Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:42 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Your first IDPA match 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:46 am 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
I was most impressed with the Blackhawk CQC holsters at Bill's this weekend.

I should have checked them out. Did they fit close enough to the body to be IDPA legal?

Though I guess I'm leaning towards getting leather at this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:27 am 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

They are kydex, have a screw-adjustable cant, come with both a paddle and belt loops, have an amazingly simple to use retention system, and cost only $40 or so retail.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product_catalog.asp?cat_id=130

I was similarly impressed with them. They seem intuitive to use, and the controls are in a nice spot.

I guess I'm just use to leather or cordura holsters that don't allow "slop". I also looked at them but was not impressed when I shook the holster and holstered gun flopped around. Is this normal for plastic holsters? Is it auditable with cover garmet? How durable are they in sub zero temps? I like the concept though, if only they did it in leather.

Everyone has their prefereneces :D

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:24 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Hey Mostly

They are fine and there is a tnesioner inside the holster to provide a press fit into the front of the holster for the gun to avoid slop - as for sub zero -

its going oto be covered by a jacket anyhow - cant answer that one - I have 3 of thee holsters and theya re GREAT

good Value as well.

Interesting that the paddle works particularly well with these little devils....

Nice holsters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:27 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Andrew Rothman wrote:

They are kydex, have a screw-adjustable cant, come with both a paddle and belt loops, have an amazingly simple to use retention system, and cost only $40 or so retail.

Now if they'd only make one for my PT-111!

http://www.blackhawk.com/product_catalog.asp?cat_id=130

You just liked mine ........................ Get a "REAL" gun and I think that we can get you a big boy holster..... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pinnacle wrote:
You just liked mine ........................ Get a "REAL" gun and I think that we can get you a big boy holster..... :roll:

I Think Goaliesaid it best:
Quote:
I hate to break it to you, but it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:

I Think Goaliesaid it best:
Quote:
I hate to break it to you, but it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

As an odd aside: I took two friends to theshooter's show at Bill's.

Buddy J fired 20 rounds through 2 semi's (.380 Baretta and XD 9) and couldn't get even one of them on an 8.5*11 piece of paper. I've been shooting with him before and he did better than that. Before leaving, J shot the AR-50 and had 3 holes near touching in COM. He left happy.

Buddy A hadn't fired a handgun before. All his 5 round groups had 3 touching / overlapping in the black. AMAZING. I slipped a practice round in 3rd (told him it was somewhere in there and to pause between shots so we could see what he was doing) and when he came to it, the gun was rock solid and still. Talk about a good shooter.

ME? I did OK, but not as good as A. all my groups are slightly left and down but grouped up nicely. I'm working on my grip and trigger control.

Post subject: No need to jump into a new holster you are unsure of
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:17 pm 

bab wrote:
I'm shooting a Sig 226.

I was going to check out Sportsmans Warehouse after work tonight too.

This holster thing is a little frustrating because there are so many questions to resolve, and so little time to do it in. I'd rather not rush out and buy a $70 holster that I end up hating, and only using once or twice, because I later get a better one. But I suppose that's just a fact of life in the sport. Everyone I talk to says they end up with many holsters.

A couple of questions... I'm definitely planning on buying an outside the waistband for now... but all the ones I've seen have a thumb strap for retention, vs. the IWB's I've seen which never seem to have this feature. Are there OWB holsters without the strap, and are these considered prefereable? What other features are worth looking for in an OWB?

In a worst case scenario, if I'm unable to obtain a legal holster by next Sunday, can I participate in the shoot with my illegal Kydex, as long as I don't submit a score?

You can shoot from your Kydex at our club for a match or two max. We understand that everyone will not always have alll the right stuff when the are starting out. However, we expect the folks to figure out what works for them in a match or two and comply with the rules of our game.

We let a shooter use his 5" S&W 625 ( IDPA rules say 4" is max) once and warned him it was not IDPA legal. He brought it back again and we let him shoot it again, but told him no more. Jack and Leo run their clubs, they may be more or less forgiving than Cekalla and I, ie don't count that it willl be OK with them. We try follow the rules at club matches, but we have been known to have the shooter engage with a handgun, retreat to cover and take out 6 steel plates with a 9mm carbine. Lots of fun, yes, IDPA legal no, but one time on one stage, we had no complaints.

I'd trust anything the board Keith posts on guns and related equipment, he is a master class shooter Keith and likes Blade Tech. Cekalla and I like www.comp-tac.com kydex in the straight up "speed" design. These folks are IDPA competitors and will get it to you this week, if you advise you have a match. Great service, good prices but check ours on Sunday if you like and decide for yourself. Also, agree the CQB is a fine holster and easy to use.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor -PPITH, PPOTH & RTBAV
BCA Certified Training Organization under PPA
Minnesota Permit to Carry Instructor
Utah Certified CFP Instructor
NRA CRSO, IDPA CSO

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:10 am 

Or IF you prefer something other than Kydex, use the holster I and a little know shooter named Robbie Leatham uses in production class....

a Safariland 560 custom fit holster.

Someone else mentioned it earlier, and I didn't talk much on it, but it is a very nice holster for our sport.

IDPA member A08208

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Robbie Who??
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:11 am 

Zerwas wrote:
Or IF you prefer something other than Kydex, use the holster I and a little know shooter named Robbie Leatham uses in production class....

a Safariland 560 custom fit holster.

Someone else mentioned it earlier, and I didn't talk much on it, but it is a very nice holster for our sport.

Oh yeah, Robbie is the older fellow that Dave Sevigny whoops up on regularly like. Wait I guess Robbie is the winningest shooter of all time so I'll show him some respect.

http://www.teamglock.com/teamglk.htm

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor -PPITH, PPOTH & RTBAV
BCA Certified Training Organization under PPA
Minnesota Permit to Carry Instructor
Utah Certified CFP Instructor
NRA CRSO, IDPA CSO

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:38 am 

Surprisingly, Dave did not win 1st place at the Smith and Wesson Indoor Winter Championship this year. Nor did he beat Robbie last year at the Single Stack Classic in Illinois. Ok, that one's not too surprising as the 1911 is Robbies baby and no one beats him in that game. I'll be shooting this years Single Stack Classic and I hear that if anyone beats Robbie, you get to take the pistol out of his holster and take it home with you. A guy can dream, can't he?

Is that Safariland Holster 560 the one with the suede lining? I need something non-kydex for my new blued Thunder Ranch .45 Smith and Wesson revolver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:51 am 

Keith,
The 560 is indeed the one with the lining. I like it a lot for both my 1911, Glock, and CZ.
For those that don't know, the "custom fit" isn't a true custom molded fit to a specific gun. It'll hold several different types of guns rather effectively as it has adjustments that can be made to fit most guns.
It should also be noted that there is more than one custom fit holster. For example, they have one for the 1911 style handgun, a holster for a full size auto, one for a compact size auto etc...
If you call Brownells they have most of them in stock and you could have it to your door in 3 days. http://www.brownells.com

IDPA member A08208

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:33 pm 

Zerwas wrote:
Keith,
The 560 is indeed the one with the lining. I like it a lot for both my 1911, Glock, and CZ.
For those that don't know, the "custom fit" isn't a true custom molded fit to a specific gun. It'll hold several different types of guns rather effectively as it has adjustments that can be made to fit most guns.
It should also be noted that there is more than one custom fit holster. For example, they have one for the 1911 style handgun, a holster for a full size auto, one for a compact size auto etc...
If you call Brownells they have most of them in stock and you could have it to your door in 3 days. http://www.brownells.com

Wow! $90?
Maybe I'll just stick with my old leather Kramer holster for the time being. It's a little big for the little 4"barrel but it works for now.

In case you can't tell I'm still trying to recover from all the damn match applications I've been sending out these last few weeks. And I haven't even sent in the ones for nationals OR Area 3! :shock: This competition stuff is kinda expensive. Glad I was able to teach a couple classes last weekend. That'll at least pay for my nationals slot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

keith wrote:
Zerwas wrote:
Keith,

Wow! $90?
Maybe I'll just stick with my old leather Kramer holster for the time being. It's a little big for the little 4"barrel but it works for now.

In case you can't tell I'm still trying to recover from all the damn match applications I've been sending out these last few weeks. And I haven't even sent in the ones for nationals OR Area 3! :shock: This competition stuff is kinda expensive. Glad I was able to teach a couple classes last weekend. That'll at least pay for my nationals slot.

try here
http://www.brianenos.com/store/safariland.conceal.html
$70.

Mostly-

Post subject: Holsters
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:34 am 

Last edited by BB Guns on Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:50 am 

Well I showed my Uncle Mikes holster to the IDPA folks at the training session at Bills, and they said it would definietely be considered illegal for IDPA. Reason being it holds the gun to far out from the body, making it a less realistic carry holster, as well as making it easier to draw from than a true carry holster.

I'm sure some models that Uncle Mikes makes are legal, but my specific one isn't.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.