Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:57 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Guns, ammo supplies ease a bit. Time to git mo. 
 Post subject: Guns, ammo supplies ease a bit. Time to git mo.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:54 am 
Wise Elder

From John Farnam:

Quote:
1 July 09

Comments on current developments, from an active consumer and Instructor:

"I am starting to see the feeding-frenzy subside, albeit only slightly.

Inventories of military rifles and serious handguns are improving. There are actually ARs, SIG 556s, XCRs, FALs, M1As and other good rifles, along with SIG, Glock, SA, Kahr, S&W, Beretta, and other serious handguns on shelves of gun stores. However, the best are usually still gone within a day or two of arriving.

Ammunition continues to be tight, but supplies of 223, 9mm, and 40S&W are starting to fill the pipeline. Last week, I was actually able to order (and receive) a case each of 9mm and 40S&W. I have the best luck with big internet retailers by putting my name on an e-mail 'product-notification list.' Supplies still sell-out fast, but it does improve one's chances!

For the hand-loader, brass, bullets, and powder are still tight, but supplies are improving over a few months ago. However, primers are still unavailable.

I have doubts with regard to how long this current intermission will last. The next high-profile terrorist event will predictably kick it back up to where it was, or worse.

My advice is to get what you can, now! Don't wait for better prices. And, don't just buy by the case. Don't hesitate to scarf-up several boxes, when that is all that is available."

Comment: The thin, mostly imaginary, veneer we laughingly call "Civilization" is wearing ever thinner by the day!

Foolish, indeed naive, optimization that surrounded the current Administration is rapidly evaporating, as reality, desperately ignored by the media, keeps rearing its ugly head!

"Printing our way to prosperity" is failing, as all but idiots knew it would.

I'm afraid there is precious little about which to be optimistic. Only the stupid and willfully blind are failing to prepare!

/John

(Notes by DUF: I believe that I have commented before that one of the best things to come out of the current scarcity is a wider realization of the need to maintain a stockpile of ammunition and reloading components. I have slowly been making my way through Stephen Halbrook’s The Founders’ Second Amendment. I was particularly impressed by how much easier it was for General Gage to seize gunpowder from community batteries and for Britain to ban the export of gunpowder to the colonies than to try to scour the countryside to seize firearms from the colonists.)

Post subject: Re: Guns, ammo supplies ease a bit. Time to git mo.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well this is entirely a self-induced shortage, so it's within our power to end it. As long as my stockpiles are holding I'm gonna hold off as much as possible.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:11 pm 

I have been able to get 9mm at the local Wal-Mart by us. Twice last week I purchased all they had, which totaled 250 rds. The second time they had four boxes of Blazer Brass, the first time I have ever seen them stock that brand.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:22 am 

My closest Wal-Mart had 9mm, 38 spcl, 40 S&W, 44 mag and 45 ACP in stock last night...all WWB. Still no bulk packs of .22 for my P22 and my son's rifle......

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:49 am 
Journeyman Member

Smurf wrote:
My closest Wal-Mart had 9mm, 38 spcl, 40 S&W, 44 mag and 45 ACP in stock last night...all WWB. Still no bulk packs of .22 for my P22 and my son's rifle......

My closest Wal-Mart had 9mm, 38 spcl, 40 S&W, 45 ACP and .223 in stock this week...all Federal!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:17 pm 
Journeyman Member

Smurf wrote:

Dicks and Gander mountain both had .22 bricks last week, Dicks in Coon Rapids, Gander Blaine.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:50 am 

Gitmo?? I know ammo is in tight demand, but going all the way to Cuba to buy ammo?? That's a big gas bill!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:44 pm 
Journeyman Member

I haven't been shooting in months due to the unavailability of ammo. It'll be nice when this eases a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:51 am 

Both of my local wallyworlds have been getting semi-regular shipments. Lately, I've been able to pick up all the .45 and 38 that I want. And i want alot. :lol:

To expect bad men not to do wrong is madness, for he who expects this desires an impossiblity. But to allow men to behave so to others and expect them not to do thee any wrong is irrational and tyranical. Marcus Aurelius

I won't mind if you call me a racist. And I'm sure YOU won't mind if I call you a target of opportunity.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

The people who lived through the great depression - for the rest of their lives kept well stocked pantries. I think the people who lived through the first 'Obama Ammo Shortage' will maintain a good pantry of ammo for the rest of their lives. Lessons learned that can't be forgotten.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:27 pm 
Raving Moderate

The worst part of the ammo shortage/price gouging is that it's entirely self-inflicted. A lot of gun owners, sure Obama was coming to take their guns the day after the inauguration, drove the supply down and the price WAY up. And what was gained? Diddly-squat. Instead of folks calmly buying an extra box of ammo when they went to the shop, they bought everything they could get, just incase the Oboogeyman came to take it all. And they paid (and are paying) top dollar for the privilege. Talk about nutso.

The reality- Obama's not the ultra-liberal some right-wing conspiracists have told us (and some ultra-liberals were hoping for). Even if he was, the government doesn't do ANYTHING that quickly. So, what have we gotten from the great Obama Ammunition Panic of 2009? Again- Diddly-squat.

"Paranoia strikes deep. Into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid..."

I heard that somewhere... :wink:

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:27 am 
Longtime Regular

Jeremiah wrote:
The reality- Obama's not the ultra-liberal some right-wing conspiracists have told us (and some ultra-liberals were hoping for).

Of course he is. He lied when he said "I don't want to take away your guns," but told the truth when he said, "I couldn't get the votes."

He is a politician, and recognized the political reality that he can't do it all at once, but must do it in dribs and drabs. I expect that to continue.

I think that the nationwide stocking up on ammo is an entirely rational reaction to the change in government.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:34 pm 

Just wait until the 2010 elections- if we can get some real Americans in office (Republican or Democrat), we might have a chance. If not, I'd expect things to get a lot worse. :( With a very few notable exceptions, no one in Washington seems to have a spine right now.

"There are good men and bad men of all nationalities, creeds and colors; and if this world of ours is ever to become what we hope some day it may become, it must be by the general recognition that the man's heart and soul, the man's worth and actions, determine his standing."
-Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:03 pm 
Journeyman Member

lance22 wrote:
The people who lived through the great depression - for the rest of their lives kept well stocked pantries. I think the people who lived through the first 'Obama Ammo Shortage' will maintain a good pantry of ammo for the rest of their lives. Lessons learned that can't be forgotten.

I think you're right there, at least in my case. I'm sitting on 400 rounds, and I wish it were 4,000.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.