Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:21 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 I know antis are illogical, but *this* ... 
 Post subject: I know antis are illogical, but *this* ...
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

http://necpgv.blogspot.com/2009/04/state-legislators-are-playing-with-fire.html

Quote:
State Legislators Are Playing With Fire

There’s a new and extremely dangerous crop of gun bill springing up around the country. This bill is specifically designed to go after the federal authority to regulate guns. The goal is to get the new law into the courts, and ultimately before the Supreme Court, to challenge the federal authority to regulate guns through interstate commerce laws. These legislators, egged on by gun extremists and anti-federal government devotees, are playing with fire.

Here’s how it works: Montana has just passed legislation that says guns manufactured in Montana, and sold to people who intend to keep these guns in Montana, are exempt from federal gun laws and regulations. This means licensed gun dealers do not need to run background checks on people buying these specially stamped “Made in Montana” guns. And because Montana has very few state laws pertaining to gun possession, many of those exempt from owning a gun under federal law will be free and clear to own guns under this new state law. This includes people who have been convicted of domestic violence offenses, those currently subject to a restraining order, and children as young as the age of 14. And of course, because state borders are open and unguarded there is little to stop people from taking these “Made in Montana” guns to other states. Wow, talk about creating a system ripe for abuse.

Okay, brief interjection: As soon as a 'Made in Montana' weapon gets out of the state it is subject to federal laws, so if it doesn't have a serial number or the possessor is a 'prohibited person', they are liable for a stretch at Club Fed.
Quote:
But Montana is not the only state looking to make it legal for dangerous people and children to buy guns. Similar legislation has been introduced in Alaska, Texas, Colorado, and Tennessee. This week, a Texas House committee held hearings on a bill that would not only exempt Texas-made firearms, gun accessories and ammunition sold within the state from federal gun regulations but would also add the provision that the Texas Attorney General’s office defend any Texans who are prosecuted by the federal government because of this law.

Putting aside the fact that exempting guns from federal regulations is an incredibly bad and recklessly dangerous idea, these bills fly in the face of everything this country stands for. They are meant to undermine our federal system of government. If states can exempt themselves from federal gun laws what else can they opt out of?

Brief interjection 2: Okay, let's <I>not</i> "[Put] aside the fact that exempting guns from federal regulations is an incredibly bad and recklessly dangerous idea", let's address it. Your evidence of this self-evident 'fact' is . . . what?

As for what else they can opt out of, how about any other Federal action which violates peoples' civil rights?
Quote:
Let's hope the courts act quickly and decisively to shut down this clearly unconstitutional law. Shame on legislators for supporting these bills that are not only dangerous, but blatantly anti-American.

Let me see if I can wrap my brain around this 'logic': A state law which requires the FedGov to follow the Constitution is . . . <I>un</i>Constitutional? Hunh?

Right now I am pretty well spaced on Vicodin, and this <I>still</i> doesn't make sense to me!

Does anyone else have some rational explanation of their 'logic'?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:37 pm 

Let's go back to the basics real quick.

Tenth Amendment: provides that powers that the Constitution does not delegate to the United States and does not prohibit the States from exercising, are "reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

This guy's got it completely backwards. There should never have been federal laws regarding guns in any other context than interstate commerce in the first place. It could be argued that federal gun laws are unconstitutional.

Of course, if you mentioned the word federalism to his face, you would probably get a blank stare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

I love Montana's law, and I am currently giving very serious deliberations to moving my household there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:17 pm 
Poet Laureate

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
I love Montana's law, and I am currently giving very serious deliberations to moving my household there.

You're not alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:41 pm 
Journeyman Member

If it werent so damn bad in the winter, and there were more jobs, I'd be there now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:49 pm 

Quote:
Let me see if I can wrap my brain around this 'logic': A state law which requires the FedGov to follow the Constitution is . . . unConstitutional? Hunh?

It's very easy. If it makes me "feel bad" it must be un-Constitutional, right?

http://mrra.org
6 down, 24 to go.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:18 pm 
Journeyman Member

The only problem with Montana is Missoula. The bastion of western liberalism! Maybe we should all move there and push out the druggies and tree huggers.

Bersa Thunder 380
Beretta 92FS
Smith and Wesson M&P15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:20 pm 

I hope these states are successful with this and I hope more states do the same. I agree with the other posts here in that my first thought was, if any of these states pass this, I'll seriously consider moving there.

Ok, we have DC vs. Heller...2nd amendment pertains to THE PEOPLE, not the government, not the state, not the national guard. Why then do people not understand the "...shall not be infringed" part?? I just don't get it!! The laws on the books right now infringe on people's right to keep and bear arms and therefore are unconstitutional! :bang:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

Carbide Insert wrote:
SultanOfBrunei wrote:

You're not alone.

Sultan & Carbide...........you're not alone......... :twisted:

MN taxes is the 'biggest' thing pushing me away.

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:31 pm 
Gun-Toting Liberal

QuiChenKane wrote:
If it weren't so damn bad in the winter.

How much worse could it be?

"We are therefore persuaded that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment incorporates the Second Amendment and applies it against the states and local governments." Nordyke v. King 4/20/09

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

Rotary12 wrote:
The only problem with Montana is Missoula. The bastion of western liberalism! Maybe we should all move there and push out the druggies and tree huggers.

Bozeman, even more so.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:09 pm 
Journeyman Member

Is there any place in this large expanse of land we call the US of A where freedom loving individuals can go and thrive? :?:

Bersa Thunder 380
Beretta 92FS
Smith and Wesson M&P15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

Rotary12 wrote:
Is there any place in this large expanse of land we call the US of A where freedom loving individuals can go and thrive? :?:

Yep! Anywhere in Montana that doesn't involve Missoula and Bozeman. :P

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:05 pm 
Journeyman Member

ScottM wrote:
QuiChenKane wrote:

Well, they got 4 feet of snow and had to close some highways a week ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

QuiChenKane wrote:
ScottM wrote:
QuiChenKane wrote:

Well, they got 4 feet of snow and had to close some highways a week ago.

Why complain? The snowmobile season starts in September and ends in June. 8)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.