Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:45 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Shooting glasses + prescription lens 
 Post subject: Shooting glasses + prescription lens
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:01 pm 
Journeyman Member

I find myself in need of a set of safety/shooting glasses but I wear prescription glasses.
I think I want a set that has inserts behind the lenses, but I'm not sure.
So you other guys that need prescription glasses, what do you have that works & does not work.

Dorian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:25 am 
Longtime Regular

My favorite glasses so far were similar to these, though I got mine at Sam's Club. Mine were blended bifocal "computer glasses", where the lower part of the lens is for close reading, and the upper part is focused at a bit beyond arms' length. So they were no good for distance, but just right for pistol sights. They were good for looking at the big monitors at work -- no tipping the head back like you see folks with regular bifocals doing. I clip on the dorky looking side shields to go shooting. (Especially nice when the guy shooting on your left is hosing you down with brass.)

I'm bummed that I lost them. This year so far, I'm wearing non-prescription shooting glasses and learning to shoot with my left eye.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:03 am 

Walmart prescription safety glasses with sideshields $60

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:40 am 
Longtime Regular

I got a set of "Rec Specs" at Sam's -- $50 or so for prescription. The strap in place of rigid earpieces means that it fits comfortably under shooting muffs.

The cool thing is that new prescription lenses are only $20, so getting them scratched up isn't a huge deal.

Yes, they come in black.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:24 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
I got a set of "Rec Specs" at Sam's -- $50 or so for prescription. The strap in place of rigid earpieces means that it fits comfortably under shooting muffs.

The cool thing is that new prescription lenses are only $20, so getting them scratched up isn't a huge deal.

Yes, they come in black.

I was wondering what you were wearing the last few times at the range!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:25 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:

Yes, they come in black.

Andrew, do you know if you can get these in bifocal lenses too? Also by "Sams" do you mean Sams Club?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:02 pm 

I bought some of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ESS-ICE-2-4-BALLIST ... .m20.l1116

BIG waste of money. They didn't stay planted on my face and the RX inserts didn't set at the right focal length so I could only see clearly in them if I pressed them tight to my face. Since they rode down so much, I used them like twice. I just ended up using my regular glasses as my safety glasses at the range. They are poly lenses and wrap around my eyes better than most glasses. No one has ever given me a hard time about them. The Rec Specs looks like a good deal though. I wouldn't buy anything you needed to put an insert into. Inserts are nothing but problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:48 pm 
1911 tainted

I got these earlier this year, so far so good.
http://www.aearo.com/aosafetysrx.com/fr ... ame_id=134

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:39 pm 

My biggest problem (besides that I couldn't see very well) using the inserts was cleaning the glasses. The inserts had to come off, clean the glasses, clean the inserts, then re-install the insert, and then clean again to get the finger prints off from re-installing the insert. Royal PITA, IMO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:07 pm 
1911 tainted

nitzer wrote:
My biggest problem (besides that I couldn't see very well) using the inserts was cleaning the glasses. The inserts had to come off, clean the glasses, clean the inserts, then re-install the insert, and then clean again to get the finger prints off from re-installing the insert. Royal PITA, IMO

True, but I have found that you cannot get a wrap around style in prescription glass. If you do, they do not wrap enough for protection to fit my needs and because of the curve of the lenses, there tends to be a lot of distortion.The distortion is very distracting to me when moving and shooting around things, so I will take the PITA cleaning problem. 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:07 pm 
Journeyman Member

Thanks guys.

Dorian

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

havegunjoe wrote:
Andrew, do you know if you can get these in bifocal lenses too? Also by "Sams" do you mean Sams Club?

I did mean Sam's Club. I think they do come in bifocals, but I don't need those, so I didn't ask. The number for the optical department in St. Louis Park is 952-926-1775. I just ordered the same glasses, this time with polarized lenses (for outdoor shooting). The total was $114.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.