Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:42 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 A Wedding Day Purchase 
 Post subject: A Wedding Day Purchase
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:48 am 
Longtime Regular

A man does not generally manage to forget his wedding-day; especially such a highly comic wedding-day as mine. For the family remembers against me a number of now familiar legends, about the missing of trains, the losing of luggage, and other things counted yet more eccentric. It is alleged against me, and with perfect truth, that I stopped on the way to drink a glass of milk in one shop and to buy a revolver with cartridges in another. Some have seen these as singular wedding-presents for a bridegroom to give to himself, and if the bride had known less of him, I suppose she might have fancied that he was a suicide or a murderer or, worst of all, a teetotaller. They seemed to me the most natural things in the world. I did not buy the pistol to murder myself - or my wife; I never was really modern. I bought it because it was the great adventure of my youth, with a general notion of protecting her from the pirates doubtless infesting the Norfolk Broads, to which we were bound; where, after all, there are still a suspiciously large number of families with Danish names. I shall not be annoyed if it is called childish; but obviously it was rather a reminiscence of boyhood, and not of childhood. But the ritual consumption of the glass of milk really was a reminiscence of childhood. I stopped at that particular dairy because I had always drunk a glass of milk there when walking with my mother in my infancy. And it seemed to me a fitting ceremonial to unite the two great relations of a man's life.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: A Wedding Day Purchase
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

Ha, I like that.

So you made me look up G.K. Chesterton, and I immediately found a new favorite saying:
Quote:
The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Chesterton is awesome. He's as big a sourpuss as Mencken, maybe smarter, certainly more virtuous.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:33 pm 

I recall reading in a book ('Common Sense 101')that Chesterton also carried a large folding knife (to clean his fingernails with) and his trademark swordcane (only to stab at pillows with, mind you).
I wonder if anyone knows what make of revolver he owned.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

JustMe wrote:
I wonder if anyone knows what make of revolver he owned.

I have been working on that very question. The President of the American Chesterton Society lives here in town and is a friend of mine.

My first guess is a Webley of some make, possibly the he Webley Pocket Pistol No 3. His writings indicate he carried it in his pocket. He was married in 1901, so maybe he bought one of the brand new Webley Pocket Hammerless Revolvers.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.