Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:38 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Moorhead MN: Intruder Shot and Killed by Resident 
 Post subject: Moorhead MN: Intruder Shot and Killed by Resident
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:41 pm 

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article ... 6&catid=14

Quote:
Police say a Moorhead man shot and killed an intruder who walked into his unlocked apartment.

Lt. Tory Jacobson says the resident confronted the man and yelled at him to leave. He says when he didn't leave, a fight ensued. The resident then allegedly got his shotgun, which went off during a struggle.

The resident called police around 12:05 a.m Saturday. The injured man was transported to Innovis Health in Fargo, N.D. where he died.

Jacobson says the same man had walked into another unlocked apartment in the four-plex minutes before, but a woman scared him off. Police are trying to identify the deceased male.

Police detained the apartment resident for questioning.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/244383/

Quote:
MOORHEAD – Police have identified a 17-year-old Moorhead male shot and killed by a resident who encountered the teen intruder in his apartment early this morning.

Vernon Albert Allen wasn’t charged with a crime after being detained by police for questioning since early this morning, Moorhead Police Lt. Tory Jacobson said in a news release about 4 p.m.

“After careful consideration and consultation with the Clay County Attorney’s Office, Mr. Allen is no longer being detained and there are no criminal charges pending against him,” Jacobson said.

“Mr. Allen has been cooperative with the investigation and has the right to return home at this time after a very disturbing critical incident,” he said later.

Allen shot and killed the teen at 12:06 a.m. today after the male entered his upstairs apartment at 1103 19th St. S. in Moorhead. Allen yelled at the teen to leave and when he didn’t, a physical fight broke out, according to police. Allen then grabbed his shotgun and the intruder was shot in the chest or abdomen during a struggle.

Police today asked for assistance in identifying the deceased teen, who was transported to the Ramsey County Medical Examiner Office for examination.

Jacobson said police are withholding the teen's identity pending notification of his family.

Police and witnesses say the teen who was shot had first entered an unlocked downstairs apartment in the four-plex, where resident Sara Graham scared him away.

Graham said in an interview late Saturday morning that she didn’t know who he was and told him to get out.

After he left without incident, Graham said she ran out her apartment building and down the driveway, thinking she was chasing after him.

Then she heard a bang.

Going back to her apartment, Graham met the intruder again going into her apartment a second time. He then made his way into her daughters’ unoccupied bedroom where he collapsed, she said. He was bleeding from a gunshot wound to his chest and wailing uncontrollably, Graham said.

“There’s nothing like the sound of a grown man when he cries when he’s been shot,” Graham said.

Graham said her two daughters, ages 11 and 8, were at their grandmother’s house Saturday.

At the same time Graham was following the intruder into her own apartment, her upstairs neighbor, Allen, called 911 to say he had shot an intruder in his apartment.

The teen who was shot received medical attention at the apartment, police said, and was transported to Innovis Health in Fargo, where he died.

Allen told police that the intruder was intoxicated.

Late this morning, a man sitting outside 1107 19th St. S., the neighboring apartment complex, who identified himself as David Allen, Vernon Albert Allen’s brother said his brother must have been protecting himself.

“Knowing my brother it had to be self-defense,” David Allen said. “He’s the caretaker (for the apartment building). When something happens, he calls the cops and gets them involved.”

He added that he’d been in his brother’s apartment after the shooting and that it appeared there was a struggle. He said there was blood in the apartment. Neighbors said the street and the two apartment buildings that share a parking lot were cordoned off with police tape in the early morning hours after the shooting. Late Saturday morning drops of blood dotted the carpeted stairway from the upstairs apartment down to Graham’s apartment.

According to public records, Vernon A. Allen, 47, previously lived in Buffalo, N.D., and Fargo.

Post subject: Re: Moorhead MN: Intruder Shot and Killed by Resident
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm pretty pissed off that the victim (Allen) was named in the story. Standard journalistic ethics include not naming victims, nor people who have NOT been charged with a crime. The Fargo Forum should be ashamed.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:10 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
I'm pretty pissed off that the victim (Allen) was named in the story. Standard journalistic ethics include not naming victims, nor people who have NOT been charged with a crime. The Fargo Forum should be ashamed.

I certainly agree...and not only did they name the victim, they had to see what else could be dug up on him (it seems obvious that there wasn't much to find):
Fargo Forum wrote:
According to public records, Vernon A. Allen, 47, previously lived in Buffalo, N.D., and Fargo.
:?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:11 pm 

You just have to love how the media try to dig up past information (dirt) on anybody involved in a self defense shooting.

I'm glad everything turned out well for the resident but I also hope he learns to lock his doors. It prevents the undetermined intruder and gives you some time when the intruder is determined to get in.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:42 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:

Agreed.

It's apparently just fine to release his name because he used a gun to successfully defend himself. Complete crap.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:22 am 
Longtime Regular

A locked door would of saved a life. Sad

Also don't forget Alcohol got him killed. I wish we could eliminate booze forever!!

Last edited by JimC on Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:29 am 
Longtime Regular

JimC wrote:

Yup, gotta agree here.

I know some folks live by that "we can keep our doors unlocked" mantra, but it just doesn't work these days. :cry:

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:06 am 
Longtime Regular

JimC wrote:

Not walking through an unlocked door that didn't belong to him and then refusing to leave would have saved his life too...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:07 am 
Longtime Regular

ironbear wrote:
JimC wrote:

Not walking through an unlocked door that didn't belong to him and then refusing to leave would have saved his life too...

Oh, without a doubt. I'm not blaming the resident in the least.

But Jim's observation does make a point...we aren't living in Mayberry.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

JimC wrote:
A locked door would of saved a life.

More correctly and relevantly, a locked door may have saved the homeowner a lot of trouble, attention, expense and mental anguish.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:47 am 
Raving Moderate

JimC wrote:
Also don't forget Alcohol got him killed. I wish we could eliminate booze forever!!

Me, I wish we could eliminate sanctimonious anti-alcohol crusaders. They're about as annoying as anti-gun, anti-smoking (and I'm a lifelong non-smoker, BTW), and anti-car crusaders.

For the love of [INSERT NAME OF FAVORITE DEITY HERE], give it a rest.

ETA: None of the foregoing was said with my mod hat on. My personal opinion only, not the views of the management, yadda, yadda, yadda.

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.