Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 4:33 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Please!!! Steal my billfold 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:38 am 
Longtime Regular

cobb wrote:
No, when I throw down my real wallet, my keys, my cell, and the attacker is reaching for the treasures, I know I can draw and fire several shots a lot faster that I can run. :wink:

wether you're throwing down your real stuff or a decoy, the principle is the same. at least with the decoy, they're getting $20 but not your home address. That's the biggest advantage to me. If they still shake you down and find both sets, you're none the poorer. At that point, you're probably looking down a gun and they're going to find your gun.

So are you really arguing against a decoy wallet or are you arguing the difference between throw and run vs. throw and draw?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:50 am 
Longtime Regular

I've followed this thread with much interest. I believe I settle on the throw and draw side as opposed to throw and run.

Lots of variables to consider: What if my SO trips and falls but I get away? That would be mighty tough to live with.

I don't know that I can run fast enough to get out of range of a shooter before he can plug me in the arse. I do know the Tueller Drill though, and I know I can put a couple accurate shots out there a lot faster than I can haul my but away from danger (depending on the area). Move and defend sounds better than run and hope.

Way too many variables to say that one method is always the best though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:53 am 
1911 tainted

plblark wrote:
So are you really arguing against a decoy wallet or are you arguing the difference between throw and run vs. throw and draw?

There are several scenarios that can play out, the throw down wallet option assumes the bad guy is going to come up and ask for your wallet, thus having that option of using a throw down. What happens if the thug just comes up and cold cocks you, in a dazed condition, will you throw you fake and your real wallet? Why not carry a half dozen silver dollars, probably cheaper than a throw down and you would have to think it would get a bad guys attention when you toss those big shiny coins out on the pavement.
I don't think most will even carry a decoy wallet, most that have a permit to carry do not carry tools that even more important, like a flashlight. So I guess that I am arguing against a decoy wallet, because in reality, most will not carry it with them anyway, kinda hard to initiate a plan with out the materials to do so.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:57 am 
Longtime Regular

Ok, I'll bite. Since most won't do it, the tactic is a bad one?

To be fair, I think it's an excellent idea and I have yet to do it.

If the guy walks up and cold cocks me, you're right, that situation isn't where the throw down is going to work. But then you're setting the stage in the worst possible situation.

For the worst case scenario you've limited this to, you're right. For anything short of it, the tactic / bait MIGHT have some utility. By your logic, since the robber is gonna cold cock you and have the gun on you, might as well not carry a gun. In the worst case, you probably won't be abler to get to it, right?

For anything short of worst case, I prefer to have the option. It's not perfect , it's not a miracle cure but then again, we know the perfect is the enemy of the good, right?

And yes, I carry a cell phone and a flashlight everywhere (funny how often you need either when you leave them at home, isn't it? :-))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:27 am 

i think it can be a usefull tactic to carry the throw down in the situation that the thug is going to just take it and run but on the other hand if he does have some type of weapon and he holds you up with it if he does take a look at the throw down and notices theres nothing but junk in it you might have created a worse case for yourself. myself, i dont have any room to carry anything else i got my wallet, keys, phone, gun, pocket knife, surefire e2d flashlight not much room for any extras

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:55 am 
Longtime Regular

para45lda wrote:
myself, i dont have any room to carry anything else i got my wallet, keys, phone, gun, pocket knife, surefire e2d flashlight not much room for any extras

+1 on that

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:57 am 
Longtime Regular

MostlyHarmless wrote:
I do use a money clip and separate card-only wallet. [...] were I robbed, the money clip would come out first, which is all the BGs usually want, eliminating the additional inconvenience and aggravation of dealing with lost credit cards and whatnot.

Man is that the best of both worlds? Great idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:18 am 
Longtime Regular

If they are with in arms length, I train to disarm and use their gun on them and my carry becomes a NY reload. If they are not within arms reach I subscribe to cobb's tactics. In no way would I say that what I think is what would be the best for someone else. We all need to train for what we believe is the best action for us personally in a given scenario. Our mindset is the most important thing....

I love the discussion.
8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
If the guy walks up and cold cocks me, you're right, that situation isn't where the throw down is going to work. But then you're setting the stage in the worst possible situation.

Practice draw-to-fire, supine.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:47 pm 

Carry it on your weak side so that, well, if the need arises....your strong hand is ready, to, well you get the picture. :wink:

RTK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

rtk wrote:
Carry it on your weak side so that, well, if the need arises....your strong hand is ready, to, well you get the picture. :wink:

RTK

Don't be silly. Carry a gun on each side...

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:55 pm 

chunkstyle wrote:
rtk wrote:

RTK

It's not for everyone, but that's what I do.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:06 am 

Erik_Pakieser wrote:
chunkstyle wrote:
rtk wrote:

RTK

It's not for everyone, but that's what I do.

That's what I've settled on. (Primary carry gun has to go in for service; XD's take-down lever is VERY tight) - bought 'el cheapo' (SCCY Kel-Tec P11 clone) then found XD-sub in my primary caliber (9mm) - now have 2 + 1 fullsize.

I've decided, if I already win Murphy's first lottery (Congrats! You're in a gunfight!) what's the odds he's gonna have some REAL fun with me, and make a gun malfunction?

I'm already carrying one, what's one more?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:24 am 

they have been doing this with cell phones in the phillipines for a long time, they keep a fake or crappy one in one pocket and the real one in another. seeing as most folks have nice phones and no money in less developed asia, thte crooks are after those more then wallets.

you would be supprised the amount of people i know who earn 200-400 per month that have a 700-1500 dollar mobile phone, i know it is insane, but they do have a fair number of phones over here that get close to the 1k price range, and there is one gold or platnum nokia that sells localy for 1500 USD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:05 pm 
Journeyman Member

Thats so creepy, just last night that I was thinking about finally putting together my own fake wallet. What a coincidence.

I'm thinking maybe 5 bucks, a bunch of those fake credit cards you get sent in junk mail, and various other rubbish, ala "Catch me if you can" (movie)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.