Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 People who go through class but don't get permit? 
 Post subject: People who go through class but don't get permit?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:23 pm 

I was thinking back to a conversation I had with my brother (we took our class together). We were talking about the responsibility and all the implications involved in deciding to carry a firearm. We got to wondering how many people decide they want to carry and maybe go as far as taking the class or maybe even go so far as even getting their permit but then decide they don't want to carry after all. Has anyone heard of anyone doing that? Personally, I can't say that I have but I have to wonder if it doesn't happen from time to time and if any of you have heard of this happening. Just wondering.

Post subject: Re: People who go through class but don't get permit?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:45 pm 
The Man

It's definitely happened.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

Absolutely, I know folks who have their permits but don't carry because they don't want the responsibility that comes along with it.

At the end of the day, between all the fun talk about steel shoots, IDPA, trigger jobs, finishes, loads...it's easy to forget that when we talk about carrying, we are ultimately talking about carrying a tool which when used in self defense could end the life of a human being.

That's a huge responsibility, from a practical, ethical, and maybe even spiritual point of view. A good carry class should lay that out on the table, IMHO.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:44 pm 

I know a number of folks - including a co-worker of mine - who have their permits primarily to get around the annual permit to purchase issue -- and use their carry permit as a 5 year permit to purchase..

So - they did take the class - did get the permit - and then never carry.
b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:45 pm 
1911 tainted

I have had a few go through my class tell me after the class that they decided not to get a permit to carry. Their reason, because they learned in class that they could get into trouble. :roll: I wonder if they ever thought about that when they got their drivers license?

I had a renewal a few months ago, went through my class the first time, got his permit and never, ever carried once. But was back for his renewal class to get his Minnesota permit for another 5 years. Would be interesting if he makes 10 years and never carries.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:15 am 

mrokern wrote:
Absolutely, I know folks who have their permits but don't carry because they don't want the responsibility that comes along with it.

At the end of the day, between all the fun talk about steel shoots, IDPA, trigger jobs, finishes, loads...it's easy to forget that when we talk about carrying, we are ultimately talking about carrying a tool which when used in self defense could end the life of a human being.

That's a huge responsibility, from a practical, ethical, and maybe even spiritual point of view. A good carry class should lay that out on the table, IMHO.

-Mark

Thanks everyone for the responses. I know that it must happen but I was just curious to what degree and for what reasons.

Mark, your above statement is so true. It is such a huge responsibility when you break it down to the fact that you may have to end someone's life, albeit to save your own. I don't know any people personally who have not gotten their permits after taking the class. However, I do know some who really wanted (and even pursued) getting their permits under the old law but once things changed and the 'forbidden fruit' type issue was no longer there, decided it was just not worth the effort, money, time, etc. I hadn't thought about the 'using it as a 5 year purchase permit' aspect before but I guess I can certainly see that. In thinking about it, I'm glad that some people were smart enough to realize at the end of the day that it wasn't a responsibility that they wanted to take on and didn't get their permit or don't carry. Thanks again for the responses.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:23 am 
Longtime Regular

I coerced my wife into taking plblark's carry class. He did a great job, and she enjoyed it, but I haven't been able to coerce her down to the Ramsey County Courthouse yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:31 am 
Longtime Regular

Baby steps, Mac. Baby steps.

re: not carrying, I have a neighbor who doesn't routinely carry. He got the permit for the 5 year purchase permit and for handgun hunting using an ATV.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:41 pm 

I just recently got mine and have been carrying as much as possible (I work a lot and go to school), I talked my dad into going to the class with me, he got his permit as well, but has not carried yet. He did finally get a holster though. I guess its just taking him longer to get in the mindset.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

My sister went through a class, but never applied for her permit. She didn't want the responsibility and figured that her husband usually carries.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:52 pm 

In almost every class I teach, I usually have one person who is on-the-fence after hearing about the legal and social responsibilities of carrying.

I don't help them decide, I just give them as much information as possible so they can make an informed decision. They have to decide for themselves.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:32 pm 

I originally took the permit class more out of curiousity than out of a desire to get a permit. I had purchased a Beretta 92FS earlier in the year to use for recreational shooting. A friend of mine invited me to a permit class that he had arranged with a local instructor. I took it because I was interested in finding out when and how I could use a gun in self defense.

I didn't apply for my permit until about 4 months later after doing more research on defensive gun use. It was about 6 months after that that I decided that I really did want to start carrying, so I found a more suitable pistol and have carried ever since.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:59 am 

I took my class in the fall (I think September) a few years ago. I didn't apply for and get my permit until after the New Year had rang in. (partially I'd forgotten, and it was an out-of-the-way-trip)

A relative of mine took his class but never applied for the permit - at the time his thinking was 'just another list for them to have you on.' Talked to him recently, and that thought was brought up again - I mentioned that at least legally, the list was separate from everything else, and they had to place a specific check on YOU to find it. He also later mentioned wishing he'd applied for the permit, as the class was over a year ago now. (All that work, for nuthin)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:44 am 
Longtime Regular

I have a friend with a P2C but doesnt own any guns. Another person I know has taken the class twice in 2 years but never gets around to doing the paperwork (nor does he own a handgun). My wife has her P2C but her 442 never leavs her car.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:50 am 

One demographic I encourage to take the carry class is the person who does not carry, but still keeps a gun in the home for self-defense. There are +/- 62,000 carry permit holders in MN, but probably 90% of the population has a shotgun they keep for repelling boarders. To be blunt, those people need this training too, because they need to know about the legal nuances of self-defense.

And while I'm at it...they should learn how to use that shotgun for self defense as well :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.