Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:43 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Legality of collapsable stock for shotgun? 
 Post subject: Legality of collapsable stock for shotgun?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:39 pm 

Hello all,

I am looking to convert my Remington 870 express into a more tactical/home defense shotgun, so I have ordered a bunch of goodies for it, including a shorter barrel, extended magazine, and a collapsable, M4 style stock and forend. Now the vendor tells me that they cannot ship this to MN because it is collapsable, which sounds like a bunch of BS to me. I can get it shipped to my brother in Fargo, but my question is this: Is this somehow unlawful to posses in MN? Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Kevin

Post subject: Re: Legality of collapsable stock for shotgun?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

That is Bovine Shinola. You don't even need to have a stock if you don't effin want one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

Find a different vendor. You can walk into any gun store around here and buy a shotgun with a collapsable stock (or as Dean said, no stock for that matter).

For good measure, send the vendor pictures from the local gun stores of 870s with collapsable stocks when you tell him why he didn't get your order. Yeah, I'm just mean sometimes. 8)

ETA - For even better measure, post who the vendor is so that the rest of us don't waste our time. Ok, so I'm REALLY mean sometimes.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:40 pm 

Just as I figured! The stock I (tried to) purchase was from (don't laugh) http://www.manventureoutpost.com Thought they looked a little fishy, but they had great seller ratings from google.

They had the best price on the stock I was looking for, a 6 position M-4 style stock for the old 870. I ordered on late Friday night, and never got a shipping confirmation, so I emailed them last night. They responded today that they had tried to get ahold of me and tell me that they cannot ship this item to MN. Could have bought the same damn thing off amazon for ten bucks more and had it by now! Thanks again for the help!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

rusty shackleford wrote:
The stock I (tried to) purchase was from (don't laugh) http://www.manventureoutpost.com

Oh LMFAO! I am *so* laughing with you and at you.

I don't know if I could bear having that name on my credit card bill. Worse - getting catalogs from them in the mail.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:36 am 

rusty shackleford wrote:
Just as I figured! The stock I (tried to) purchase was from (don't laugh) http://www.manventureoutpost.com Thought they looked a little fishy, but they had great seller ratings from google.

If their price is so sweet you might consider sending them another amicable e-mail, informing them of their error, and a few pics of local shops wouldn't hurt either. A lot of people in business for themselves, especially hopelessly stupid people appreciate free advice and sometimes once is enough for them to change the way they do things, in this case their research. An e-mail is free, and they might have other goodies in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:56 am 

What blatant stupidity. You'd think they'd want every sale they can get and that they would at least check into the legality of it to find out for sure before denying the sale. When you do finally make a purchase from another vendor, be sure to send them a copy of the receipt showing it shipped to your address so they'll know their stupidity cost them a sale.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:48 am 

After some run-around, got the order cancelled. I just don't understand the whole thing to be honest. You would think that a company would try everything they could to make sales right now, but I guess not. Might be a good thing, because I was a little hesitant of the quality of that stock anyway. Probably going to get a knox recoil reducing adjustable now. Seem to get better reviews. Thanks for the help, as always!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:45 am 
In the time out chair

This coming from a noob take it for what it's worth.

I see no use for all the gadgets on a shotgun except for a tube extension.

Adjustable stocks have really only two uses. Making use from a vehicle easier(including egress and exit) and fitting the weapon to a user wearing body armor. Oh they are also used to transfer your hard earned dollars into someone elses wallet.

A 12 gauge really doesn't kick that hard with most loads. Spend the money on shooting not gadgets.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:51 am 
Longtime Regular

That's actually pretty much on the mark.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:26 pm 

From a noob ( I really hate that term) or not, that is damn good advice! And after all this, I do believe I am going to take it. Anyway I have better things to spend money on coming any day, now that we are past the 40 week mark!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

Sweet! Congrats. Right behind you.

On the shotgun thing, as cool as they look, I'd stick to a full stock for home defense. Room clearing isn't on my agenda & at HD ranges there really isn't much spread in the pellets. .. accuracy counts and a collapsing stock doesn't buy me any I don't get with a full stock.

Why does the store name "Man Adventure Outpost" make me think prolapsed colon or the nazi guy from Falling Down Image?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

Macx wrote:
Why does the store name "Man Adventure Outpost" make me think prolapsed colon or the nazi guy from Falling Down Image?

Right about there was the turning point of the movie for me... It was right at that point (or, arguably, after he whacked the Neo-Nazi) that he crossed a line.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

Blued Steel wrote:
Adjustable stocks have really only two uses. Making use from a vehicle easier(including egress and exit) and fitting the weapon to a user wearing body armor.

Not so. Perhaps not everyone in the household has the same build; an adjustable stock may mean that his smaller-statured better half can also use it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:38 pm 
In the time out chair

IN my mind, too many gadgets, either get her one of her own, or just cut the one down to fit her, Its easy to use a one inch or so shorter stock. A five foot person can handle a 870 with a youth stock, as can a 6.5 footer.

In the crash of the night, fumbling with an adjustable stock does not seem like a good idea, If you need it, it should be already pointed at the threat, not while you try to see which adjustment slot the latch is in.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.