Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 IDPA Club Schedules and New Shooters Classes 
 Post subject: IDPA Club Schedules and New Shooters Classes
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:16 pm 

Minnetonka Game and Fish has published their 2006 schedule at

http://www.nutfarm.org/idpa/schedule.html

Match Dates:
Sunday April 16 ( Yes, Jack knows it is Easter)
Sunday April 30 Classifier
Saturday June 3
Saturday July 1
Saturday August 19
Saturday September 30
Sunday October 8 Classifier
Saturday November 4

Twin Cities IDPA

Our website needs to be rebuilt and we have not finalized our 2006 schedule at this time. Keith Cekalla will serve as primary Match Director this year and we are planning our shoots at Del Tone in St Cloud.

They will be on Sundays and announced here and thru our Yahoo forum and mailing lists until the website is rebuilt. Sundays are the only weekend time the range is available to us. We will work around dates of Minnetonka IDPA and major USPSA matches to maximize shooting time. The schedule will be finalized by month end and we plan to shoot once a month thru April to October.

Look for some exciting stages at both our clubs. If you are traveling check out the idpa.com site for member IDPA clubs in the area you are visiting. Remember, if a club is not on the IDPA website they are not an accredited member club of IDPA International and will not be able to Classify you per IDPA rules.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor -PPITH, PPOTH & RTBAV
BCA Certified Training Organization under PPA
Minnesota Permit to Carry Instructor
Utah Certified CFP Instructor
NRA CRSO, IDPA CSO

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: New IDPA Shooter's Class at Bill's North - 5p to 9 March 29
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:19 pm 

On Wednesday March 29 we are holding a 4 hour new shooter intro to IDPA. It's 5pm to 9:00pm at Bill's North.We are trying to start at 5:00pm with the classroom part being a 90 to 120 minutes, with 2 hours of range time.

I'm charging $40 which includes a pizza and pop dinner. It will be register and pay in advance based on past experiences. I think we will sell out as I've gotten 10 e mail inquiries in the last few weeks, plus another 15 from Defensive Handgun shooters. I'll probably limit it to 16 folks max, 8 to a side gives everyone 15 minutes of shooting.

I'll be sending this out to club's the e-mailing list on Friday so Forum members have a day's jump. If you want to attend e mail me now at president@twincitiesidpa.com. This will hold a spot you for 5 business days.

You will need to follow up quickly with a $40 check that you should make payable to Bob Jahn and mail to me at 4534 McAllister Ave, NE St Michael, MN 55376. Defensive Handgun League members can register via e-mail and give me their checks next Wednesday the 222nd at our last match.

Our former match director, MN's only 4 Gun IDPA Master ( there are less than 25 in the world) will instruct, along with a number of other IDPA CSO's of all skill levels.

This will be your one chance this year here in the Twin Cities to have IDPA rules covered in detail and see winning tactics demonstrated. Scoring and penalties, along with equipment checks and suggestions, will also be offerred.

Additional details on what to bring, etc will be sent to folks who register.

NRA CRSO, IDPA CSO

Last edited by IDPA Shooter on Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:01 am 
Longtime Regular

For IDPA, does a Classified USPSA shooter need to take the new shooter class?

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:16 am 

A classified USPSA shooter should not have to take the new shooter class. The only real difference is in the rules. In your case I would just read up on the online rulebook if you plan on shooting IDPA and ask many questions at your first match.

Post subject: Agree with Keith's Response, class is for New Comp Shooter
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:51 am 

Selurcspi wrote:
For IDPA, does a Classified USPSA shooter need to take the new shooter class?

I believe USPSA rules are more complex. Major differences include the use of cover, holster and ammo carrier positions and numbers, gun limits and classes, reloading rules and the way we always spot a USPSA competitor, the magazines lying on the ground with ammo in them. The other way we can tell is they tend to be our best shooters once they slow down enough as ours is more an accuracy than speed game.

As Keith said read the manual at idpa.org and be sure to attend the intial match safety briefing. We always ask about crossover shooters and point out the differences.

We have had very good results with persons who have gone to any of the major gun schools. If you have limited experience in drawing from the holster and shooting accurately under some time pressure, IDPA is not for you until you practice more. That's why I ran the Defensive Handgun League this winter, so folks could work on these skills.

NRA CRSO, IDPA CSO

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:34 am 
Longtime Regular

Does anyone know if I have to retake this intro if I took it last spring, but didn't have a chance to shoot any IDPA matches last year?

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:24 am 

You should be fine Mostly--
It's purpose is for shooters that are just stepping into a shooting sport.

IDPA member A08208

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:40 am 
Longtime Regular

Even if you don't specifically ask, it'll take care of itself:

When you get to the match and gear up, somebody will point out that your mag carriers, or something, are not IDPA legal and that will start the conversation. IDPA ROs (or is it SOs? I always forget which is which.) are very used to explaining the differences, in fact in my experience they usually shoot IPSC too.

If your gear all looks IDPA legal, then when you start walking the course with your hands out getting a sight picture, somebody will say "Oh, an ip-sick guy", and tell you you can't do that.

Then you'll shoot and get some procedurals and take some good-natured crap from everybody and have a great time.

Post subject: A little more info on the IDPA New Shooters Class
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:23 pm 

We have 15 slots open and will have 8 IDPA Certified Safety Officers teaching and helping on the range. Our formal presentation will be taught by 4 separate teams of folks, most of whom are NRA instructors, and all of us have a passion and a lot of specific knowledge about IDPA. You will not be bored, I promise!

The formal classroom presentation will be about one hour long with at least another 1/2 hour for questions/answers. The CSO's ratings range from IDPA Markman, Sharpshooter, Expert and Master so you'll see some good demos on the range and a wide skill range. Also, with two squads of four each in the 2 bays, I'd bring 150 rounds. I doubt we will shoot more than 100, but extra ammo is good! :D

Corrected based on note below. We have 5 folks signed up as of Friday 7:00pm. I will take Paypal payments at president@twincitiesidpa.com.

NRA CRSO, IDPA CSO

Last edited by IDPA Shooter on Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: A little more info on the IDPA New Shooters Class
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:19 am 

IDPA Shooter wrote:
You would be bored, I promise!

Bob,
I'm sure you meant to say "won't be bored" :)

Sounds like just the ticket for me. Count me in, I put my check in the mail last night.

Bab

Post subject: IDPA New Shooters Class on March 29 is Half Full
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:55 am 

We have 8 folks signed up as of this morning. I'll wait list two folks in case of people registering, but not paying, but the 16 is a firm number. This will be the only class this year.

I believe registration will close in the next few days, so if you are on the fence, decide before it is decided for you. It's shaping up to be a great class!

Register at president@twincitiesidpa.com as discussed in detail above.

NRA CRSO, IDPA CSO

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: IDPA New Shooters Class on March 29 is 2/3rds full
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:37 am 

IDPA Shooter wrote:
We have 8 folks signed up as of this morning. I'll wait list two folks in case of people registering, but not paying, but the 16 is a firm number. This will be the only class this year.

I believe registration will close in the next few days, so if you are on the fence, decide before it is decided for you. It's shaping up to be a great class!

Register at president@twincitiesidpa.com as discussed in detail above.

We have 12 people signed up as of this morning. That means only 4 slots left, if interested don't wait, register now for the only class we will offer this year.

NRA CRSO, IDPA CSO

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Only One Slot Left for IDPA Training on Mar 29
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:33 pm 

We had 3 folks sign up at our last match, so only one chance left to sign up! I will wait list a person or two, but most folks have already prepaid.

Materials will be sent this weekend. We'll have at least 6 quality instructors on Wednesday, so we will be definitely have some one on one coaching.

NRA CRSO, IDPA CSO

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:00 am 

Bob,
I don't yet own any magazine holders. At the Wed night shoots I've just been putting my mags in the bin on the wall. For this training will I need magazine holders? If so any recommendations would be appreciated, e.g. holds 2 mags minimum, Brand X sucks, etc...

Post subject: I'd hold off on any purchases
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:34 pm 

bab wrote:
Bob,
I don't yet own any magazine holders. At the Wed night shoots I've just been putting my mags in the bin on the wall. For this training will I need magazine holders? If so any recommendations would be appreciated, e.g. holds 2 mags minimum, Brand X sucks, etc...

We'll have most every variety of holster, mag holder, cover, etc at the training session. You can take a look at them, probably try out one or two and see what you think.

NRA CRSO, IDPA CSO

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.