Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 4:33 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Employers can't ban guns? 
 Post subject: Employers can't ban guns?
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:30 pm 

I came across this in a recent article from Kiplingers newsletter:
Quote:
Interested in banning guns at your workplace? You may not be able to. More and more states are prohibiting employers from banning guns, opting for protecting a worker’s right to bear arms over easing business concerns. Alaska, Fla., Ga., Kan., Ky., La., Minn., Miss. and Okla. already tie employers’ hands on the matter, and Idaho and Mont. have laws ready for their governors to sign. Similar bills are being considered in Ala., Ariz., Ind., Mo., S.C., Tenn. and Texas. State laws vary. But at a minimum they allow workers to keep guns in cars in company parking lots, as long as the weapons are legally owned and locked up. Businesses worry about violence, particularly with layoffs on the rise. One study shows homicides are much higher when guns are allowed near work sites. Employers also need to be careful about asking questions about firearms. Attorneys see a wave of lawsuits alleging discrimination against workers who say they own a gun. The state gun laws protect owners from being singled out.

So...all the companies that say "no guns allowed" in the handbook is like the "...bans guns in these premise" signs-just to keep the tree huggers and anti's calm?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

You may (and likely will) be fired for bringing a weapon to work against company policy, should your company have said policy.

In other words...arrested? No. Unemployed? Yup.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:02 pm 

I agree that it would turn into a bad situation if it came up.
I suppose if they found out you were packing, they wouldn't fire you for that, but would happen to find some other reason to fire you, just to save themselves?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

johnica wrote:
I agree that it would turn into a bad situation if it came up.
I suppose if they found out you were packing, they wouldn't fire you for that, but would happen to find some other reason to fire you, just to save themselves?

No, if they have a no weapons policy, they would absolutely fire you for that, and would have the right to do so. Carry laws do not override the ability of an employer to set policy, with the exception of storage of guns in your car in the parking lot.

And in the case of the parking lot, your comment could very well become true.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Employers can't ban guns?
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

johnica wrote:
One study shows homicides are much higher when guns are allowed near work sites.

I'd like to know exactly which "study" this refers to.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:24 am 
Longtime Regular

Who wants to go find the Brady press release from which this was copied , probably verbatim? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:05 am 
Longtime Regular

“Homicides are much higher when guns are allowed near work sites”, now what in blue blazes does that mean? My house is near a work site. There is a small business park about a block and a half away. So because I have a lot of guns in my home that must raise the likelihood of a homicide at these businesses. When people read this crap do they ever bother to stop and think about what they are reading? Apparently not.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:40 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Whatever that is from, it is written for shock and awe.

"Employers can't protect you from guns! {whisper} in the parking lot... " Big deal.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:48 am 
Longtime Regular

And again, just so it's crystal clear...

The article is wrong. MN does NOT tie employer's hands. They may ban guns by policy all they like, and may enforce such policy. The only exception is in the parking lot (and let's face it, there are a million other reasons to tell someone they're being fired...including no reason at all, we're an at-will state!).

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:54 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Yes. Exactly.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:54 am 
Longtime Regular

In the circles I rotate Kiplinger's is rarely thought of as a source of usable financial information for anyone but amatuers. I can't imagine their contributions to firearms law analysis would even approach that level.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:16 pm 
Journeyman Member

Minnesota law ONLY bans employers from banning guns in a company parking lot in employees personal vehicles.

Other than that, violate the policy and you could be looking for a new job.

"Don't ask, don't tell" applies to more than just the military.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.