Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:50 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 How bad is wolf ammo? 
 Post subject: Re: How bad is wolf ammo?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:59 pm 
Forum Moderator

1919A4 likes Wolf .308 just fine.

I've fired lots of it through 9mm sub-guns just fine too!

It does seem that some guns don't like it, but a lot of the stories seem apocryphal!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:25 pm 
Journeyman Member

I've never understood the contempt that some people have for Wolf ammo, I think it is because it is cheap, steel-cased foreign ammo.

I've shot the old and new steel 7.62x39mm, thousands of rounds later and I have no issue with my SKS.
I've shot dozens of rounds of 9mm through my Sig P6 with no issues.
I've shot boxes and boxes of Wolf Gold .308, .303, and 7.5x55. It is accurate hunting ammo and the cases are good for reloading as the Gold line uses Boxer brass vs. Berdan steel-case for everything else.

Personally I'd prefer Silver Bear or Golden Tiger as they seem to be a bit more accurate in my SKS, but Wolf is still good for me and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than shooting Federal or Winchester x39.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:56 am 

I've shot quite a bit of Wolf, Silver/Brown/Gold Bear in pistols chambered in 9x18, 9x19, and .45, and the only problem I've ever had is after firing close to 300 rounds of Wolf in one day (and I had a couple of hundred rounds prior with only a quick "lick and a promise" cleaning), my RIA 1911 tactical started to have FTF issues--the chamber was pretty gunked up (and about 5 minutes with a brush & love potion #9 cleared the problem right up).

Buy it, shoot it, be happy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:35 pm 

singhcr wrote:
I've never understood the contempt that some people have for Wolf ammo, I think it is because it is cheap, steel-cased foreign ammo.

It's like people putting down the cheaper models of cars. They have to justify to themselves that they did better by buying the more expensive model. I see the same thing with Hi-Point firearms. (Haven't shot any myself, but from the posts I see on them, those that own them generally swear by them - especially the carbines. Sure, they're ugly as sin, but they go bang. That's the key. Plus they're dirt cheap!)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

Q_Continuum wrote:
singhcr wrote:

It's like people putting down the cheaper models of cars. They have to justify to themselves that they did better by buying the more expensive model. I see the same thing with Hi-Point firearms. (Haven't shot any myself, but from the posts I see on them, those that own them generally swear by them - especially the carbines. Sure, they're ugly as sin, but they go bang. That's the key. Plus they're dirt cheap!)

That is very well put, and spot on IMHO. Good job.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

Q_Continuum wrote:

Yes and no.

I had a Yugoslavian SKS that wouldn't eat Wolf ammo no matter what. Had the local gun shop check it out and everything.....

It would eat ANY OTHER BRAND of 7.62x39mm ammo on the market..............but not Wolf. :?

I sold the freakin' POS. :D

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:40 am 

Hunter07 wrote:
Q_Continuum wrote:

Yes and no.

I had a Yugoslavian SKS that wouldn't eat Wolf ammo no matter what. Had the local gun shop check it out and everything.....

It would eat ANY OTHER BRAND of 7.62x39mm ammo on the market..............but not Wolf. :?

I sold the freakin' POS. :D

Because if it won't eat Wolf, something's wrong with it? :-D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

Q_Continuum wrote:
Because if it won't eat Wolf, something's wrong with it? :-D

No. I like my guns to shoot anything I feed 'em.

I don't buy ammo online, so I have to buy what I can find locally. Sad to say, Wolf is most popular around here and other brands seem to be hard to find or more expensive.

Lately I've been getting away from Soviet Bloc firearms and sticking with US calibers. 8)

Besides, I made out pretty good on the sale. :D

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:17 pm 
Journeyman Member

That's odd. I have a Yugo 59/66 SKS and it shoots Wolf, Brown/Silver Bear, etc just fine. The only FTF's I had were in the dead of winter with Golden Bear as I think the lacquer was affected by the cold. My friend had Silver Bear (zinc-coated steel case) and that ran just fine in the same rifle.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:50 pm 

my yugo sks eats wolf ammo like a little kid on halloween lol it its anything and everything i can stuff in it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:24 am 

Q_Continuum wrote:
singhcr wrote:

Dirt cheap stuff that works is not necessarily bad, but if you're into reloading steel cased ammo is just plain useless, period. I refer to any steel cased ammo a cheap Kommie Krap not only because of stuff like the lacquer coating that can weld a case into a chamber, but more importantly and much less visibly, the fact that this stuff is made with Kommie Kwality Kontrol as well. That basically means that unless a case gets squashed in the production line and is totally bent out of shape, it's ready to be sold!! That's the other thing about Eastern Bloc ammunition. Suppose you get a real bad round that actually blows up in your face. Do you really think anybody in Russia or Chechnya will care about the liability issue, or that you will even be able to come up with somebody to sue?? Hoo-hah!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:55 pm 

I have an XD45 that has never had any problem loading and firing any round I have put in it. However I had Tru Glo night sights put in by gander mountain and went to the range with my first boxes of wolf ammo. It kept shooting to the left and I was about ready to go back GM and have the sights adjusted. Just for shits I bought a box of MagTech and put all 50 rounds right smack dab in the center. The wolf ammo shot fine, it just shot left for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:13 pm 

[Benny Hill head slaps]

Well, DUUUHHHHHH?????

It's COMMIE AMMO, fer chrissakes!!

Of course it shoots to the left!!!

[/Benny Hill head slaps]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:53 am 
Raving Moderate

Seismic Sam wrote:
[Benny Hill head slaps]

Well, DUUUHHHHHH?????

It's COMMIE AMMO, fer chrissakes!!

Of course it shoots to the left!!!

[/Benny Hill head slaps]

*rimshot*

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:41 am 
Longtime Regular

Feeds and shoots fine through my Mini-14. Dirty, yeah, but a lot of American ammo is getting dirtier, it seems (recent WWB? Blech!).

I've got the newer, non-lacquered stuff in both FMJ and HP. A magazine full of .223HP is my "reach out and touch someone" choice.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.