Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Your first IDPA match 
 Post subject: Your first IDPA match
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:32 pm 

I'm going to do my best to get a legal holster and magazine holders, and attend the April 9th shoot at Del Tone.

I'm still a little uncertain of procedure... I need to shoot a qualifier first, right? Presumably one of those is offered at the start of every shoot, so that first timers can compete that same day?

How much ammo should one bring to shoot a qualifier and then compete?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:15 pm 

There is no need to shoot a qualifier first. Show up early and let the people running the match know that you're new.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:50 am 

What goalie said, and then some.

It is highly advised to not have a classifier match be your first match.
The classifier match is a full 90 round match that is held one full day.
It isn't a matter of you shoot a classifier then move on to a regular shooting day. The classifier is a multiple stage event which would be considered the whole match. I hope this make sense to you.

I recommend you take with you about 200 rounds to each match (that way you ensure you have PLENTY of gun food with you). You may not use all 200, but at least you'll have it with you.

As far as a holster is concerned. best rule of thumb is look at the type of holster you are thinking of using, then see if it sticks away from your body (you can see daylight thru the area between the belt and the holster. If you can, then it is probably not a good choice.

IDPA member A08208

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: IDPA RULES
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:24 am 

I would go to www.IDPA.com and look at some of the rules. You can get an idea about what you can have or not have (holster,guns,ammo), how a match is run and how a match is scored. When you're a member of IDPA, you will get a cute hat :roll:, and a rule book in the mail (same rules that you see online).. and I know you will ask a lot after you read the rules. We all did that! IDPA is fun, you will have a good time and make a lot of good friends, too.. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

All the above is good advice. If you are as broke as me though, you might be intimidated by the thought of needing 200 rounds for a match. Rest assured, usually you'll shoot about 60. I try to have 100.

The logic is this: single IDPA stages are, supposedly (sometimes match directors get carried away), limited to 18 rounds. Most matches I've been to have 3 stages. That means in a 'typical' match, IF you shoot no extra rounds, you'll need 54.

Having said that, 4 stages (about 72 rounds) is not unusual, and most stages are 'Vickers count' as opposed to 'limited Vickers' which for our purposes here means only that you can shoot as many rounds as you want until you feel confident you've hit the target enough times. I'll let go another round quite often if I'm not sure I got good hits; It's faster for me to shoot one more than to squint and try to see the bullet holes at some of the further targets. Also, I've seen some moving targets that needed two hits, where people emptied two magazines. (ask people about the Texas Star.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:27 am 

with 9mm costing just $11/100 rds I'm not worried about cost (I'll burn more in gas than that just commuting to the shoot), I just wanted to know how heavy to load my bag down.

Holsters are a bit of a problem. I made the rounds of local stores, and they don't have much. I got the names of two private businesses to check out, J&S, and Pistol Packaging. I'm going to call them today.

Does anybody have any other suggestions for local holster sources?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:41 am 

What brand of pistol are you using? If Glock, try out uniforms unlimited or Streichers. If Beretta try Streichers.. You can also try sportsmans warehouse in Coon Rapids, they may have something for you.
Not a lot out there for holster suppliers.

If ALL else fails, I'd bet if you asked around, a seasoned shooter just may have an extra holster for you to use... I normally carry 2 in my shooting bag. But, it all depends on what type of pistol you are using.

IDPA member A08208

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:02 am 

I'm shooting a Sig 226.

I was going to check out Sportsmans Warehouse after work tonight too.

This holster thing is a little frustrating because there are so many questions to resolve, and so little time to do it in. I'd rather not rush out and buy a $70 holster that I end up hating, and only using once or twice, because I later get a better one. But I suppose that's just a fact of life in the sport. Everyone I talk to says they end up with many holsters.

A couple of questions... I'm definitely planning on buying an outside the waistband for now... but all the ones I've seen have a thumb strap for retention, vs. the IWB's I've seen which never seem to have this feature. Are there OWB holsters without the strap, and are these considered prefereable? What other features are worth looking for in an OWB?

In a worst case scenario, if I'm unable to obtain a legal holster by next Sunday, can I participate in the shoot with my illegal Kydex, as long as I don't submit a score?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:23 am 

Can't speak for Bob and the other Keith, but I'm guessing that if you show up with an "illegal" IDPA holster for your first match or two, or three, there will be no problem. Bring what you have and ask other shooters at the match what they use and why. But beware. That is kind of the equivelant of going to a car show and asking the owner of a car, "what ya got under the hood?"

Me? I'm particularly fond of Blade-Tech OWB. And IWB. Although I use a Desanti Kydex (Nightstalker or something like that) for USPSA Production and IDPA that only cost like $25 from Natchez. Don't know if they do them for Sigs.

Oops. Edited to add- The Desanti holster is called Nite Watch and available from Natchex for $40 for the Sig 220-226. It does not have a retention strap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:26 am 
Longtime Regular

I understand, but look it up, that if your holster has a safety devise (read thumb strap) then it must be secured prior to starting the match.

I know that Sportsmans has some 226 holsters as I keep pushing them out of the way to see what they have new for my 229 (you never know when you will find a "better" one!) - I don't remeber if they had any without a thumbreak. Glance at the Bianci cordura paddle. The paddle is adjustable for strong side, cross draw and probably SOB since you can adjust the cant on the holster, I believe it was $50. It had a thumb break, but it's not exactly a bikini if you know what I mean (lots of coverage)

I personally carry with a Safariland 560
http://www.brianenos.com/store/safariland.conceal.html
The pic shows much more of the trigger covered then in reality on a 229. From the back of the trigger forward is covered. You can adjust the tension, but I wouldn't advise standing on your head. The price is pretty good, I think I paid $80 for mine.

Good luck

Mostly-

Post subject: Holster
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:35 am 

You can get a UNCLE MIKES, at Gander Mountain for under $20.00, this is a Kydex holster. or a Fobus for about the same price. You are right, you don't want to spend a lot of $$$$$ on your first holster. When at a match, check with others that shoot a Sig..., try someone's and maybe someone has a holster they don't like and would sell cheap... I think that most of us have a box full of holsters that we buy before we find what we like. GOOD LUCK :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:40 am 
Longtime Regular

I was most impressed with the Blackhawk CQC holsters at Bill's this weekend.

They are kydex, have a screw-adjustable cant, come with both a paddle and belt loops, have an amazingly simple to use retention system, and cost only $40 or so retail.

Now if they'd only make one for my PT-111!

http://www.blackhawk.com/product_catalog.asp?cat_id=130

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:15 am 

mostlylawabidingcitizen wrote:
I understand, but look it up, that if your holster has a safety devise (read thumb strap) then it must be secured prior to starting the match.

Mostly-

You are correct. If your holster has a retention devise, it must be used. Also, you may not remove the thumb strap (cut off), or whatever, to shoot IDPA. In other words you cannot alter an existing holster to make it more suitable for competition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:31 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
I was most impressed with the Blackhawk CQC holsters at Bill's this weekend.

They are kydex, have a screw-adjustable cant, come with both a paddle and belt loops, have an amazingly simple to use retention system, and cost only $40 or so retail.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product_catalog.asp?cat_id=130

I was similarly impressed with them. They seem intuitive to use, and the controls are in a nice spot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:40 am 

keith wrote:
You are correct. If your holster has a retention devise, it must be used. Also, you may not remove the thumb strap (cut off), or whatever, to shoot IDPA. In other words you cannot alter an existing holster to make it more suitable for competition.

Yes, I remembered that rule from last Weds class. That's why I'm trying to be careful about what I buy. My problem is that I have no feel for what's normal/recommended. It could be that thumb breaks are fine, a lot of people use them, and once you get used to them they hardly slow you down at all. On the other hand it could be that they are old fashioned, a pain, and almost nobody in his right mind wants one. I have no clue which statement is closer to the truth. Feel free to educate me.

Based on Keith's reply above I think, unless I come across a holster that I feel really good about, I'm going to just show up with my Uncle Mikes Kydex to begin with and beg forgiveness from the rule givers. It's not like I'm going to be remotely close to beating anyone, even with that illegal advantage :roll:

At this point My goals in IDPA are:
- Be safe
- Start learning the ropes in action shooting
- Be safe
- Have fun
- Be safe

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.