Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:52 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Kahr PM9, good, bad, or ugly... 
 Post subject: Kahr PM9, good, bad, or ugly...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:59 am 
Journeyman Member

I saw one yesterday that might work very well for me as a EDC, just curious if the price is good, and overall impressions from those that own them.
It is the stainless slide version, with night sites for 799. I saw a used one yesterday as well (w/night sites) for 755, so the 35 dollar difference to get a new unit is pretty negligible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have had two pocket 9's - KelTec's P-11 and Kahr's PM9. I much prefer the PM9. It's more accurate, more reliable, has a better grip, and a much better trigger.

How either compares to any of the more recent pocket 9's, I can't say. I've used none of them. But I'm very happy with the PM9, and have been carrying it daily for about five years now, without a hint of a problem.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:42 pm 
Activist Extraordinaire

I have the sister gun to the PM9, the PM40. Works every time, quality construction, easy to conceal, DA trigger isn't too bad at all.

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:43 pm 
1911 tainted

The PM9 is my second most carried gun. I prefer to carry a 1911 in 45 acp, but when I can't, I grab my PM9. It has been 100% reliable and for it's size, surprisingly accurate.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:17 pm 
The Man

cobb wrote:
The PM9 is my second most carried gun. I prefer to carry a 1911 in 45 acp, but when I can't, I grab my PM9. It has been 100% reliable and for it's size, surprisingly accurate.
It's a good little gun; I like it. If I were to carry a small semiauto, that would probably be it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:52 pm 

I love my PM9. Very accurate and they are so easy to pocket carry. Mine has never had a Fail to Anything. I bought it used for $450. I believe phorvick had one for sale for less than that in April and I don't think he sold it. He insisted you come to his place in Detroit Lakes for a FTF. Might be worth the drive for that price!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:32 pm 
Journeyman Member

Love it. I like the night sights, and would definitely recommend them.

You'll hear some stories about the slide "peening" on some. It wasn't as big of a deal as some made it to be reliability wise, as it was gradual and noticeable well before any functional problems arose. It didn't just stop working without notice. I had this problem, they fixed it no questions asked, and I still love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:44 am 
First-time poster

I have a Kahr K9 for my primary CCW and I couldn't be happier. From day one, I haven't had any failures of any kind. I haven't shot any polymer Kahr pistols, but I prefer the steel's heft anyway. It's still light and thin enough that I barely notice it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Kahr.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:47 am 
Journeyman Member

It looks like I may go with a G26, simply because it works better for a system. I have a full size G17, and quite frankly, magazine compatibility makes just good sense. I don't really care what a gun looks like, just function. I cannot fault my G17 for the many thousands of rounds through it, trouble free, and simply because the Kahr is slightly smaller and thinner than the G26 is starting to seem a very small justification to use it when the muscle memory, interchangability, and training directly translate to the Baby Glock.
I am trying to track down a good deal locally, and am not a member of the Glock Shooters thing, does anyone have any advice for me? I will check Gander, Bills north, and maybe a couple others for pricing. I really don't see service as an issue on the purchase, and would like to simply get the best deal or package at this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:49 am 
Longtime Regular

I had a PM9 that I had some trouble with. But I've heard of so many who've had no issues at all that I believe my situation was just a fluke.

I've since switched to an MK9 and have had no issues with it. Sure it's a bit heavier for pocket carry, but still doable. Plus I avoided needing new accessories. The weight makes it easier to control. And personally, the grip panels help it fit my hands a little better. The PM9 was just a bit too small for me.

If you do decide to go with the PM9, hit the range with it and put about 250-350 rounds through it right away to break it in and see if you have any issues crop up.

Other considerations,
- Slide catch lever is quite sharp on the edges. You might want to round these off a little
- The plastic checkering is pretty tough on a bare hand during an extended shooting session. You can smooth it out a bit with sandpaper. Or cover it in an Agrip. Neither is a pretty solution. The Agrip also helps with grip if you get sweaty hands.
- Unless you've put a lot of round through it, it's a pretty tight gun, even when just broken in, and likes a bit more lubrication than some other brands.

They're great little guns and very concealable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:57 am 
Journeyman Member

I agree, and the research I have done says pretty much what you, Ree, and all the others have said. If I didn't have a full sized Glock as a primary/house/alternative carry weapon, I probably would have gone with it. that being said, if a cheap one comes in front of me in the future, it is nice to have options! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

replicant_argent wrote:
It looks like I may go with a G26, simply because it works better for a system.

The significant advantage of the PM9 over the G26 is that it's thinner. Kahr specializes in flat little handguns. Depending upon how you conceal, that may matter or it may not.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Kahr PM9, good, bad, or ugly...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:47 pm 

Late on this, and you might have already went G26, but I'm a PM9 fan as well. It's been my primary carry for a couple years, generally in a back pocket holster but also IWB in a crossbreed holster. The PM9 is the largest gun I'd consider a true option for a pocket.

There were some feed issues with the early ones but mine eats everything I put through it. Fed Hydra-Shoks are what I normally go with these days.

The G26 is a fine item too, but if you pocket carry I can't see how it'd work. A friend with a G26 can't pocket carry his - too wide.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.