Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:09 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Rifle questions -- Minnesota legalities 
 Post subject: Re: SBR?? in Minn.?
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

Antibabylon wrote:
mnglocker wrote:
...16" barrel is the minium, unless you get a BATF tax stamp for a short barreled rifle. Also the gun must be a minium of 26" overall in length. ...

please cite a specific STATE OF MINNESOTA statute to qualify/validate this statement...

I have looked and looked and not found it..

You won't. It's a federal law. Title II weapon.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

Yep, and welcome. Making imperious demands about a two-year-old thread is a...well, interesting way to introduce yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:20 pm 
On time out

that's federal law check the BATFE web page. Minnesota follows fed law on the basics of OAL and barrel length.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

Antibabylon wrote:
mnglocker wrote:
...16" barrel is the minium, unless you get a BATF tax stamp for a short barreled rifle. Also the gun must be a minium of 26" overall in length. ...

please cite a specific STATE OF MINNESOTA statute to qualify/validate this statement...

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/sta ... id=624.712

Quote:
Subd. 2. Pistol. "Pistol" includes a weapon designed to be fired by the use of a single hand and with an overall length less than 26 inches, or having a barrel or barrels of a length less than 18 inches in the case of a shotgun or having a barrel of a length less than 16 inches in the case of a rifle (a) from which may be fired or ejected one or more solid projectiles by means of a cartridge or shell or by the action of an explosive or the igniting of flammable or explosive substances; or (b) for which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, air or other gas, or vapor. "Pistol" does not include a device firing or ejecting a shot measuring .18 of an inch, or less, in diameter and commonly known as a "BB gun," a scuba gun, a stud gun or nail gun used in the construction industry or children's pop guns or toys.

Of course, you could go with the federal statutes as well.
Here's the easy version to read for you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_barreled_rifle

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

Antibabylon wrote:

Kind of a pushy bastard aren't you? :P

As the others have said, it's a Federal Regulation, not a state issue.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:56 am 

Antibabylon wrote:
mnglocker wrote:

It is a Federal Law. I have an SBR and you will need a tax stamp to do it legally. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:12 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Making imperious demands

mnglocker wrote:
Kind of a pushy bastard aren't you? :P

Hey, at least he said "please". :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:15 pm 

mnglocker wrote:
16" barrel is the minium, unless you get a BATF tax stamp for a short barreled rifle. Also the gun must be a minium of 26" overall in length. As far as the rest goes it's all good. (imho) The only thing you'll have to be carefull about is on an import gun like an AK, once you change something a certain number of parts must be made state side.

I've always wondered how the ATF or police would tell if a part is made in the US, or overseas. It's not like gas pistons have "made in the USA" stamped on them.

In a big country dreams stay with you, like a lover's voice fires the mountainside. Stay alive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

gyrfalcon wrote:
I've always wondered how the ATF or police would tell if a part is made in the US, or overseas. It's not like gas pistons have "made in the USA" stamped on them.
Some do. I think Tapco did it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:50 pm 

White Horseradish wrote:
gyrfalcon wrote:
Some do. I think Tapco did it.

Yeah they do, but many other manufactures don't bother to label their parts in any fashion. They're almost exact replicas of the imported parts.

In a big country dreams stay with you, like a lover's voice fires the mountainside. Stay alive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:21 am 
Longtime Regular

It is a Federal thing. I know some people don't like Wiki, but here ya go - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_barreled_rifles

Of course they reference: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/search/display.html?terms=short%20barreled&url=/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000921----000-.html

Ack, I missed that this had gone to page 2. :oops:

Anyway. . . Yup on Tapco being cool and stamping their stuff U.S. Of course, it does beg the question: If I buy a U.S. part and it isn't stamped would I get in troubled for etching "U.S." on it? Yeah, thet was a quasi-rhetorical . . . :roll:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.