Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:22 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Tech student arrested at Wal-Mart 
 Post subject: Tech student arrested at Wal-Mart
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Tech student arrested at Wal-Mart
Text message about gang violence stokes concerns over student's gun
Nick Todaro, Reporter
03-19-2009

A Louisiana Tech student involved with a campus gun rights organization was arrested at Wal-Mart on Wednesday night.

Alfred Saurage, a vocal supporter of Rep. Ernest Wooton’s bill for allowing students to carry concealed weapons on campus, is a senior in mechanical engineering at Tech. He has said he openly wears a .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol when out and about in Ruston.

The gun drew unwanted attention Wednesday from store workers and members of the public at Wal-Mart, partly because of a separate report of impending gang-related gun violence at the store originating from text messages.

Ruston Police were called to the scene.

Capt. Kevin Peden said store management asked Saurage to remove his gun and put it in his car because he was scaring customers and workers. He refused. Louisiana law empowers the public display and carrying of firearms.

“Store management advised the Ruston Police officers that a text message was going around about a person that was going to enter Wal-Mart and kill two women employees,” Peden said in a release. “At this time, it is not known from where the texts originated.”

Officers approached Saurage and asked him to leave the store. He refused again.

He was arrested on a charge of entry or remaining in a place after being forbidden, and bond was set at $1,000.

“According to Louisiana law, it is legal to wear an exposed firearm so long as it does not create a disturbance or alarm any persons,” Peden said. “Mr. Saurage was obviously creating a disturbance and causing a great deal of concern in the store, to the point of customers approaching officers as they arrived. The store was well within its rights to ask Mr. Saurage to leave the store and not return to the store unless he was unarmed.”

Police are investigating the text messages, Peden said, in relation to reports of text messaging hoaxes at Wal-Mart stores in Delware and Maryland. Investigators in those states have been inundated with calls regarding a text message that has been circulating, warning of an alleged gang initiation in which women will be killed in Wal-Mart. It has been dismissed as an urban myth.

The text message in that area reportedly read: "i don't noe how tru dis is but here it is. Dont go 2 any walmarts 2nite ther will be a gang initiation n dey have 2 kill 3 women at each store. Tell ur love 1s.”

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

I could almost put my support behind this guy if I hadn't read the following part of the article:

Quote:
Capt. Kevin Peden said store management asked Saurage to remove his gun and put it in his car because he was scaring customers and workers. He refused. Louisiana law empowers the public display and carrying of firearms.

“Store management advised the Ruston Police officers that a text message was going around about a person that was going to enter Wal-Mart and kill two women employees,” Peden said in a release. “At this time, it is not known from where the texts originated.”

Officers approached Saurage and asked him to leave the store. He refused again.

Sure, I don't think we as carriers should be persecuted for taking common-sense measures to protect ourselves and our loved ones, but if a company tells me to leave, I will... and I'll never be back to any of their stores.

It also seems to me that as the law is written in MN he would in fact be guilty of tresspass for not leaving after a lawful request to do so.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:44 pm 

Hmm, what a coincidence. I'm a mech. eng. who carries a .45 also.

Then again, I don't support his decision to "refuse" at all.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

Jai9100 wrote:

Nor do I. They have the right to ask me to leave, and I have the right to take my hard-earned cash elsewhere.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:36 pm 

Jai9100 wrote:

Maybe he's willing to be a test case?
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

I think he was wrong to refuse to leave but text messages don't suddenly appear from thin air. They have to come from someone. I think if they make the text message an issue in this case, they should be able to find out who sent it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:06 am 
Longtime Regular

The text message was actually a pretty widespread internent thing. . . kinda like years ago when there was the scare about HIV infected needles on gas pump handles. It popped up a few days ago even on other local boards. . . seems like I saw it on the MNSportBike board. Don't even know if ther text messages were real . . . may have run all it's distance via chain emails.

The idiocy of failing to leave when asked has of course already been mentioned +1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:06 am 
Journeyman Member

This guy is an idiot. Classic case of someone that I prefer to "stay off my side."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:09 am 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:
Jai9100 wrote:

Nor do I. They have the right to ask me to leave, and I have the right to take my hard-earned cash elsewhere.

If I'm reading it right, he wasn't charged with carrying, or with disturbing the peace. He was charged with failing to leave after having been ordered to by someone who had the authority to do so.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:41 am 
Longtime Regular

Considering the circumstances at the store, And how the police first asked him to put away the gun, The guy was totally wrong.

He was asking for trouble, and he got it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:05 am 

when they ask you to leave a private est it is time to go

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:07 am 

+1 on he should have left

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:48 am 
Longtime Regular

From the article, it appears that THE STORE NEVER ASKED HIM TO LEAVE.

If that's true, the cops have no authority to make him do so, and he appears to have acted within his rights.

This guy isn't a troublemaker, he's Rosa Parks.

Way to pile on, guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:56 am 

I don't want to be the test case, but I agree with Andrew's take on this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:05 pm 
Journeyman Member

Andrew Rothman wrote:
From the article, it appears that THE STORE NEVER ASKED HIM TO LEAVE.

If that's true, the cops have no authority to make him do so, and he appears to have acted within his rights.

The store may not have directly, but if an officer gives you a direct order, and you refuse....

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.