Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:50 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Safes and Handgun Storage 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:38 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
On the other hand, I wouldn't use an electronic lock box in the car; it gets mighty cold around here, and batteries don't like the cold.
I would, but I would wire it to the car's electrical system. Depending on your car, somehtin like this can actually fit under the seat:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/s ... x?a=408030

Currently I don't use a car safe because both my station wagons have a built in hidden lockable compartment. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:13 am 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
On the other hand, I wouldn't use an electronic lock box in the car; it gets mighty cold around here, and batteries don't like the cold...

If you use lithium batteries you should be okay. They're one of the few batteries that'll actually function in arctic conditions. Although you need to change them out on a regular basis, they've function well in non-insulated weather stations for me.

In a big country dreams stay with you, like a lover's voice fires the mountainside. Stay alive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:40 pm 
1911 tainted

Andrew Rothman wrote:
One question, though: Did your carry class cover storage options?

If he took my class, storage and children got touch on for about one minute. I also touch on keeping your carry gun clean because of Minnesota cold temps. I do not present storage options or how to clean their handgun, my carry class is a permit to carry class and not an introduction to firearms.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:01 pm 

I took the conceal & carry at Bills.

I hadn't done as much of this research prior to taking the class and didn't think to ask these questions (plus, they didn't teach a lot of the practical application of CCW).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

It is always interesting to me, as an instructor, to see what other instructors teach.

I think that since it's a class about carrying a loaded gun around, the issue of what to do with it when you get home is one worth some class time. YMMV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

Bear in mind, your wife will be considered to have 'constructive' (?) access to your lockbox if it is a combination lock.

If you have a gun locked away and leave it with your wife then she is in possesion of the firearm and may be violating a law.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

Maverick68 wrote:
I took the conceal & carry at Bills...

...plus, they didn't teach a lot of the practical application of CCW).

Did they mention that the law is silent on concealment -- that it's actually a "carry permit," not a CCW?

Just curious. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:09 pm 

I was at Bill's West this afternoon. Believe it or not, they still call it a "Conceal and Carry" class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:12 am 

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
Bear in mind, your wife will be considered to have 'constructive' (?) access to your lockbox if it is a combination lock.

If you have a gun locked away and leave it with your wife then she is in possesion of the firearm and may be violating a law.

It is my experience that the success stories at aware.org are highly effective in convincing women that they are best served by getting their own permit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:19 am 
1911 tainted

djeepp wrote:
I was at Bill's West this afternoon. Believe it or not, they still call it a "Conceal and Carry" class.

When an instructor calls it a Minnesota CCW class, I always wonder what else they are teaching wrong. :?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

cobb wrote:
djeepp wrote:

When an instructor calls it a Minnesota CCW class, I always wonder what else they are teaching wrong. :?

When I hear it called CCW I just stop listening. If they can't get the basics right, they aren't going to get the rest right either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:17 pm 

Maverick68 wrote:
I took the conceal & carry at Bills.

I hadn't done as much of this research prior to taking the class and didn't think to ask these questions (plus, they didn't teach a lot of the practical application of CCW).

Interesting, i took mine at Bill's north - there was discussion about storage - particularly car storage and in-home storage.

b

Post subject: Re: Safes and Handgun Storage
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:40 pm 

The class was taught by a very competent, burly Police swat guy. I don't remember if he referred to it as conceal & carry or just carry permit.

I didn't know what to expect going in, but in retrospect, I wished there was more discussion about "what if...shoot/no shoot" type discussions. We had some, but they were mostly based around actual events (shootings) around the country.

I don't understand this comment:
SultanOfBrunei wrote:
If you have a gun locked away and leave it with your wife then she is in possession of the firearm and may be violating a law.

Post subject: Re: Safes and Handgun Storage
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:44 pm 

Slight tangent on this storage question...

Other than putting the handgun in the locked box when you go into work (if you don't carry at work), how often would you say you need to remove your weapon and lock it away in your car prior to entering somewhere. This could be either for legal or for personal/appearance reasons.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:22 pm 
The Man

cobb wrote:
djeepp wrote:

Far as I can tell, at least three other thing, around posting, schools, and concealment. Probably more, but that's all I've ever been able to verify.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.