Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:04 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Defensive Handgun League - Bill's North 
 Post subject: Course of Fire Posted for Wed 12/14 League 6 to 8
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:54 pm 

As you can see I've made a number of changes and added substantial time to the courses. The rules have been clarified and we will read the string of fire before we give the standby command.

We have also added the twist of the target turning both ways, when the target faces away it is a non threat to you. Firing at it adds 15 points to your score.

Hope your schedule allows you to attend next week. Attendees suggestions or help are always welcome.

Wednesday 12/14 6:00pm to 8:00pm

1 – Target at 8 yards, 25 seconds total

Draw and Fire 6 shots at Center of Mass (COM), mandatory reload and fire 6 additional shots at COM – 12 rounds total

2 - Target at 7 yards, 25 seconds total

Draw and Fire 6 shots freestyle at the head, mandatory reload and fire 6 shots strong hand only at COM - 12 rounds total

3 – Target at 7, 10 and 15 yards, 50 seconds total

Draw and Fire 6 shots, reload and fire again after target moves to next position, repeat 18 rounds total - Change Target NOW

4 – Move the barricade into position, Target at 7 yards, 30 seconds total

Draw and Fire 6 shots from your strong side, reload and fire 6 rounds from the opposite side of the barricade, 12 rounds total

5 – From the barricade, Target at 7 yards, 25 seconds total

Draw and fire 4 COM and 2 heads shot, repeat 12 shots total

6 – Put barricade back, Target at 7, 12 and 15 yards, 45 seconds total

Draw and Fire 6 shots, reload and fire again after target moves to next position, repeat 18 rounds total

Course Summary

You may only load to class maximum. You may only draw and fire when target faces you. You may reload whenever you wish.

All courses are Limited Vickers, you may not take extra shots, subtract 5 pts for misses, 10 pts per extra shot, 15 pt for hits on non threats

Tactical pistols have 84 rounds total, 10 of which are head shots, 5 points per shot, max of 420 points available

Carry pistols have 70 rounds total, of which 7 are head shots, 5 points per shot, max of 350 points available

Last edited by IDPA Shooter on Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:30 am 
Longtime Regular

Since I am somewhat infirmed, is there a particular reason that we cannot use the little benches at the range to load/reload our magazines while getting ready and then lower them to show we are ready?? There is no other safe area to accomplish this and it would save some on my back to not have to bend down numerous times to get more ammunition to reload the magazines during the events. I don't mind abiding by the rules and can pre-load some mags before even leaving for the shoot, but I'm only up to 5, soon to be 6 mags. With only 6 rounds per magazine, that's not even half of what is planned for shooting. I can see the importance of having the bench down while getting ready to draw & shooting.

Post subject: Use of the Range Benches
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:36 am 

I have bad knees so I have some, admittedly limited, understanding of the issue. However, you still have to bend over and pick up the ammo box and magazine(s). Plus you have to raise and lower the tray, put the ammo on the tray and take it off again.

I suggest that just let the stapler hang out of the its bin and put your mags and ammo box in the bin at the start of the match. This will limit the bending over you need to do. If that doesn't work I'm sure I or someone could load for you. We often do this at matches for folks that only have a few mags.

BigRobT wrote:
Since I am somewhat infirmed, is there a particular reason that we cannot use the little benches at the range to load/reload our magazines while getting ready and then lower them to show we are ready?? There is no other safe area to accomplish this and it would save some on my back to not have to bend down numerous times to get more ammunition to reload the magazines during the events. I don't mind abiding by the rules and can pre-load some mags before even leaving for the shoot, but I'm only up to 5, soon to be 6 mags. With only 6 rounds per magazine, that's not even half of what is planned for shooting. I can see the importance of having the bench down while getting ready to draw & shooting.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:05 am 
Longtime Regular

Since on Crimson Trace "Grips" the laser is embedded in the grips, my laser travels everywhere my carry gun goes. In anything other then bright sunshine, it works great, although there is an issue encountered in fog (like this morning) in that an assailent knows where the gun is pointing and my location due to the red line piercing the fog. It would work great within Bill's Range as the lights are not that bright.

My vote........ Hmmmm "Ok" for low light, but not for normal light as in normal daylight it is iffy on weather the dot will be visable. Woudn't want to foster an un-healthy dependancy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:56 am 
Longtime Regular

Mostly, that's a common problem with non-military lasers. The only ones that work well in sunshine are the higher powered ones that the military uses for their JDAMS and other laser guided munitions. Of course, those aren't quite as small as the ones people use on their pistols.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

IDPASHOOTER, are there any rules about holsters?? Looks like I'm going to have to switch away from my carry gun because ammo for it is getting a little more spendy than I care for just to blast away on the range. :shock:

Post subject: Holsters - Strong side Only
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:12 am 

As long as you have a strong side holster that you can safely draw from its OK for the league. I'm trying to be as flexible as possible and keep rules to the minimum, consistent with safety.

BigRobT wrote:
IDPASHOOTER, are there any rules about holsters?? Looks like I'm going to have to switch away from my carry gun because ammo for it is getting a little more spendy than I care for just to blast away on the range. :shock:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Timing on Course of Fire Posted for Wed 12/14 League 6 to 8
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:20 am 

I had John, a low level Sharpshooter in IDPA, shoot the COF for timing purposes. John had extra time, sometimes a lot of time, on all stages and scored 415/420 or 98.8%. Keith, a high level SS in IDPA, had no spare time last week and won the match at 86%.

Bottom line, most everyone should have time to get all the time they need to get the shots off, so it becomes more about accuracy than speed, which was my goal.

IDPA Shooter wrote:
As you can see I've made a number of changes and added substantial time to the courses. The rules have been clarified and we will read the string of fire before we give the standby command.

We have also added the twist of the target turning both ways, when the target faces away it is a non threat to you. Firing at it adds 15 points to your score.

Hope your schedule allows you to attend next week. Attendees suggestions or help are always welcome.

Wednesday 12/14 6:00pm to 8:00pm

1 – Target at 8 yards, 25 seconds total

Draw and Fire 6 shots at Center of Mass (COM), mandatory reload and fire 6 additional shots at COM – 12 rounds total

2 - Target at 7 yards, 25 seconds total

Draw and Fire 6 shots freestyle at the head, mandatory reload and fire 6 shots strong hand only at COM - 12 rounds total

3 – Target at 7, 10 and 15 yards, 50 seconds total

Draw and Fire 6 shots, reload and fire again after target moves to next position, repeat 18 rounds total - Change Target NOW

4 – Move the barricade into position, Target at 7 yards, 30 seconds total

Draw and Fire 6 shots from your strong side, reload and fire 6 rounds from the opposite side of the barricade, 12 rounds total

5 – From the barricade, Target at 7 yards, 25 seconds total

Draw and fire 4 COM and 2 heads shot, repeat 12 shots total

6 – Put barricade back, Target at 7, 12 and 15 yards, 45 seconds total

Draw and Fire 6 shots, reload and fire again after target moves to next position, repeat 18 rounds total

Course Summary

You may only load to class maximum. You may only draw and fire when target faces you. You may reload whenever you wish.

All courses are Limited Vickers, you may not take extra shots, subtract 5 pts for misses, 10 pts per extra shot, 15 pt for hits on non threats

Tactical pistols have 84 rounds total, 10 of which are head shots, 5 points per shot, max of 420 points available

Carry pistols have 70 rounds total, of which 7 are head shots, 5 points per shot, max of 350 points available

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:48 am 

This sounds like a lot of fun, as well as a great chance to practice a more realistic scenario than one ususally has at the range. I've got two guys at work very interested in attending too. Now I just need to get holster and/or magazines to be ready to compete. Hopefully I can do that in time for the 14th. If not then certainly by the 28th.

On the laser grips question... I'd vote that they be made legal. I have them on my J-frame, and would like to try them out under the stress of this competition. Of course I'd also run the competition without them, and with other guns too. My point in competing would be to train/try out different guns & sight options and improve my score, not beat anyone else. If lasers were banned I'd still like to shoot them sometimes, for training purposes, then just throw away my score. I think comparing scores with and without the laser would be a great way to help evaluate their effectiveness.

Last edited by bab on Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Lasers that Fit in Regular Holster Approved for League
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:33 pm 

I want to avoid the hang ons like an M6 but internal or Crimson Trace lasers are approved. I'm sure studies have been done by agencies but I'd think the sights would be quicker on the Tactical pistols, not so sure on a J frame or a real small auto.

Hope to see you at League. Forum members pls let me know if you are active on the Forum, it would just be nice to meet some folks to put faces with names.

bab wrote:
This sounds like a lot of fun, as well as a great chance to practice a more realistic scenario than one ususally has at the range. I've got two guys at work very interested in attending too. Now I just need to get holster and/or magazines to be ready to compete. Hopefully I can do that in time for the 14th. If not then certainly by the 28th.

On the laser grips question... I'd vote that they be made legal. I have them on my J-frame, and would like to try them out under the stress of this competition. Of course I'd also run the competition without them, and with other guns too. My point in competing would be to improve my score, not beat anyone else. If lasers were banned I'd still like to shoot them sometimes, for training perposes, then just throw away my score. I think comparing scores with and without the laser would be a great way to help evaluate their effectiveness.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:22 am 

OK, I've got my J-frame and 226 with me. Looking forward to tonights shoot. Of course with this snow I've got to ask... is there going to be a shoot tonight? I'm guessing 35W northbound will be a parking lot this evening. Is there a "back road" way to get to the range? I'd be coming from the 694/35W area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:09 am 
Longtime Regular

bab, my question, too!! I live just over an hour away with NO snow. So, what would normally be an hour or so's drive could easily turn into a two to three hour drive. The snow is not expected to relent until very late this afternoon or this evening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:09 pm 

Same goes for me. I work at the airport, so it's nearly an hour drive, under normal conditions. If you decide to cancel, please advise.

TomK

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: The League is ON - don't let the snow scare you
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:45 pm 

I did check the forescast in the ever and always reliable Red Star and it looked OK to me:

"It's cold comfort to anyone who drove anywhere today, but the worst of this snowstorm is almost behind us, a forecaster with the National Weather Service in the Twin Cities said at midmorning. The snow should start to let up before tonight's rush hour.

Karen Trammel said the snow should begin to taper off by noon, with a total accumulation of 6 or 7 inches, though some areas may see a bit more or less.

Taper, yes. End, no. The snow will continue off and on tonight and again tomorrow, Trammel said, with another inch or two possible by midnight and again tomorrow. ''Some areas could see a total of 8 or 10 inches,'' she said.

But at least the winds have stopped howling, with an average wind speed of about 10 miles per hour across the metro area, Trammel said."

Come if you are used to driving in the snow and have some fun with the League.

bab wrote:
OK, I've got my J-frame and 226 with me. Looking forward to tonights shoot. Of course with this snow I've got to ask... is there going to be a shoot tonight? I'm guessing 35W northbound will be a parking lot this evening. Is there a "back road" way to get to the range? I'd be coming from the 694/35W area.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

Anyone know if Lexington Ave. is a viable alternative to a more standard 35W route? This would be from Hwy 36 upto Lake Drive. Or does Lexington become a goat path north of 36?

Mostly-

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.