Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:43 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Training / Official IDPA league? 
 Post subject: Training / Official IDPA league?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:34 am 

Bob,
You mentioned last night that there will be an opportunity to attend a training class to prepare to compete in official IDPA events. I'd definitely be interested. You should post info here to let others know too.

This league at Bills is a lot of fun, but I'd love to eventually do the same kind of thing out doors, moving between different shooting points. It is my understanding that's what IDPA is all about. Does that only happen in St. Cloud, or does that occur at the range north of Anoka too? These events start in May?

Finally... I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to some of the modes of fire, e.g. when using a baricade should you use the baricade as a stabilizing brace? should you be minimizing the amount of your body exposed to the target? when firing weak hand do you still use your strong eye? etc.... Can you recommend any resources (books, websites, etc...) that would help a newbie learn these kinds of things?

Thanks
Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:46 am 

In the past MTKA Game and Fish, in St. Francis, has done a begginer class for action shooting sports in the early spring. Kind of combining all of the disciplines into a one day class. Haven't heard if it's going to happen this year, yet. Mostly they deal with the safety rules and the different rules of the different games in the classroom and then they hit the range for some live fire in the afternoon.

And, yes, MTKA G&F also does IDPA. Not just St. Cloud. MTKA does lots of different actions shooting sports. IDPA. USPSA. Steel shooting. 3-gunning. Single Stack matches. Combat Bowling Pins.(run-n-gun bowling pins)

I recommend Matt Burkett's DVD's on practical shooting as a good start. Even though, his IDPA DVD is now outdated and I don't imagine he will update it. If you are a Glock shooter I suggest getting Robin Taylors book, second edition, "Glocks in Competition". I learned alot from it.

http://mattburkett.com/

For what it's worth, I don't use the barricade as a brace. They're usually not very sturdy and can cause the gun to malfunction if the gun rubs up against it. In the real world the less of your body that is exposed=less of your body that gets shot. In IDPA the rule is 50% of your torso has to be behind cover, if cover is available, while shooting and reloading.

I'm sure Bob will have more to add.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:00 pm 

Thanks for the info Keith.

Just out of curiosity... why is "Minnetonka" part of the ranges name? It's nowhere near either the lake or the city of that name.

My question on bracing against the baricade related to bracing your wrists against it, not the gun. Just wondering if this was considered good practice or not. Also wondering if this was allow in a strong hand only string.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:16 pm 

The club used to be in MTKA years ago. But like a lot of clubs they had neighbor (noise) problems and were forced to relocate if memory serves me correctly.

Bracing during a weakhand or strong hand only drill, in IPSC or IDPA, is defintely not allowed. Once again in the real world it would make perfect sense to do this but at matches the idea is to test the shooters one handed shooting skills. You don't see very many one handed stages around barricades, though.

Not many people brace themselves on the barricade while shooting two handed, either. Nothing that says you can't though. With some practice I think that you'll find that you can shoot just as well without bracing yourself. I know there are several other regular competitors on this board and maybe they will chime in with their opinion. Steve? Bob? What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:36 pm 

Hello bab,

As Keith mentioned, it is not a good idea to put you hands or wrist on a barracade. What this does is force you to show more of your body than you want too. In fact, I tell the folks that I train to back off the barracade a couple of feet. This will allow you to have a better angle on the bad guy and maximize the cover (which is what you want). Imagine being shot at and using that cover. I'm sure you'd want to use every square inch of the barricade to stop the bad guys incoming round.

The other reason to not use the barricade is as Keith stated, they are not all that stable and after firing a round, you gun will more than likely jump or bounce more than if you were to bend at the waist and shoot around the barricade. This extra bouncing or jumping will cost you seconds, which is something you don't want to have happen.

The spirit of IDPA is to have a person be prepared if and when they find themselves in a life threatening encounter, so therefore they don't like it when people shoot over a barricade or cover either. An example of this would be shooting over a barrel vs around the barrel. If you get into the habbit of shooting over the barrel and exposing your head, you could be in trouble if and when the unthinkable happens. Humans are creatures of habbit, and the IDPA shooting is a great way to correct your form and surviveability.

The other thing you could do to improve you skills is take individual instruction from a good pistolero who knows what they are doing. The video's are a good start however.

IDPA member A08208

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:55 pm 

bab,

You may want to get on Bob Mill's e-mail list. Bob is a top notch USPSA shooter and president of SCAPSA, which is a USPSA club in St. Cloud. Bob keeps up to date on all of the goings on in our little action shooting world and sends e-mails at least every month updating and reminding everyone of the upcoming USPSA, IDPA, Steel, 3-gun, single stack, bowling pin (you get the idea?) matches and even training that may be happening. Just ask to be put on his shooting list and he will do so.

Actually anyone interested should do so.

bmillsuspsa@astound.net

Post subject: Re: Training / Official IDPA league?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:31 pm 

[quote="bab"]Bob,
You mentioned last night that there will be an opportunity to attend a training class to prepare to compete in official IDPA events. I'd definitely be interested. You should post info here to let others know too.

I do plan to post any initial training we plan for new IDPA shooters on this forum, our website and our Yahoo forum. I mentioned it to you because you asked but we have no time, place or details at this time. Last year we did a 1/2 day class and will charge about $40 to cover range fees and make the club at little money.

Our IDPA matches usually start in April but neither Jack Smith (Minnetonka IDPA) or I have finalized our 2006 schedules. Leo also runs matches in Fairbault, but you'll need to call him for details. I think a good start this winter would be to join the International IDPA ($35) which gets you the rulebook, magazine and hat. IDPA requires you to join International after you try it out in one match, and we enforce that rule.

Some folks have said our Defensive Pistol League is like IDPA Lite and they don't shoot IDPA and they are wrong. While we have some elements of IDPA the multiple targets, time pressure, movement, different shooting positions and procedurals make IDPA a different game. If I start asking you to lay on your back and engage 3 targets with two shots each while firing over your head, then its like more like IDPA.

As to the other questions Steve and Keith, as usual, handled them very well. Oh, one other reason not to brace, splinters hurt like hell and I've gotten them by failing to back off the barricade.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor -PPITH, PPOTH & RTBAV
BCA Certified Training Organization under PPA
Minnesota Permit to Carry Instructor
Utah Certified CFP Instructor
NRA CRSO, IDPA CSO

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: F.Y.I. IDPA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:19 am 

F.Y.I.

We have an IDPA club in Rochester, And we have had safety classes and will have more this spring. We have a Pvt. gun range and you can camp at the range. The cost to shoot and camp is FREE! all we ask is the you kick in a few $$ to help with the cost of targets.tape, etc. As soon as it starts to get warm we will start.... AND if we dont have any floods, we are on a small river. Last year we did a few night shoots, and can shoot long guns 400 yards. This winter we had some range equipment, that was donated to us and we are buying some new things. If you want more info please PM, me........... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:45 am 
Delicate Flower

Zerwas wrote:
Hello bab,

As Keith mentioned, it is not a good idea to put you hands or wrist on a barracade. What this does is force you to show more of your body than you want too. In fact, I tell the folks that I train to back off the barracade a couple of feet. This will allow you to have a better angle on the bad guy and maximize the cover (which is what you want). Imagine being shot at and using that cover. I'm sure you'd want to use every square inch of the barricade to stop the bad guys incoming round.

The other reason to not use the barricade is as Keith stated, they are not all that stable and after firing a round, you gun will more than likely jump or bounce more than if you were to bend at the waist and shoot around the barricade. This extra bouncing or jumping will cost you seconds, which is something you don't want to have happen.

The spirit of IDPA is to have a person be prepared if and when they find themselves in a life threatening encounter, so therefore they don't like it when people shoot over a barricade or cover either. An example of this would be shooting over a barrel vs around the barrel. If you get into the habbit of shooting over the barrel and exposing your head, you could be in trouble if and when the unthinkable happens. Humans are creatures of habbit, and the IDPA shooting is a great way to correct your form and surviveability.

The other thing you could do to improve you skills is take individual instruction from a good pistolero who knows what they are doing. The video's are a good start however.

Never, repeat, never shoot over the top of cover or barricade unless you have no other option. You should also vary which side and where on that side you shoot from, eg. high left, low right, high right, low left etc.
You also want to avoid exposing your gun to grab from a BG hiding behind your barricade. It is good technique to shoot from a little way back from the front edge of the cover. We are not permitted to brace when we do barricade shoots in our qualifications; both feet must be behind the cover and the only thing you should see (if you were fool enough to be in front looking back) is the shooters muzzle, hand(s), one eye, and part of a shoulder. Any more and it's probably worthless being behind cover and/or a barricade - you may as well stand out in the open and get a good stance, sight alignment, and grip! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:52 pm 

Another great forum is Brian Enos.com. There is so much information there, it'll make your head spin! :twisted:

MADFI Certified Instructor (#60)

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.