Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 A local crime not in the news (yet?) 
 Post subject: A local crime not in the news (yet?)
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:48 am 
Longtime Regular

This is a bit of hearsay, since I know this from a a family member of mine who talked to the girl, not from the girl herself. Still, I think this is worthwhile to share.

This young woman is a Somali immigrant and a college student. Her 14 year old sister was kidnapped a little over a week ago in the Twin Cities on the way home from school. She was found a few days ago in Nashville. Apparently the kidnappers were 5 "youths", also Somali, and the reason for kidnapping was that they wanted some entertainment. They repeatedly raped her over the course of the week. They are in custody, and this is a federal case now since the crime spans several states.

The families of the perps are now harassing the victims family trying to get them to withdraw the complaint and to keep the victim from testifying. So far it's just phone calls, but the sister (the main force behind staying the course with the prosecution) is not going anywhere alone, even to the restroom.

I asked my family member to let her know that if she wants to look into a permit (and she should) I would be happy to explain the process and put her in touch with an instructor.

On a personal note, WTF? This is getting way out of hand. These a3holes think that just because it's one of "theirs" they can do anything they want? Hopefully federal prison will teach them otherwise.

Post subject: Re: A local crime not in the news (yet?)
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:55 am 
Longtime Regular

White Horseradish wrote:
This is a bit of hearsay, since I know this from a a family member of mine who talked to the girl, not from the girl herself. Still, I think this is worthwhile to share.

This young woman is a Somali immigrant and a college student. Her 14 year old sister was kidnapped a little over a week ago in the Twin Cities on the way home from school. She was found a few days ago in Nashville. Apparently the kidnappers were 5 "youths", also Somali, and the reason for kidnapping was that they wanted some entertainment. They repeatedly raped her over the course of the week. They are in custody, and this is a federal case now since the crime spans several states.

The families of the perps are now harassing the victims family trying to get them to withdraw the complaint and to keep the victim from testifying. So far it's just phone calls, but the sister (the main force behind staying the course with the prosecution) is not going anywhere alone, even to the restroom.

I asked my family member to let her know that if she wants to look into a permit (and she should) I would be happy to explain the process and put her in touch with an instructor.

On a personal note, WTF? This is getting way out of hand. These a3holes think that just because it's one of "theirs" they can do anything they want? Hopefully federal prison will teach them otherwise.

+1 on your closing thoughts, and I'm sure you'll find many instructors around here would be willing to help (private class, short notice, etc.).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:59 am 
Longtime Regular

I'm assuming she's 21 and eligible to possess a firearm and get a permit, Find that out soonest.

If she's willing, I'll do everything I can to make it happen (free). Let me know.

Suggest she seeks an emergency permit due to death threats and intimidation.

Restraining orders (paper trail and let the perps' families know she has reported it to the police)

Purchase permit if none of the above

Time at the range regardless.

Need to borrow anything to help in the instruction?

Last edited by plblark on Thu May 07, 2009 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
I'm assuming she's 21 and eligible to possess a firearm and get a permit, Find that out soonest.

If she's willing, I'll do everything I can to make it happen. Let me know.

Suggest she seeks an emergency permit due to death threats and intimidation.

Restraining orders (paper trail and let the perps' families know she has reported it to the police)

Purchase permit if none of the above

Time at the range regardless.

Need to borrow anything to help in the instruction?

+1 on the emergency permit, and a lot of the folks around here will do those classes at no charge.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:16 pm 

I'll offer instruction free of charge if she plans on applying for the emergency permit.

Protect yourself and the ones you love.

NRA Certified Instructor
MADFI Certified Instructor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

As father of a daughter who will one day be 14. The perps will never get enough time.

I vote they get death by cheese grater, liberal dousings with alcohol between peelings so the wounds don't get infected :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

Any form of documentation at all(complaint, report, emergency permit, etc) is enough to put her in my class for free.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject: Re: A local crime not in the news (yet?)
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:39 pm 
The Man

White Horseradish wrote:

I won't be first on this, since others read it first, but: I've got a B2C class a week from tomorrow, and carry classes on the following two days. If she's there with her emergency permit (which she should get, anyway) the class and ammo are on me. (The range time and targets would be, too, but I'm guessing BPR will beat me to it, as per <s>usual</s> always.)

Last edited by joelr on Thu May 07, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

Gentlemen, this is the sort of response that I had no doubt was forthcoming.

I have asked for your kind offers to be passed on. I would really hate to see intimidation work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:48 pm 
1911 tainted

Same offer here, I have done this several times, just like other instructors on this forum. I think it is safe to say that every instructor, at least the ones I know, will offer there services free of charge to anyone in a situation like this.
(we can afford to do this because we over charge for our regular classes)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:58 pm 
The Man

cobb wrote:
Same offer here, I have done this several times, just like other instructors on this forum. I think it is safe to say that every instructor, at least the ones I know, will offer there services free of charge to anyone in a situation like this.
(we can afford to do this because we over charge for our regular classes)
Close. Most do; a few have a different version of "free" than you and me. This irritates me to no end, but, then, I irritate easy.

ETA: for those non-AACFI instructors who get books from me, when you give out a book for emergency permit training, please let me know and I'll be honored to replace it, if you'll let me. (AACFI gets dibs on doing that for AACFI instructors; fair is fair.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: class
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:04 pm 

If I can help with training, practice, or a class (N/C of course) let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well, I hate to be last, but of course, "me, too."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:13 am 

Macx wrote:
As father of a daughter who will one day be 14. The perps will never get enough time.

I vote they get death by cheese grater, liberal dousings with alcohol between peelings so the wounds don't get infected :twisted:

Mixed with salt, perhaps? With some vigorous rubbing?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:30 am 
The Man

I don't know enough to have a feel if this is the sort of thing where it would be beneficial -- to the victim and the family -- if it were to become very, very public, but I hope they and their friends will think that through.

Sigh. One of the factors in such things is the shame issue. There should be a lot of shame -- for the folks who did such a thing to a young girl (in this case), not the young girl. But that is not how many cultures -- including, alas, the general American one -- work.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.