Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 9:32 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Unintended Consequences by John Ross 
 Post subject: Unintended Consequences by John Ross
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:53 pm 

A friend of mine recommend that I read this book-- It's over 800 pages but worth it as the author weaves fiction with fact on how America's gun laws could/have changed our history in general for Americans over since the National firearms Act of 1934— There is a lot of history on our current federal gun laws--

Great read for the “gun culture” in America—

Anyway Hennepin County was able to find a copy for me from Kitchigami County Library--

the author has his own web site:

http://www.john-ross.net/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:39 pm 
Wise Elder

If anyone wants to buy a copy, I have about a dozen. $25 each.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:25 pm 

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Quite a page turner at places and good historical review at others. Fast read, for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:01 pm 

Bought this book last year, and thought at the time, if ever buying a book would put you on some kind of list somewhere, this might be one of them. Very enlightening though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:40 am 
Gun-Toting Liberal

You'll definitely be on the list if you later buy Enemies Foreign and Domestic, State of Disobedience, The Third Revolution, Molon Labe and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. It only gets worse if you are reading Mike Vanderboegh and some of the other 3%ers online without an anonymiser.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: I'd like a copy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:02 am 

Kimberman, how can I get a copy from you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:39 pm 

I hope I am not on some list-- I canceled by request for the Anarchist Cookbook from the library before I put in my request for this book-- Cookbook is avaiable on line and also makes for some interesting reading :twisted: :wink:

The Report below is used in the book and is actually true-- I searched Yahoo for it-- How things have changed since 1982-- :cry: The link should take you to a Senate Report--

The Right to Keep and Bear Arms - February 1982-

http://www.constitution.org/mil/rkba1982.htm

Below is pasted from the report- top of page 23

Based upon these hearings, it is apparent that enforcement tactics made possible by current federal firearms laws are constitutionally, legally, and practically reprehensible Although Congress adopted the Gun Control Act with the primary object of limiting access of felons and high-risk groups to firearms, the overbreadth of the law has led to neglect of precisely this area of enforcement. For example the Subcommittee on the Constitution received correspondence from two members of the Illinois Judiciary, dated in 1980, indicating that they had been totally unable to persuade BATF to accept cases against felons who were in possession of firearms including sawed-off shotguns. The Bureau's own figures demonstrate that in recent years the percentage of its arrests devoted to felons in possession and persons knowingly selling to them have dropped from 14 percent down to 10 percent of their firearms cases. To be sure, genuine criminals are sometimes prosecuted under other sections of the law. Yet, subsequent to these hearings, BATF stated that 55 percent of its gun law prosecutions overall involve persons with no record of a felony conviction, and a third involve citizens with no prior police contact at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:43 am 
Longtime Regular

kpaul wrote:
Yet, subsequent to these hearings, BATF stated that 55 percent of its gun law prosecutions overall involve persons with no record of a felony conviction, and a third involve citizens with no prior police contact at all.

That is a sickening waste of taxpayer money.

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:55 pm 

I just finished the book-- A great read for sure but not before bed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:53 am 

Just got Enemies Foreign and Domestic as well, thanks for the tip!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:35 am 

Hi Kimberman. I've been a long time lurker and have just joined here. I would be interested in one of your copies of Unintended Consequences. I'd send you a private message, but I can't seem to be able to. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:01 pm 

kimberman wrote:
If anyone wants to buy a copy, I have about a dozen. $25 each.

PM sent.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:45 am 
Longtime Regular

kpaul wrote:
I canceled by request for the Anarchist Cookbook from the library before I put in my request for this book-- Cookbook is avaiable on line and also makes for some interesting reading :twisted: :wink:
According to a pyrotechnics guy I know it mostly provides you with surefire ways to earn the nickname "Stumpy". :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:58 am 

I survived somehow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:10 pm 

White Horseradish wrote:
kpaul wrote:
I canceled by request for the Anarchist Cookbook from the library before I put in my request for this book-- Cookbook is avaiable on line and also makes for some interesting reading :twisted: :wink:
According to a pyrotechnics guy I know it mostly provides you with surefire ways to earn the nickname "Stumpy". :twisted:

If I remember right you are correct-- I had the honor to be able to hang out some with USMC demo. guys back in the day and would suggest a military manual over cookbook any day-- The cookbook was just a lot more entertaining adn fun to read--

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.