Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:00 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Defensive Pistol and revolver, Bill's North, 14-Dec 
 Post subject: Defensive Pistol and revolver, Bill's North, 14-Dec
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:52 am 

Well that was fun, and instructive. Things I've learned:

-make sure to bang that magazine in good. On one string the gun wouldn't fire after my first shot. After a moment I realized it was because there wasn't a magazine in it any more. That meant five missed shots. Didn't help my score any :oops:

- I lost two more shots to time, though I have no excuse, the CoF allowed plenty of time. If anything I'll be looking for more time pressure in the future for better training.

- Laser grips are worth the money. I shot much better with the j-frame with laser, than the Sig without. May have to think about getting them for the Sig.

- Practice with the J-frame with sights only. You can't always count on the laser working, and as I saw above I'm less good with sights.

- Think about getting an IWB or pancake holster. I've always used a pocket holster for the J-frame to carry, bought kydex to have something to draw from last night. I want to try some other modes, and see how they work.

- Some people are much better shots than I am. I can do better. Practice. And for cryin out loud BAB, grip the gun tighter.

- Don't use lane 3, its targets turn around more slowly than any of the other lanes. Though wasn't I just saying I wanted more time pressure :wink:

I noticed some of the .45 shooters were making very crisp holes in the paper, vs. my ragged .38 and 9mm holes. What the heck are you guys shooting.

This was a great introduction to defensive shooting. Hope to see you on the 28th

Last edited by bab on Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Defensive Pistol and revolver, Bill's North, 14-Dec
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:06 am 
Longtime Regular

bab wrote:
-make sure to bang that magazine in good. On one string the gun wouldn't fire after my first shot. After a moment I realized it was because there wasn't a magazine in it any more.

One of the guys in the first round actually stuffed an empty magazine in the gun, dumped it, reloaded, and finished in time!

bab wrote:
- I lost two more shots to time, though I have no excuse, the CoF allowed plenty of time. If anything I'll be looking for more time pressure in the future to for better training.

There was plenty of time. Very little time pressure. I only dropped 2 points on the first target. As the IPSC guys used to tell me, if my targets are that good, I'm not shooting fast enough!.

bab wrote:
I noticed some of the .45 shooters were making very crisp holes in the paper, vs. my ragged .38 and 9mm holes. What the heck are you guys shooting.

Some of the people who reload, shoot semi-wadcutters. Wadcutters are designed to make neat holes in the paper.

I agree, it was fun.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.