Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:09 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Your "Go to" books for tactical pistol...? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:48 am 

Thanks for all the great feedback. I think the reading is important since so much of self-defense/tactics is in the mind, but as soon as I can afford it, I will probably look Don Larson up - Seems promising for a "poor" guy. :wink:

"There are good men and bad men of all nationalities, creeds and colors; and if this world of ours is ever to become what we hope some day it may become, it must be by the general recognition that the man's heart and soul, the man's worth and actions, determine his standing."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:52 am 
Wise Elder

When it comes to handgunning, I recommend

-- The Modern Technique of the Pistol by Gregory Boyce Morrison. Filled with photos illustrating the techniques discussed.

-- The Farnam Method of Defensive Handgunning by John S Farnam. Encyclopedic yet simply presented and assimulated.

Cooper's Principles of Personal Defense is entertaining, but there's no meat here.

The Ayoob Files surely describes the reality of gunfighting.
But I never see Ayoob's point; what lesson is being taught?

FWIW.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:36 am 

Principles of Personal Defense is not so much a "how to" but a "why". I think it offers a good discussion of the proper mindset for self-defense.

Ayoob Files has some good case study examples of real-life self defense cases. I like to learn from other people's mistakes.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:53 am 
Wise Elder

Erik, I concur with your assessment (sp?) of both Principles and Ayoob files.

One of the reasons I subscribe to American Handgunner Magazine is for the monthly Ayoob Files column. But I still find Ayoob's writing style a tad difficult; I have to dig hard to find his points.

Cooper's Principles is a good starting point. But I've always thought the "why" something you have to figure out for yourself.

On the other hand, Cooper's Fireworks is a wonderful collection of commentary and history.

Alfred

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:23 pm 

aofpol wrote:
Erik, I concur with your assessment (sp?) of both Principles and Ayoob files.

One of the reasons I subscribe to American Handgunner Magazine is for the monthly Ayoob Files column. But I still find Ayoob's writing style a tad difficult; I have to dig hard to find his points.

+1 about Ayoob's writing. He's knowledgeable, but somethings I think he's trying to be Mickey Spillane.

I used the Ayoob Files book as a starting point, then did my own research on the related cases.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Your "Go to" books for tactical pistol...?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:40 am 

I recently finished reading Mike Conti's book, "The Officer's Guide to Police Pistolcraft." Excellent stuff, highly recommended. It's geared towards cops, but there is good info there for anyone who carries a gun.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:36 pm 

the gun digest book of combat handgunnery 6th edition by massad ayoob

i havent read it yet but i recieved it as a gift a while back. i have paged threw it some and it does go into some detail on techniques, but it also deals with choice of weapons,holsters, and other gear.

it appears to really have a lot of good information in it. hmmm....... i need to get going on my reading. :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

jmw55018 wrote:
the gun digest book of combat handgunnery 6th edition by massad ayoob

i havent read it yet but i recieved it as a gift a while back. i have paged threw it some and it does go into some detail on techniques, but it also deals with choice of weapons,holsters, and other gear.

it appears to really have a lot of good information in it. hmmm....... i need to get going on my reading. :mrgreen:

Got it. It's actually not bad. Typical Massad in a lot of parts, so if you know his style, you know what you're in for.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:24 pm 

mrokern wrote:
Got it. It's actually not bad. Typical Massad in a lot of parts, so if you know his style, you know what you're in for.

-Mark

yep i kinda like the way he thinks most of the time. i think it will make a good, informative read.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.