Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 5:30 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Big Brother knows what I carry?! 
 Post subject: Big Brother knows what I carry?!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:00 pm 

Hey guys, thanks for the forum. This is my first post.
I recently purchased a couple handguns at a certain retail store in the Metro area. As the transaction progressed, I found out that the store would have to submit extra paperwork to the FBI or something because I was purchasing two guns rather than just one. They recorded the model numbers and serial numbers of both guns and apparently sent them off to Big Brother. I had thought that the government would at the most be able to hang onto general records of what gets purchased, for maybe a month or so before it all must be destroyed. However, based on the information I managed to get from the guy at the counter, it seemed that a very detailed record of exactly which guns I bought would be held by several government bureaucracies for an undetermined length of time. I'm ignorant about what happens with the paperwork, so I'm hoping the situation is better than I fear. I have a perfect record (not even a speeding ticket) and I've never had any mental problems, so I don't know how anybody could argue that all this information gathering about my purchase is necessary. Please let me know what exactly happens with all that paperwork.
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

Wanna buy a tin-foil hat?

Real cheap, only $5000. Guaranteed to stop big Brother meddling.

Welcome

It's actually quite common. They are recording multiple pistol sales. You can buy all the long arms you want, but pistols require the additional information.

If you are concerned that the 4473 information is bothering you...

That really is the least of your worries.

Been a member of the national guard as well as worked with US customs as a result of 9/11.

Believe me, the 4473 paperwork is childs play compared to what they already know about you.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:50 pm 
Journeyman Member

Here's the form the ffl fills out and mails or faxes to the batf.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/forms/pdfs/f33104.pdf

When they say licensed I think they mean ffl.

Interesting info here at one of the best all around politics free gun sites available.

http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_guntraffi.html

Another knee jerk law never proven to fulfill its mandate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:52 pm 

Yea its really not that big of a deal. If you were at a gun show you can buy multiple pistols it just has to be from multiple dealers. Its only when you purchase more than 1 pistol from the same dealer in 7 day period (im pretty sure its 7). If you have nothing to hide youll be fine.

"Ours was the first revolution in the history of mankind that truly reversed the course of goverment with three little words 'We The People'. We the people tell the government what to do, It doesn't tell us."
The Late Great Ronald Reagan

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

Campus Leader-IHCC
Students for Concealed Carry on Campus
www.concealedcampus.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

For 2 or more handguns (pistols or revolvers), purchased on the same day or within a five day period, the seller must fill out ATF form 3310.4

As required in:
Quote:
478.126a Reporting multiple sales or
other disposition of pistols and revolvers
Each licensee shall prepare a report
of multiple sales or other disposition
whenever the licensee sells or otherwise
disposes of, at one time or during
any five consecutive business days, two
or more pistols, or revolvers, or any
combination of pistols and revolvers
totaling two or more, to an unlicensed
person:

The seller is required to have four copies of this form for each purchase:

Quote:
the licensee shall forward two
copies of Form 3310.4 to the ATF office

specified thereon and one copy to the
State police or to the local law enforcement

agency in which the sale or
other disposition took place.

Quote:
The licensee shall retain one
copy of Form 3310.4 and attach it to the
firearms transaction record, Form 4473
executed upon delivery of the pistols or
revolvers.

The paperwork involved being an FFL is significant.

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:06 pm 

I'm quite certain this applies to semi-automatic military-pattern assault-style rifles, too, in Minnesota. I picked up a couple of AR lower receivers several years ago and got my first exposure to this reporting requirement.

Dirk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:02 pm 

farmerj wrote:

I hope I don't sound that nuts. I've just never purchased two handguns at once and seen all the paperwork. To state the blatantly obvious, having the government supervise all your firearm purchases does not fit well with the intentions of our founding fathers.

farmerj wrote:

Been a member of the national guard as well as worked with US customs as a result of 9/11.

Believe me, the 4473 paperwork is childs play compared to what they already know about you.

So how is this other information collected? I am intrigued.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

Savagesweat wrote:
farmerj wrote:

I hope I don't sound that nuts. I've just never purchased two handguns at once and seen all the paperwork. To state the blatantly obvious, having the government supervise all your firearm purchases does not fit well with the intentions of our founding fathers.

farmerj wrote:

So how is this other information collected? I am intrigued.

Everything you do.
Credit reports, drivers license, ever traveled to Canada? another country....
Tax returns. Cripes, anything you do creates a trail. And somehow the gubermint has it recorded.

The tin foil hats really do have a purpose.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:15 pm 
Delicate Flower

I have gone thru the multiple purchase paperwork several times..........no work since the FFL has to do the paperwork.
Sadly all the firearms were lost in a tragic boating accident, swept away by the currents.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:04 pm 

I think I'm going to have a boating accident too. Tragic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:38 pm 
On time out

actually, this is one law-rule-requirement that to me makes sense.

A very large portion of guns for felons are bought thru straw purchases. It might make up 1/3 to 1/2 the supply for felons seeking guns. Now, its pretty hard to build up a decent stock pile of guns unless you are buying more than one at a time, its just too time consuming.

If you buy 2 or more at one place you get reported. I think all that does is get you entered into the data base.

I was lucky and got paid for a job that I had written off some months beofore and suddenly, I had some unexpected cash. This was several years ago and I bought 2 from Streichers, 2 from Gunstop, and a few more from Al in WBL all with in about 2 weeks. Less than two weeks later I had a knock on the door and a nice young man in a bad suit was asking to talk to me. He asked about my purchases, why I had bought so many and what was my intent to do with them. When I showed him the check stub, and explained the situation, and let him see a few of the guns I had bought, I believe he was pretty convinced that as a gun runner I was doing a lousy job in buying an artilllery luger, Navy 1911, and a few other odds and ends. I think had I bought 3 or 4 jennings and a couple of Davis's I might have had more explainin' to do, but he had no problem with what I had bought and even seemed a bit interested in the reasoning that the particular Navy marked 1911 was worthy of interest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

1911fan wrote:
Less than two weeks later I had a knock on the door and a nice young man in a bad suit was asking to talk to me. He asked about my purchases, why I had bought so many and what was my intent to do with them.

I find this rather disturbing.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:54 am 
Longtime Regular

1911fan wrote:

A very large portion of guns for felons are bought thru straw purchases. It might make up 1/3 to 1/2 the supply for felons seeking guns. Now, its pretty hard to build up a decent stock pile of guns unless you are buying more than one at a time, its just too time consuming.

If you buy 2 or more at one place you get reported. I think all that does is get you entered into the data base.

I was lucky and got paid for a job that I had written off some months beofore and suddenly, I had some unexpected cash. This was several years ago and I bought 2 from Streichers, 2 from Gunstop, and a few more from Al in WBL all with in about 2 weeks. Less than two weeks later I had a knock on the door and a nice young man in a bad suit was asking to talk to me. He asked about my purchases, why I had bought so many and what was my intent to do with them. When I showed him the check stub, and explained the situation, and let him see a few of the guns I had bought, I believe he was pretty convinced that as a gun runner I was doing a lousy job in buying an artilllery luger, Navy 1911, and a few other odds and ends. I think had I bought 3 or 4 jennings and a couple of Davis's I might have had more explainin' to do, but he had no problem with what I had bought and even seemed a bit interested in the reasoning that the particular Navy marked 1911 was worthy of interest.

That would NOT have been a good time to tell him about the guns you had in ttousi's boat accident. :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:11 am 
Longtime Regular

Life is to short to worry about everything.

If I wanted to keep secrete that I have handguns... I should not gone into the handgun holster making business :wink:

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:46 am 
Longtime Regular

What would they do if you didn't want to talk or show them your guns?

1911fan wrote:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.