposed to, they obviously can.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.