Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 3:42 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Dunbar Armored Car Requires a Revolver? 
 Post subject: Dunbar Armored Car Requires a Revolver?
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:47 am 
Longtime Regular

Dunbar (the red trucks) services the ATM in my building on a daily basis. They seem to do the AM service call about the same time I get into the office fairly often.

The regular crew was always the same two younger guys. One of them carried a S&W revolver with a 6" barrel in .357. (I asked him about when I was at the machine one day). His partner just said he was "old school". I took it at face value and offered my admiration. I noted his partner carried a Glock.

But today, there were two different younger guys and they had the same set up; one with a Glock and one with the wheel gun. Coincidence or company strategy?

I was thinking the .357 might give them a fighting chance against someone with body armor if they had it loaded with the right rounds.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:49 am 
Longtime Regular

I don't know their official policy but some of the guards don't own their guns and get company supplied guns. IIRC, my Step Sister had a 686 S&W.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:18 am 

I used to be on the other end of this spectrum, having some responsibility for selecting armored car vendors for my employer -- I was utterly shocked at the inadequate equipment and lack of updated firearms provided to these folks.

Then again, I know some police departments that had issues upgrading to semi-automatics from revolvers as well.

Sometimes progress comes slowly.
b

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:31 am 
First-time poster

When I worked for American Security, before they became Guarda .357 revolvers were permitted however they could only be loaded with .38 special ammunition. The ammunition was provided for you and you were of course required to use only the ammunition that was supplied to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:30 am 

My son drove for Dunbar last summer. They supply revolvers if you don't have a gun. DAO semi's are allowed if you have one. They actually have some sort of qualification for the guards to pass with the gun they are carrying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:54 am 
Longtime Regular

clevang wrote:
They supply revolvers if you don't have a gun.

That makes sense. I suppose they have a bunch of police returns of some sort or another.

A new S&W 686 costs more than a Glock.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

I would not feel under armed with my 686 but I would rather have the M&P ;)

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.