Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:48 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 North Dakota permit process going backwards... 
 Post subject: North Dakota permit process going backwards...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:17 am 
Forum Moderator

In a classic case of fixing something that is not broken, North Dakota is going backwards on issuance of permits.

The State is already one of the more restrictive on where you can carry, and now is simply screwing up the issuance process.

They are now (effective in August) going to have a two class permit system. I have no idea what the difference is between class 1 and class 2 permits. Next, they are effectively removing nearly all of their "test administrators" as they will be requiring class 1 instructors to live in ND (a class 1 permit will require a class, shooting exercise and mandatory instructor training conducted in ND). Next, all class 2 permits will require a written test (as now)...but the test must be given in North Dakota.

One could say that they are doing a really good job of reducing the number of permit holders.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: North Dakota permit process going backwards...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:49 am 
The Man

phorvick wrote:
In a classic case of fixing something that is not broken, North Dakota is going backwards on issuance of permits.

The State is already one of the more restrictive on where you can carry, and now is simply screwing up the issuance process.

They are now (effective in August) going to have a two class permit system. I have no idea what the difference is between class 1 and class 2 permits. Next, they are effectively removing nearly all of their "test administrators" as they will be requiring class 1 instructors to live in ND (a class 1 permit will require a class, shooting exercise and mandatory instructor training conducted in ND). Next, all class 2 permits will require a written test (as now)...but the test must be given in North Dakota.

One could say that they are doing a really good job of reducing the number of permit holders.
Sure. But for those folks who don't live in ND, what they're mainly doing is making the New Hampshire permit even more attractive. (They're not changing acceptance of the NH permit, are they? If so, please disregard the following.)

As a side benefit, they'll be saving out-of-state administrators who do the ND test primarily as a public service (folks like yourself; I remember you whipping out the forms and administering the test to the folks at the CLE I helped you teach) some trouble, and hobbling those who use it primarily as another revenue stream to gull non-ND residents into paying said out-of-state administrators to administer the ND test to folks for whom the NH permit is a far better deal (a shady practice, IMHO) just a little.

So I'll call it a mild win.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:22 am 
Forum Moderator

joelr wrote:
phorvick wrote:

Sure. But for those folks who don't live in ND, what they're mainly doing is making the New Hampshire permit even more attractive. (They're not changing acceptance of the NH permit, are they? If so, please disregard the following.)

As a side benefit, they'll be saving out-of-state administrators who do the ND test primarily as a public service (folks like yourself; I remember you whipping out the forms and administering the test to the folks at the CLE I helped you teach) some trouble, and hobbling those who use it primarily as another revenue stream to gull non-ND residents into paying said out-of-state administrators to administer the ND test to folks for whom the NH permit is a far better deal (a shady practice, IMHO) just a little.

No, a big loss. If you are in Mpls it is less of an issue. However, if you are in Moorhead or DetLks, then this is a big deal. Many folks here want the ND permit (and not one of the others they honor) as it is just less hassle if you are traffic stopped etc, and they want to help increase the number of ND permit holders, support the State etc. (As a full disclaimer, I make -0- $$ on being a test administrator...I lose $$...I do this for folks generally as a service at -0- charge, so there is no revenue stream to upsell here!) Further, there are very few (from what I can discern) current ND instructors in ND that plan on taking a class to stay as an approved ND instructor; just is not going to happen. But, I suppose, this may open up a revenue door for some other ND folks that might want to step in.

Remember that what we had was a simple test...15-30 minutes...at no or low cost (if you were a ND resident or not). Now, a ND resident that wants a class 1 permit (whatever that is) must take a class, pay more money, do a shooting exercise etc. (NOTE: I am NOT suggesting that a class, range trip etc is a bad thing, I am simply pointing out that the process to get a ND permit is now more time consuming and expensive than it was, and that seems ass backwards to me.)

Me? I'll just push NH for our MN folks that otherwise would have preferred to support our ND friends.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Last edited by phorvick on Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:16 am 
Longtime Regular

Do you think some of this is fallout from the blind guy?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:28 am 
The Man

phorvick wrote:
joelr wrote:
phorvick wrote:

No, a big loss. If you are in Mpls it is less of an issue. However, if you are in Moorhead or DetLks, then this is a big deal. Many folks here want the ND permit (and not one of the others they honor) as it is just less hassle if you are traffic stopped etc, and they want to help increase the number of ND permit holders, support the State etc.
Understood. But that's why I think it's a win; see below. We just disagree; my strong belief is that we'll survive.
Quote:
(As a full disclaimer, I make -0- $$ on being a test administrator...I lose $$...I do this for folks generally as a service at -0- charge, so there is no revenue stream to upsell here!)
If anybody thought I was accusing you of playing "The Upsell Boogie", I'm sorry; I wasn't. If you've ever engaged in a shady practice, I'm unaware of it, and would strongly doubt it.
Quote:
Further, there are very few (from what I can discern) current ND instructors in ND that plan on taking a class to stay as an approved ND instructor; just is not going to happen. But, I suppose, this may open up a revenue door for some other ND folks that might want to step in.

Remember that what we had was a simple test...15-30 minutes...at no or low cost (if you were a ND resident or not). Now, a ND resident that wants a class 1 permit (whatever that is) must take a class, pay more money, do a shooting exercise etc. (NOTE: I am suggesting that a class, range trip etc is a bad thing, I am simply pointing out that the process to get a ND permit is now more time consuming and expensive than it was, and that seems ass backwards to me.)

Me? I'll just push NH for our MN folks that otherwise would have preferred to support our ND friends.
Sure. And that's why I say it's a win -- the money (not as much; the NH permit costs less and covers more states) and the permit holder numbers go to NH, the state that appreciates both, not to ND, which manifestly doesn't.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:03 am 

Has there been any announcements related to current ND permit holders, e.g., whether they get converted to class 1 or class 2 or are somehow otherwise grandfathered into the new system?

Thanks,

Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:00 am 
Poet Laureate

phorvick wrote:
Many folks here want the ND permit (and not one of the others they honor) as it is just less hassle if you are traffic stopped etc, and they want to help increase the number of ND permit holders

I just can't help but read that with a smile on my face. I'm sufficiently "internetized" to see (and constantly interpret) the above lingo as I read it, as follows (even though I know he is talking about North Dakota):

Many folks here want the Negligent Discharge permit (and not one of the others they honor) as it is just less hassle if you are traffic stopped etc, and they want to help increase the number of Negligent Discharge permit holders

:lol:
Sigh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
What blind guy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

White Horseradish wrote:
DeanC wrote:
What blind guy?

This guy

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:50 pm 

Has ND changed reciprocity for any of the other states? Specifically FL?

You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

tsquared wrote:

No....what they are saying is that by offering a permit based upon a class and range time, they may get more reciprocity etc.....maybe even MN.

We'll see...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:42 pm 

phorvick wrote:
tsquared wrote:

No....what they are saying is that by offering a permit based upon a class and range time, they may get more reciprocity etc.....maybe even MN.

We'll see...

Got it. Thanks

You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.