Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 12:27 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Man has no regrets defending Oklahoma City pharmacy 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:57 am 
Raving Moderate

Wow. Far be it from me to throw someone under the bus for a clean shoot, but this was anything but... :roll:

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:23 am 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:
Oh man, I just watched the security video unedited (time stamp shows no jumps).

He's toast. It was a calm execution.

-Mark

I would bet he will not be convicted by an Oklahoma jury. I do not like what he did but stress affects can affect everyone differently. I do think the video and evidence shows he used greater force than required but he did not bate them into the store. My guess is he will get a hung jury if it gets to a jury. Not a good situation at all.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:33 pm 

After watching the DA's explanation and watching the video, I think Mr. Ersland is in a world of crap. I think he undoubtedly went too far.

Granted, it's hard to know how one will react given a situation like that, but I would hope my judgment would be different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

jaysong wrote:
mrokern wrote:
Oh man, I just watched the security video unedited (time stamp shows no jumps).

He's toast. It was a calm execution.

-Mark

I would bet he will not be convicted by an Oklahoma jury. I do not like what he did but stress affects can affect everyone differently. I do think the video and evidence shows he used greater force than required but he did not bate them into the store. My guess is he will get a hung jury if it gets to a jury. Not a good situation at all.

I think he's screwed, honestly. This goes beyond greater force. He killed someone who was no longer a threat. That's not self-defense, it's murder.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:04 pm 

mrokern wrote:

I think he's screwed, honestly. This goes beyond greater force. He killed someone who was no longer a threat. That's not self-defense, it's murder.

-Mark

At that point it wasn't self defense, the guy was unconscious, that was an execution.

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

/begin-smartass/
Should we open the can of worms that if he had used enough gun in the first place...
/end-smartass/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:43 pm 

mrokern wrote:
/begin-smartass/
Should we open the can of worms that if he had used enough gun in the first place...
/end-smartass/

Nah. Of the two guns he had at his disposal, both were adequate if his initial shot was placed well. Had he been more accurate, he might have stopped there, and may not have made the mistake he did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

I am not it wasn't an execution. I am saying that a jury may just let him get off.

Last edited by jaysong on Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:07 pm 

I think there's a big difference from a scenario where say firing 3-4 shots which would probably have stopped the threat or emptying a whole clip into someone in one quick motion which could maybe be justified. Versus something like this where he walks back past the guy laying shot on the floor, gets another firearm, stands over him and fires 5 more shots point blank while he is down. This is so far over the line that this guy is toast unless he gets a very sympathetic jury.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:51 pm 

pablobear wrote:
mrokern wrote:

-Mark

At that point it wasn't self defense, the guy was unconscious, that was an execution.

The video never shows the deceased after the first shot. (As far as I could tell.) The DA can argue he was unconscious when Ersland shot him the second time but that's just an argument. We can't see from the video if the deceased was moving or not.

The arguments about putting the first gun down and turning his back are also weak. The first gun was probably empty (useless) at that point. If it wasn't empty why get the second one? Ersland isn't a cop. I doubt he has had any training on keeping an eye on the "threat" at all times. The DA is making his case to the jury pool in advance to goad Ersland into pleading out. I hope he fights it, but it's neither my money nor my freedom.

Could go either way -- that's what the jury is for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

The video conflicts with his earlier version of what happened.

Quote:
But as he started to chase after the second robber, Ersland said, he looked back to see the 16-year-old he had shot in the head getting up again. Ersland said he then emptied the Kel-Tec .380 into the boy’s chest as he kept going after the second robber.

He came back into the pharmacy and then shot the perp who was down.

I really think he should have kept his mouth shut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:40 am 
Raving Moderate

Dee wrote:

That's what I think will seal the deal- his original story has very little to do with the video...

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:36 am 
Longtime Regular

Jeremiah wrote:
Dee wrote:

That's what I think will seal the deal- his original story has very little to do with the video...

A good defense attorney could argue.......... stress effects?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:11 am 
Longtime Regular

An attorney can argue anything they like.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:12 pm 
The Man

There's all sorts of possibilities -- and I'm not saying that any of these happened, or are likely, or will make a difference, but I've got some questions -- and please don't infer what you think my answers are, because nobody knows what my answers are, even me:

What if the first shot -- the one to the head -- killed the robber? What crime is committed when, in fact, one shoots a dead person? (Sure, there are some -- but is it murder?)

We don't see the shootie when he was on the floor. Did he make one of those "furtive motions" that, when a cop pulls a trigger on somebody who turns out to be unarmed, becomes the legal justification?

Was he running on adrenaline and temporarily unable to comport himself as required by law?

I dunno about any of this, but I am going to be doing some research over the next few days, and talking about his case in the obvious place, this weekend.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.