Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:49 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Competition 
 Post subject: Competition
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

I am looking for a competitive league/group that includes movement with the shooting. If possible I would also like to shoot ammo that I can simply purchase, as I can not reload for some time. Steel can be a plus or minus. I love shooting it, but then I will have to go .45 instead of 9mm.

Cost is my big issue at the moment, so I would like to be close to a stock pistol as possible, 9mm rather then .45, etc.

IPSC looks to be close to what I am looking for. Any suggestions or comments?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

Either IPSIC / USPSA or IDPA will meet your needs. There are many clubs in MN. Goggle USPSA or IDPA. Both of their sites will list clubs for MN. If you are in southern MN, PM me. In the summers, there are matches Monday through Thursday nights every week and usually matches every weekend.

Steel must fall when hit by a 9mm. A lot of shooters use factory "white box" ammo. Especially 9mm, due to its low cost.

With both of these, it is expected you have the necessary training in basic hangun use and safety. These matches are not for total handgun novices, but if you have safe gun handling skills, everyone involved in both are always willing to help a new shooter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:47 am 
Longtime Regular

I shoot IDPA and I <b>highly</b> recommend it. If you're as chronically broke as me, IDPA is less spendy then IPSC, for a couple of reasons: #1, I'm told you can get by with a production gun in the appropriate class or division or whatever they call it, but you'll be tempted to compete with guys that spend thousands on a fancy gun which they'd never carry, in a holster rig they'd never wear outside an IPSC match. #2, they just shoot up a lot more ammo every match.

Besides just money, IDPA tries to be more 'realistic' than IPSC. They require basically 'factory' guns & holsters that one might wear every day for self defense, and they have more rules about using cover.

Bottom line: either one is great training & great fun. Neither one quite constitutes 'real' self-defense training but it's light-years beyond just shooting paper at the range.

And, yeah, a 9mm will knock down the steel. Lots of guys shoot 9s in IPSC and IDPA. A .45 is still <i>más macho</i>. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:27 am 
Longtime Regular

I would choose and have in the past IDPA. I like the fact it is more realistic and you should use real carry guns and holsters. :)

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:39 am 

The website for pretty much any "action" pistol sport (IDPA/USPSA/3-Gun) in WI is: http://www.wisconsinshooters.com. This weekend there is a 3-Gun and USPSA match at the Holmen Rod & Gun Club, which is about a 135 miles (+/-) from the twin cities.

In August, the HR&GC is hosting the USPSA Area 5 Championship. Some of the top shooters in the country will be competing, so even if you don't shoot, come on down and watch! :)

MADFI Certified Instructor (#60)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:22 am 

[quote="mpthole"

In August, the HR&GC is hosting the USPSA Area 5 Championship. Some of the top shooters in the country will be competing, so even if you don't shoot, come on down and watch! :)[/quote]

I'll be there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

Any idea if the Blackhawk CQC would work for IDPA?

From reading the rules it looks like it might be caught by part F.2 of the rules on holsters. But what gives me pause is that they go on to say "for questions, refer to #1 above and re-read the "Purpose" section in the front of this rulebook.

So I re-read the "Purpose" section and they talk about using only practical carry gear... well that is the holster that I often carry and will for sure be using it on the 29th to carry while I drive up to St. Cloud for the match.

I can post pictures if anyone wants.

Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

It stands off from the hip -- you can see daylight through it, so it fails that test.

It's still a common carry holster, and should be allowed by IDPA, but I don't think it is.

This seems to put IDPA's rule in conflict with its Purpose.

Bob?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.