Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:53 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Shooter in DC. Holocaust museum. 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:23 am 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:
BigBlue wrote:
tman065 wrote:
definitelty bringing my pistol with on vacation to DC next weekend...

You do know that almost every building in DC has a metal detector at the entrance, right?

BB

He's an active LEO. Granted, that won't help him at a lot of places, but it does let him carry in general.

-Mark

And last time I was at the Holocaust Museum, they let my LEO friend carry her firearm in with her. Metal detector pinged on it and she showed her badge. So yeah, it's worth bringing. I'm just not sure where all the "I have a badge" pass will work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:23 am 
Wise Elder

Thank God. It wasn't an AK or AR-type (you all know, .. the ERB).

Quote:
Investigators are trying to determine how von Brunn acquired the .22-caliber rifle used in the attack, said two other law enforcement officials, also speaking on condition of anonymity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:27 am 
Longtime Regular

We were just there this March. Metal detectors are everywhere, and in 90% of the museums I can remember. You will then be pulled aside, and any bags and pockets you have will be emptied and gone through if the detector goes off.

Its about as particular as airport security, and they fear stupid little things like fingernail clippers and small pocket knives just as much as somebody walking in with an Uzi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:52 am 
Longtime Regular

kimberman wrote:

Quote:
Investigators are trying to determine how von Brunn acquired the .22-caliber rifle used in the attack, said two other law enforcement officials, also speaking on condition of anonymity.

Don't fool yourself.

The lefts anti-gun agenda is all encompassing; they don't want just your "assault" weapons, they want EVERYTHING. Hunting shotguns and rifles, target pistols... a few years from now we'll hear about blackpowder revolvers being the new evil scourge.

There are already murmurs (in a another thread here, in fact) of a folding pocket knife ban. Then we'll move on to basball bats, kitchen knives and sharpened pencils.

[/Threadjack]

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Last edited by Binky .357 on Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:48 pm 
Poet Laureate

kimberman wrote:

Quote:

:shock:
Must have been a really good headshot to end the guard's life with that round.
Watch it turn out to be a single shot, bolt action boy scout's plinker purchased 80 years ago. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

kecker wrote:
mrokern wrote:
BigBlue wrote:
tman065 wrote:
definitelty bringing my pistol with on vacation to DC next weekend...

You do know that almost every building in DC has a metal detector at the entrance, right?

BB

He's an active LEO. Granted, that won't help him at a lot of places, but it does let him carry in general.

-Mark

And last time I was at the Holocaust Museum, they let my LEO friend carry her firearm in with her. Metal detector pinged on it and she showed her badge. So yeah, it's worth bringing. I'm just not sure where all the "I have a badge" pass will work.

It will be a crapshoot. My cousin was a tour guide at the Holocaust Museum and now works at the Capitol Visitors Center. I will rely on her for some good advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

tman065 wrote:
It will be a crapshoot. My cousin was a tour guide at the Holocaust Museum and now works at the Capitol Visitors Center. I will rely on her for some good advice.

Probably a pretty good person to see for advise. As I'm not sure I'd trust advise that's more than a couple weeks old. You're going to the land of 10,000 bureaucrats after all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

kecker wrote:
tman065 wrote:

Probably a pretty good person to see for advise. As I'm not sure I'd trust advise that's more than a couple weeks old. You're going to the land of 10,000 bureaucrats after all.

Kecker, I think you understated the number just a bit. I think if we took all the bureaucrates and filled up our 10,000+ lakes, it would only be a good start. :wink: :P

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:34 am 
Longtime Regular

Moby Clarke wrote:
Kecker, I think you understated the number just a bit. I think if we took all the bureaucrates and filled up our 10,000+ lakes, it would only be a good start. :wink: :P

Hmmm, you might be right. But the only way to find out is to try.

You start with the Department of Agriculture, I'll start with Health and Human Services.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

People like James von Brunn just reinforce my resolve.

Crossposted from my blog:

Quote:
"Never Again" is not a prayer.
On Facebook today, I noted that today would have been Anne Frank's 80th birthday, and closed with "Never Again."

A Jewish friend sent me a message, saying I was too optimistic.

It's not optimism. When I say "never again," it's not a prayer -- it's a warning.

European Jews had a shtetl mentality.<sup><a href="#FOOTNOTE-1">1</a></sup> Unfortunately, a lot of American Jews do, too. Israeli Jews, largely, don't.

And neither do I. If they should come with the cattle cars, they won't find all sheep: there will be some sheepdogs<sup><a href="#FOOTNOTE-2">2</a></sup> in the herd. Fuzzy and gentle, like sheep, but with teeth and claws, too, and the willingness to use them.

Read about the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising.<sup><a href="#FOOTNOTE-3">3</a></sup> That's what a small group of utterly unprepared Jews did. Well, we aim to be better prepared, which may go a long way to prevent the next time from even happening.

Do you know why the Japanese never invaded the U.S. mainland during World War II? As admiral Yamamoto famously said "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a man with a rifle behind every blade of grass."

Well, the same goes for the Buford Furrows, the James von Brunns, and the Mahmoud Ahmadinejads of the world. Don't try it -- there'll be an armed Jew behind at least some of those blades of grass, and we won't come quietly again.

Happy Birthday, Anne. Never again.

<br clear="all">
<hr>
1 <a name="FOOTNOTE-1"></a> http://www.forward.com/articles/12985/
2 <a name="FOOTNOTE-2"></a> http://www.gleamingedge.com/mirrors/ons ... pdogs.html
3 <a name="FOOTNOTE-3"></a> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw_Ghetto_Uprising

Photos by <a href="http://www.olegvolk.net">Oleg</a> <a href="http://www.a-human-right.com">Volk</a>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

Wow. I was just there less than a month ago.

Yup, metal detectors to get in there. Also metal detectors to get into the cafe right next to it. Just something I found odd, when we went into the museum we were informed that my friend can't have her apple juice in there for "security reasons." My other friend's water was okay. :roll: Alrighty then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

kecker wrote:
Moby Clarke wrote:

Hmmm, you might be right. But the only way to find out is to try.

You start with the Department of Agriculture, I'll start with Health and Human Services.

The EPA would shut ya down because of massive pollution. :P

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

AGoodDay wrote:
Yup, metal detectors to get in there. Also metal detectors to get into the cafe right next to it.

But somehow an 88 year old man managed to get a rifle in and they held the friggin' door open for him?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
AGoodDay wrote:
Yup, metal detectors to get in there. Also metal detectors to get into the cafe right next to it.

But somehow an 88 year old man managed to get a rifle in and they held the friggin' door open for him?

The metal detectors are about 20 feet inside the doors. From the sounds of it he came in shooting. Although if I remember right the entire front is clear glass so they should have been able to see him coming...although they were probably busy dealing with visitors.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.