Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:41 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Employee's Rights to CCW parking areas on employers property 
 Post subject: Employee's Rights to CCW parking areas on employers property
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:28 pm 

c) The owner or operator of a private establishment may not prohibit the lawful carry or possession of firearms in a parking facility or parking area.
MN 627.714

Does anyone know if this has been challenged yet in court?

Example
An employer has in a policy that guns are not allowed anywhere on the property to include parking lots/ramps. Employer is a CCW and brings his gun to work but leaves it locked in his car and then gets fired for doing so etc.

To me this concerns two laws the one mentioned above and MN law on private searches.

Thoughts ideas. The link below is a good read from Hennepin Co.

http://hennepin.timberlakepublishing.co ... =1&cat=147

[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:44 pm 
Delicate Flower

The 1st question is "how does the employer know it's in the vehicle"?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Employee's Rights to CCW parking areas on employers prop
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:49 pm 
The Man

kpaul wrote:
c) The owner or operator of a private establishment may not prohibit the lawful carry or possession of firearms in a parking facility or parking area.
MN 627.714

Example
An employer has in a policy that guns are not allowed anywhere on the property to include parking lots/ramps. Employer is a CCW and brings his gun to work but leaves it locked in his car and then gets fired for doing so etc.
Except, of course, he doesn't. His position is eliminated as part of a reorganization; he's found to have taken a ten-minute break instead of a five-minute one; he's offered a transfer to Zimbabew, and declines, whatever.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Employee's Rights to CCW parking areas on employers prop
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:58 pm 
Delicate Flower

joelr wrote:
kpaul wrote:
MN 627.714

Example
Except, of course, he doesn't. His position is eliminated as part of a reorganization; he's found to have taken a ten-minute break instead of a five-minute one; he's offered a transfer to Zimbabew, and declines, whatever.

What is the term..........at will employment? or something similar?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:01 pm 

The only relevant cases I found dealing with parking lots and the statutes are the church cases that challenged MN <b>624.714</b> regarding their parking facilities.

http://www.startribune.com/local/15314881.html

The churches won on establishment of religion grounds. (Total BS)

As the other folks have suggested, if you're going to keep your gun in your car at work I'd make sure you don't let anyone know about it.

If you really want to do your own digging you can use the Hennepin County Law Library's resources:

http://hclaw.co.hennepin.mn.us/screens/findcase.html

http://hclaw.co.hennepin.mn.us/screens/electronic.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:30 pm 
Wise Elder

No firings or other employee disciplinary actions have been reported.
No searches have been reported.
No pretextural firings have been reported.
Thus, there have been no lawsuits.

Quote:
GOCRA Policy Statement {Revised 6/08}

Employers and Parking Lots

Minnesota Statutes, Section 624.714, Subdivision 18 provides:

"(a) An employer, whether public or private, may establish
policies that restrict the carry or possession of firearms by
its employees while acting in the course and scope of
employment. Employment related civil sanctions may be
invoked for a violation."

Acting "in the course and scope of employment" is a legal phrase of art that the case law has well defined. It encompasses a very narrow range of activities. It means, in layman's terms "at work while working." Only if you have agreed to use your vehicle for your employer's job related transportation (and are paid mileage), does your car become a temporary workplace but, even then, only during the hours and for the purpose that you are "at work."

Otherwise, paragraph (a) doesn't apply at all. It doesn't cover, for example, commuting to work, parking while at work, non-work activities off the employer's premises, activities at home, activities on the weekend, or during an employee's off hours, etc. It doesn't cover your home, car, motorcycle, boat, firearms and other personal property. You can shop, recreate, and live free of your employer's control. Minnesota employees are not serfs.

"(c) notwithstanding paragraphs (a) and (b), an employer ...
may not prohibit the lawful carry or possession of firearms in
a parking facility or parking area."

"Nothwithstanding" means "regardless of, in spite of." Thus, an employee may store his or her firearm (and accessories) in their locked vehicle in an employer's parking lot in spite of any company policy [i.e., one established under paragraph (a)] to the contrary. An employer can not lawfully prohibit the possession of firearms in your car wherever it is parked. Since you can "carry" there, you may possess ammunition as well. Your car is your property. However, when the permit holder is not in the vicinity of the vehicle, any firearms should be properly secured.

An employer can take no action whatsoever against an employee who complies with subdivision 18 (c). They can't discipline or fire you. Employment sanctions are expressly authorized only for violations of paragraph (a). That express authorization prevents reading an implied authorization into another paragraph of the same statute. The "notwithstanding" language makes this clear. The legislative history of the MPPA repeatedly makes it clear that a purpose of this restriction on employer prohibitions is to allow the employee to fully exercise his or her authority under a carry permit on the way to and from work.

For the benefit of company lawyers, paragraph (c) says "firearms" not just "pistols". It covers all guns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:59 pm 

Wow that was fast-- Thanks!

Mr. kimberman it sound like you are very well versed in the matter.

Last edited by kpaul on Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

kpaul wrote:
Mr. kimberman it sound like you are very well versed in the matter.

He should be, he pretty much wrote the law (yet another round of thanks, Kimberman). 8)

Locked in your car, with your mouth shut...hard to see where you'd have an issue.

Personally, I'd never be caught carrying at work. Regulars around here know what I mean.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

I would never, ever, let my employer search my car, my person, or my bags. Even if I had nothing to hide. Even under threat of termination for not consenting to a search. Under such a threat, I'd walk out on my own.

No flippin' way.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

Lenny7 wrote:
I would never, ever, let my employer search my car, my person, or my bags. Even if I had nothing to hide. Even under threat of termination for not consenting to a search. Under such a threat, I'd walk out on my own.

No flippin' way.

I have to agree 100%.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:26 am 
Journeyman Member

Quote:
from the article listed above at

http://hennepin.timberlakepublishing.co ... mp;cat=147

Notwithstanding which interpretation is adopted, the act does not contain any language prohibiting employers from banning loaded firearms and ammunition at all times from their parking facilities.

Nor does the act contain any explicit mention of stainless firearms, Glock firearms, camo-patterned firearms, or firearms the company deems ugly and menacing.

No, it just contains language prohibiting employers from banning ANY lawfully carried/possessed firearms from their parking facilities. I think "loaded" falls under the "ANY" category.

Are there judges that would fall for her bizarre word games?
- "'Firearms' is a subset of 'loaded firearms?'"
- "Maybe we can't ban employees directly, but if we ban 'everybody' then we can ban employees indirectly?"

IANAL, and maybe her arguments are too subtle for me, but it doesn't matter since Kimberman demolished them already anyway!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:07 am 
Longtime Regular

[
Quote:
GOCRA Policy Statement {Revised 6/08}
An employer can take no action whatsoever against an employee who complies with subdivision 18 (c). They can't discipline or fire you. Employment sanctions are expressly authorized only for violations of paragraph (a).

I understand that this is the GOCRA position. I may even agree that the courts may someday take this position.

But if an employer fired someone, after finding that they had been keeping a gun in their car, but claimed that there was some other reason for it, how likely would a court be to find that the claimed reason was a pretense, and that the real reason was the protected behavior?

When it comes to race, sex, and age discrimination, we have a history of court rulings, a general acceptance of the idea that these are protected classes, and it's still tough to build a case for unlawful firing.

We have no history of court rullings over guns in parking lots, we have no general acceptance of gun ownership as a protected class, and an attitude among many that anyone who is interested in guns must be nuts.

Given the language of the law, I expect that most employers firing people for keeping guns in their cars will find some unrelated pretense for the firing, and I've little confidence that a court would find that it was a pretense.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.