Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 People who go through class but don't get permit? 
 Post subject: Re: People who go through class but don't get permit?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:20 pm 

Erik_Pakieser wrote:
One demographic I encourage to take the carry class is the person who does not carry, but still keeps a gun in the home for self-defense. There are +/- 62,000 carry permit holders in MN, but probably 90% of the population has a shotgun they keep for repelling boarders. To be blunt, those people need this training too, because they need to know about the legal nuances of self-defense.

And while I'm at it...they should learn how to use that shotgun for self defense as well :lol:

+1000

I have a friend who I introduced to shooting. He then goes and buys a really sweet Colt sporter (w/ 2 uppers) from a friend who needed the money. He then wants a HD shotgun. I went with him and he ended up with a Remington Mariner. All the time I'm preaching training, training, training. He, his girlfriend and I took a shotgun for self defense class together. Now he wants an S&W Model 66 4" or 6" (He really wants a 1911, but I'm telling him to wait a bit). I'm telling him take the permit to carry class. He balks since he's never going to carryl. :bang: I say it's because he needs to know the law.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:54 pm 

I'll be taking the class in the near future and will get the permit but will likely never carry. I'll be taking the class primarily to learn more and to be a more responsible handgun owner. I'll get the permit simply to avoid the annual permit issue and to be able to carry if I ever decide to in the future.

Travis

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:01 pm 
1911 tainted

Just had a renewal this weekend and they never carried yet under their Minnesota permit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:32 pm 

I'm still in the process of learning about handguns, as I know very little as it is. I suspect that even if I were to successfully go through formal training, I wouldn't necessarily carry -- it is too much of a responsibility for me to have on a daily basis, especially when I don't have enough compelling reasons to do so. It's mainly the education that I'm interested in. And I do think that self-defense will be more an issue in the future.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:14 pm 
1911 tainted

thomprecision wrote:
I suspect that even if I were to successfully go through formal training, I wouldn't necessarily carry -- it is too much of a responsibility for me to have on a daily basis, especially when I don't have enough compelling reasons to do so.

Please take this in the right spirit, I am not trying to make an issue out of this, but maybe something to think about. You say that you do not have enough compelling reasons to do so, I assume you mean carry. So with that thought, I assume you do not have any compelling reasons to have fire extinguishers in your home because of it's structural design? Since you drive more safe roadways, no trucks that carry metal drive the roads you drive, there is no need what so ever to carry a jack and spare tire? How about during the Minnesota winter, no compelling reason to have a shovel and maybe some warm cloths and boots in the car, you only travel during the nice winter days in Minnesota. I guess I can throw out a few other compelling reasons why a person wouldn't carry necessary safety items, like life jackets in a boat because you only go boating during calm weather, so no compelling reason to carry life jackets, they take up room in a boat.

Just something to think about.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.