Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:06 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Defensive Handgun League - Bill's North 
 Post subject: Re: 11/30 Lessons Learned
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pat Cannon wrote:
Yes, humbling indeed. I bet I wasn't the only one who was horrified by their score, especially how many less than 78 holes they made.

I was kinda confused, too, about when to reload & keep shooting on the clock; I think that could be clarified either in the written CoF or better yet also in the verbal range commands. I mean, spell it out for us dumb people: "There will NOT be a verbal 'Fire' command; engage the target when it turns with 6 rounds to CoM. Cease fire when it turns sideways. reload while target moves. Engage with 6 more when it turns. You will expend 12 rounds" Something like that.

One first impression when I realized that we were only using 1 target was: '78 holes is a lot to sort out', but when we were done this seemed like less of a problem than I expected. If we were playing for money or something it could lead to arguments about doubles, but tonight at least, I was pretty sure the 33 missing holes were either rounds I failed to fire or shots where I missed the paper. I kinda wish I'd started with a fresh box of ammo so I knew exactly how many rounds I fired.
See ya next time!

I agree. Maybe I should have read the course of fire better, waited until the second round of shooting or something. I know for a fact that I didn't fire at LEAST 20 rounds due to not fully understanding the procedural rules. I would have preferred to change or tape the targets after each course of fire. I haven't done a lot of competetive shooting in the past, mainly some USPSA shooting at St Cloud, summer before last. My cheap EAA Witness didn't have any malfunctions, so I can only blame myself !!! Oh well, there's always a next time. :)

Post subject: Do I need to be there by 6:00pm?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:27 pm 

Well no, not at all. We understand work and traffic delays. We therefore squad people on based on when they sign in and can take no more than 8 at a time, only 6 this week because 2 lanes were down.

Getting there at different times just helps us out, so showing up at 6:30, 7:00 or even 7:30 works for us. Waiting for a shooting buddy or just want a snack or soda, let us know and we will put you on the next squad.

I would not come later than 7:30pm as it takes 15 to 20 minutes to shoot the course. Bill's is open to 9:00 so we can shoot for a while after 8:00pm, but please don't show up at 7:55pm and expect to be shooting that night.

I'm still looking at comments ( you can post them or PM me if you like) and you will see many changes in the next match based on the feedback we received. We are all still learning and when I post the scores, none of us will have any bragging rights.

Thanks for coming and specific changes will be posted over the weekend.

Lobotomy Boy wrote:
This sounds great. I have tentative plans to be out of town on December 14, but if they fall through, I'll try to make it. Otherwise I'll be there the 28 for sure.

That is if I can get away from work a bit early. Six O'clock is a tough time to make it all the way to Bill's North. Seven would be infinitely better.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:03 pm 

Do you have to attend every other wed or can you miss some of the days? I completely forgot about the 30th kinda a zoo at work that day.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Come to Defensive Pistol whenever Your Schedule Permits
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:34 am 

We realize people are busy and work and family often interfere with the best laid shooting plans. Come out and shoot with us when you can, no need to make all or even most of the league shoots.

Rem700 wrote:
Do you have to attend every other wed or can you miss some of the days? I completely forgot about the 30th kinda a zoo at work that day.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Come to Defensive Pistol whenever Your Schedule Permits
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:46 am 

IDPA Shooter wrote:
We realize people are busy and work and family often interfere with the best laid shooting plans. Come out and shoot with us when you can, no need to make all or even most of the league shoots.

Rem700 wrote:

That is very cool to hear. I'd really like to make it to some of these, but what with the wife working nights, and having the kid; I doubt I will be able to make all or even a majority of the shoots. But I would really like to hit some of them, if for no other reason then to see how badly I do. ;)

"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."
-- (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:21 am 
Longtime Regular

Just Curious,

What was the total count of Shooters at the first event?

Mostly-

Post subject: Re: Come to Defensive Pistol whenever Your Schedule Permits
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:09 am 

Jeff Boucher-Zamzo wrote:
IDPA Shooter wrote:
We realize people are busy and that work and family often interfere with the best laid shooting plans. Come out and shoot with us when you can, no need to make all or even most of the league shoots.

Rem700 wrote:

That is very cool to hear. I'd really like to make it to some of these, but what with the wife working nights, and having the kid; I doubt I will be able to make all or even a majority of the shoots. But I would really like to hit some of them, if for no other reason then to see how badly I do. ;)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:35 am 

I was there on Wednesday. I didn't shoot - just watched. From what I saw, I'm glad I didn't try shooting. I'm pretty sure I'd have been so overwhelmed that I'd have scored about a 6!

I'm sure than pace and level of instruction are fine for experienced shooters, but as a first-timer, I'd have been lost. Any chance for a beginner's session to get up to speed? If it's just me, disregard previous transmission.

TomK
Mpls, MN

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Any chance for a beginner's session to get up to speed?

I'm pretty sure I'm in the same boat. That sounds like a great idea to me.

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ unknown

Never been tazered. (yet).

Post subject: Speed of the Course of Fire will be Slower in Future Matches
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:43 pm 

I'll be doing the scoring over the weekend, but it was obvious to me that I'll need to allow more time. It is a balance to make it interesting enough for it to be very doable for the new competitor, but not boring for the experienced shooter.

That said the scores ranged from a high of 349/390 or 89% to 122/390 or 31%. One brand new to timed shooting person scored a very respectable 200/390 or 51%. I'm guessing they will be at least 5%, maybe 10% better next time because they will lose some of the initial nervousness and become more comfortable with the process. We all start somewhere, I scored 297/390 and 76% hardly gives me bragging rights, but I'll shoot for better than 80% in the next shoot!

Example from last match - Target at 7 yards, two to the body, one to the head, repeat, 6 shots total I allowed 10 seconds, I'll be moving it up to 12 seconds.

I do have some IDPA Certified Safety Officers and USPSA Range Officers attending and will be asking them to observe the line, help with the commands and offer suggestions, but only IF the competitors ask for comments. Example - I saw one person who rountinely took 3 to 5 seconds to clear his holster. While we are NOT shooting coaches either the person has never done it before or their holster is crap. We may not have seen anything but if you have a concern, let us know and we'll try to help.

W0THK wrote:
I was there on Wednesday. I didn't shoot - just watched. From what I saw, I'm glad I didn't try shooting. I'm pretty sure I'd have been so overwhelmed that I'd have scored about a 6!

I'm sure than pace and level of instruction are fine for experienced shooters, but as a first-timer, I'd have been lost. Any chance for a beginner's session to get up to speed? If it's just me, disregard previous transmission.

TomK
Mpls, MN

Last edited by IDPA Shooter on Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: I'll slow it down, but
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:30 pm 

It's very time intensive to plan and conduct these matches. I will be starting up my first love, IDPA, after the first of the year at Bill's North if I can resolve an issue or two. Based on the coming holidays and the fact that my state trooper buddy and I will be starting to conduct our NRA carry classes, I don't have time to do additional sections based on skill level.

This is strictly a voluteer deal for me and I also have a pretty time intensive full time job. So, anything additional will need to be run by someone else. If there are qualified volunteers Greg and I would be happy to share what we have learned with them.

Aquaholic wrote:
Quote:
Any chance for a beginner's session to get up to speed?

I'm pretty sure I'm in the same boat. That sounds like a great idea to me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

Say, IDPA Shooter;

Can you draw from a IWB holster; set at approximately a 5 o'clock position? :oops:

Post subject: Drawing from IWB
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:33 am 

Not a problem

JDR wrote:
Say, IDPA Shooter;

Can you draw from a IWB holster; set at approximately a 5 o'clock position? :oops:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: More Details on Defensive Pistol and Revolver League
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:44 am 
Longtime Regular

IDPA Shooter wrote:
Range Rules

Twin Cities Defensive Pistol and Revolver League

Bill’s North – Circle Pines

Every Other Wednesday 6:00pm to 8:00pm

1) All existing range rules for Bill’s are in full force and effect.

2) All participants must draw from a strong side holster or low ready ( 45 degree angle ) position. Shoulder, pocket, cross draw and small of the back holsters are not permitted for safety reasons, no exceptions.

!

Being 5:00 position carry (small of the back, right?), I would have thought that rule #2 above would have made the answer a "no"...

Just being a PIA, sorry!

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ unknown

Never been tazered. (yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

Apparently, those who visit here dont visit AR15.com and vice versa. I posted the league info on a thread there because someone was looking for that specific info. I also published the url to here for more info on the league.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.