Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:40 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 More ammo shortages? 
 Post subject: More ammo shortages?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_12584779?source=rv
Nasty crash in Utah. One dead and one injured.
Fedex truck was loaded with ammo.
Quote:

One dead, one critical in fiery crash that sets off ammunition
I-80 » Head-on collision sets off ammunition in truck.
By Lindsay Whitehurst
The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 06/14/2009 08:42:36 AM MDT

A fiery crash on Interstate 80 near the Tooele County-Salt Lake County line killed one person, critically injured another and closed the highway for hours on Saturday, police said.
The victim has been identified as Mark Neilson of Magna, said Utah Highway Patrol spokesman Cameron Roden. Neilson's age was not available.
The crash happened at about 11 a.m. when an eastbound Dodge Dakota driven by Neilson crossed the median and hit a westbound FedEx triple-semitrailer head-on, said Roden. Part of the truck was loaded with ammunition.
The collision started a fire that engulfed the SUV and part of the semi, and some of the ammunition went off as emergency crews worked to clean up the crash, he said.

Authorities closed the interstate, but opened one eastbound lane and one westbound lane at about 3 p.m., Roden said.
Troopers believe Neilson's SUV was cut off by a pickup truck, described only as dirty and white, that did not stop at the scene, Roden said. The SUV crossed the median through a turn-off gap in a cable barrier.
UHP is looking to speak to the driver of the pickup truck, Roden said.
Neilson was burned beyond recognition in the accident, Roden said. The semi driver was flown to University Hospital in critical condition.
State Road 201 also was closed on the westbound side for several hours, the Utah Department of Transportation reported.
Traffic was backed up for more than a mile, and drivers were turned back because of the closure.
lwhitehurst@sltrib.com

Post subject: Re: More ammo shortages?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

I really dislike those triple trailer semi's.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:17 pm 

DeanC wrote:
I really dislike those triple trailer semi's.

I don't think they're even allowed here, am I right? I think we're limited to two trailers, and that's only on special roads?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:37 pm 

Q_Continuum wrote:
I don't think they're even allowed here, am I right? I think we're limited to two trailers, and that's only on special roads?

They have to be allowed because of interstate transportation laws. If you're a Class A driver in Minnesota you need an extra endorsement to drive them though. So that's why you probably don't see as many.

In a big country dreams stay with you, like a lover's voice fires the mountainside. Stay alive.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:49 am 
Longtime Regular

gyrfalcon wrote:
Q_Continuum wrote:

They have to be allowed because of interstate transportation laws. If you're a Class A driver in Minnesota you need an extra endorsement to drive them though. So that's why you probably don't see as many.

In Iowa its a matter of Bridge Laws and wheel bases which more or less outlaw triple trailers. At least it was when I got my CDL 9 years ago. I thought MN was the same, I've not seen any more than a double in the past few years.

Didn't get into MN rules much when I transfered the CDL up here. As it is, a semi has enough trouble coming to a fast stop with one trailer, let alone three. The little phenomenon known as jack-knifing can't be real pretty with three spots that can pivot either.

The less densely populated states often times seem to allow them though. I know in Australia they have "road-trains" which get to be pretty crazy lengths and weights. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_train

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:10 am 
Longtime Regular

EJSG19 wrote:
In Iowa its a matter of Bridge Laws and wheel bases which more or less outlaw triple trailers. At least it was when I got my CDL 9 years ago. I thought MN was the same, I've not seen any more than a double in the past few years.

I have never seen a state with as many scary bridges as Iowa.

Back when I was driving straight trucks for sound gigs, I used to regularly have to detour 10-20 miles after running into an old bridge that scared the hell out of me. :shock:

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

The ammo lost in this wreck and fire, probably amounted to 1-6 pallets. FedEx is a major LTL carrier (LTL= Less than Truck Load). Meaning they usually only haul freight that does not equal enough to fill the average semi trailer (takes 24-26 pallets of freight). Just because the article said it was 'loaded' with ammo (had some ammo on board), doesn't mean it was FULLY 'loaded' with ammo. :wink:

Anyways, here's why you only see FedEx, UPS, Con-Way and a few other LTL company trucks with 2 or 3 'pups' (28' trailers), on 'certain roads'. Out in some western states, you may see what's commonly known as 'Rockie Mountain Doubles' which is one 28' trailer and one 48' trailer or two 48' trailers being pulled by one tractor.
Quote:
(d) No State may enact or enforce any law denying access within 1 road-mile from the National Network using the most reasonable and practicable route available except for specific safety reasons on individual routes.

From here: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulati ... 348008ee2f

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:17 pm 

Then again, in Mexico you see them pulling fully loaded 48' double gasoline tankers through the mountains, since they don't have the 80,000 pound limit. Funny thing is that the sun still rises and sets even though many people in the U.S. would think that sort of thing would make it stop.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.