Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 9:01 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Please!!! Steal my billfold 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

What are the crooks after? The cash or the identity stuff (Credit cards, DL, etc.)? I would think that most of this type of mugging is over cash for a drug fix. If thats the case, the money clip sounds like a good thing... at least you could drive home afterwards.

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:25 pm 

They're mainly after cash. Depending on the extent of the doer's connections, the ID and credit cards are either discarded are given to someone higher up the food chain.

The main concern would be having a robber get the idea that you are holding out on them and not giving up all your cash. The archetypal response is to say "that's all I've got" while throwing a money clip with a twenty showing wrapped around three ones in one direction and running in the other.

It is unusual though not unheard of for people robbing individuals to utilize a firearm to effect the robbery. Usually it's a blade, force of numbers, or superiority in weight and strength. Therefore, the question of drawing upon someone who is themselves armed does not ordinarily come up in such events. With a reasonable amount of situational awareness, one could hope to have a weapon in hand before a robber had closed to the point where a choice between producing a wallet or a firearm had to be made.

I find Marc MacYoung's site to be unusually insightful and informative regarding how these crimes actually unfold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:24 pm 

MostlyHarmless wrote:
It is unusual though not unheard of for people robbing individuals to utilize a firearm to effect the robbery. Usually it's a blade, force of numbers, or superiority in weight and strength. Therefore, the question of drawing upon someone who is themselves armed does not ordinarily come up in such events. With a reasonable amount of situational awareness, one could hope to have a weapon in hand before a robber had closed to the point where a choice between producing a wallet or a firearm had to be made.

A very good point, thanks for bringing it up.

I see a robbery as a chain of events, during which, at almost any point, can be managed. This is something I specifically teach in my tactics classes.

The VCA (Violent Criminal Adversary) sizes you up to see if you will be an easy target. Demonstration of situational awareness and body language will help the VCA either choose you as a target or pass on.

If they decide you are a viable target, the VCA will attempt to distract you by asking you for the time, soliciting money, or other distraction.

If you dismiss them, keep looking around, and keep moving, they will likely move on.

If you stop, talk to them and allow the distraction to take place, that's usually when the weapon is displayed and the threat made.

I think the key in this situation - like any other self-defense situation - is to get immediate control and make the VCA react to you, not the other way around.

When confronted, you will be standing "on the X" where the VCA wants you to be. Throwing out your wallet should provide enough distraction for you to draw, "move off the X" and either engage the VCA or flee the area.

Drawing your gun by itself will NOT be enough - you have to move "off the X" and force the VCA to re-acquire you as a target. This is split-second stuff, but with training it can be done. My students and I have tested this in Force-on-Force and it works very well.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, situational awareness and techniques for re-directing the VCA's pre-attack advances can prevent you from having to get to this point.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:21 pm 

Who uses a billfold? I keep my credit cards, ID & cash in my Glock mounted money clip. It seems that the intended perpetrator wants nothing to do with me after he asks for my wallet. Don't know why.....(see link below)

http://www.clipdraw.com/images/glocks/glock.jpg :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

partsscout wrote:
Who uses a billfold? I keep my credit cards, ID & cash in my Glock mounted money clip. It seems that the intended perpetrator wants nothing to do with me after he asks for my wallet. Don't know why.....(see link below)

http://www.clipdraw.com/images/glocks/glock.jpg :lol:

Ok, :lol: for the idea of using it as a money clip...

But does anyone else think that thing is a bad idea on a Glock when used as intended? :shock:

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:11 pm 

The Glock money clip has no trigger guard, bummer.

Perhaps SGH can build a holster that accommodates this? It may make showing my ID to purchase beer a little hair raising though.....bad idea, sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:07 pm 

mrokern wrote:

But does anyone else think that thing is a bad idea on a Glock when used as intended? :shock:

-Mark

It's much cheaper than most IWB holsters, and adds no additional thickness to the weapon. If you're using it as intended you need to draw, cock and aim. This adds time in presenting your firearm to the threat.

I'm not sure it's a bad idea, but it might not be the most effective product in a quick draw scenario.

In a big country dreams stay with you, like a lover's voice fires the mountainside. Stay alive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

gyrfalcon wrote:
mrokern wrote:

-Mark

It's much cheaper than most IWB holsters, and adds no additional thickness to the weapon. If you're using it as intended you need to draw, cock and aim. This adds time in presenting your firearm to the threat.

I'm not sure it's a bad idea, but it might not be the most effective product in a quick draw scenario.

Ah yes, now I see the reprint from the GLOCK manual.

Which I ignore, so I'll be avoiding this product. I like my legs without holes. :lol:

It's pretty clear where I fall in the chambered / not chambered debate... 8)

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:40 pm 

mrokern wrote:

You actually don't even need to look in the manual, the clip he has pictured has a warning stamped right on it: "WARNING: NOT FOR USE WITH GUN IN THE READY TO FIRE CONDITION"

In a big country dreams stay with you, like a lover's voice fires the mountainside. Stay alive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

gyrfalcon wrote:
mrokern wrote:

You actually don't even need to look in the manual, the clip he has pictured has a warning stamped right on it: "WARNING: NOT FOR USE WITH GUN IN THE READY TO FIRE CONDITION"

I blame my bad eyes. :oops:

:lol:

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:34 am 
Longtime Regular

Usually I just throw my 1911 at the perp, then I draw my Glock while they're still stunned from the blow. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:40 am 
Raving Moderate

MostlyHarmless wrote:
I find Marc MacYoung's site to be unusually insightful and informative regarding how these crimes actually unfold.

+1 on MacYoung's site. He has a great deal of insight into the criminal mind and how it operates on his site and in his books.

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.